October 01, 2012

NOT ALL LOSSES ARE BAD.

SEEMS to me that people aren't seeing the Arizona loss clearly. It was a beating, but as I said before, sometimes the thing a team needs most, is a good solid punch in the mouth. A loss needn't be a bad thing if you can use it as a teaching tool.

This team hadn't tasted defeat since Game Twelve last year. No matter how bad they played, or how poorly the game was called, there always seemed to be a treat at the end of the maze. Hard to be hungry when you keep being fed. Take Week One: SIX turnovers + 56 pass attempts called for a QB who'd played all of 12 preseason snaps + 12 penalties = a win. Then Week Two: FOUR turnovers + a halftime deficit to a bonafide playoff team = a win.

Huh? 

Something HAD to give. Either the EAGLES had to get it together or they would earn the right to reformulate the rules of how to win NFL games.

Better that loss was LAST week and not THIS week against a division opponent. Better an EARLY wake up call than a LATE one. 

4 Comments:
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I don't think it's just the Arizona game that has people worried. I think it's a culmination of everything that has happened so far. These victories haven't been pretty, but that doesn't matter. A win is a win. If they can win while they are struggling they could become unstoppable when they truly put it all together. It's better to lose ugly than win pretty. There were a lot of positive things to come out of the Giants game, but they are clearly still a work in progress.
  • Exactly.

I think the worrying is the part that bugs me though. We have a team that (like you said) can win while they struggle. They lead the division while struggling MOSTLY with self-inflicted wounds.

This is exactly why I'm NOT worried and wasn't during the preseason. We were ALWAYS going to be a work in progress in 2012, once we didn't have an offseason in 2011 to get all these new players to gel. I'll give an example.

You may remember that I have a background in comedy/performing, so I'll pare it down to something real simple.

Abbott and Costello's "Who's On First?" routine. It's a 7 minute bit. Learn the lines with a friend and then get the timing down. See how long it takes to get just those 7 minutes perfect.

After that realize that the bit doesn't have any assigned movements. And no one is trying to impede you as you perform. And there are just 2 of you not 11 of you to get moving in ONE rhythm. And even when it's all said and done, it's still only 7 minutes.

That type of chemistry takes time. And there are no shortcuts to it. Learn the bit (it's great at parties) and you'll see what I mean.
  • Like I mentioned to GTD. There are plenty of teams who are right now in worse shape than the Eagles that were all predicted to make the playoffs. Still I get why people are concerned. IT'S PHILLY! THAT'S WHAT WE DO! Time and time again we have believed only to be letdown over and over again. People aren't going to stop worrying until the Eagles give them a reason to stop worrying. Nothing is wrong with that. They are still cheering like crazy supporting the team. Nobody (especially the Eagles) should be offended that the fans want to see the Eagles play like the well oiled machine everyone knows they have the talent to be capable of being.

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.