April 11, 2013

offensive wish list

Ok so I haven't put out my round by round who I want the Eagles to take. I'm putting out an offensive wish list and a defensive wish list. Guys I like and think the Eagles should be looking at. Then at the end of each I'll state solely based on if the Eagles were to go straight offense or defense in the draft (in this case offense) what positions i think they should target where. 

After I finish my defensive one and post it I'll combined the two and put together my final mock draft of who i'd like the eagles to take and where.

hope you enjoy and i'd appreciate the feedback and input. it'll be used when i do the final mock. 

Remember this post is only focused on offense and treated like the eagles don't even look at the d. the next one will be the reverse. 

18 Comments:
  • I tend to agree with you assessment here. With so much talk about EJ and Geno, I doubt if either of them are on the Eagles list unless Geno just blew them away and I doubt he did. The line will be better next season with the return of some injured guys, but they are also old so if there is a chance to get one of the top tackles in the draft they have to take a chance there. If those guys aren't there I think they should move down if they can. They could move down, still be in play for a guy like Womack, pick up a tackle or quarterback to go along with an additional second or third. The problem will be if the Eagles can find the right trade parter. Somebody is going to really like a guy like Dion Jordan or Star in order to move up.
  • Offensive Tackle is getting WAAAAAAYYY too much attention for this system. Kelly said it would be a "run first system". If there's any truth to that, then we'll need a better interior more than we'll need better Tackles. Since there isn't a Center out there worth this team drafting, I'm thinking a Guard would make WAAAAAAY more sense.
  • Any one of those top three tackles would free up Todd Herremans to move back inside though, and Im not sold Warmack is with the #4 pick. But that's also why I like Long he's played both G and T, plus he's gonna already be on the same page as Kelly.
  • I like the way you're thinking. Tackle is definitely a HUGE need especially when looking at the injuries the starters are coming back from and also the lack of depth at tackle over the last couple years. Just like you stated earlier (and I have been stating for months) the Eagles could move Herremans back inside if everyone is healthy. The only position I would probably swap is I would rather see the Eagles draft a WR before another running back. I know there are big numbers (and some big bodies) at receiver but I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly get someone he wants and thinks could step into that #2 spot if Maclin isn't brought back in 2014. Too many hopefuls and long shots..it would be nice to see them get someone who they feel can definitely be that guy if they drafted a playmaker that early.
  • I like Mellette he is big which would be nice to have. Plus he could go pretty late. I doubt the Eagles will go after a RB but there are some guys I could see Kelly liking. However, I don't really see them going after any play makers at the wr or rb spots the immediate need isn't there right now compared to other position. Regardless of if Maclin signs again or not he's here this season and in a contract year guys usually try to prove themselves more then usual. If he doesn't come back next year then we cross that bridge then, but if we use this years picks to fix some problems then we'll have more flexibility next season to address WRs should Maclin walk.
  • Exactly why I typed IF the Eagles drafted a playmaker early and I am only going off what you had on your offensive wish list. I think in the mock I put together I had a QB and an OT in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (with Milliner going #1 but honestly would prefer they get Fisher #1 since they haven't brought in a OT in free agency and draft a corner in the 3rd...Darius Slay would be nice if he is still on the board but with his size and speed I'm not sure he lasts that long) and go strictly defense with the rest of the picks (one of their 7th rounders I stated returner at any position but corner preferred and I also was pulling for a punter to battle Donnie Jones).
  • Yea i'm working on my defensive wish list right now then i'll post that, and then merge the two together on what I think the Eagles should do come draft day.

I was really high on Milliner at the beginning. I still am I just don't think he'll go 4 at this point. Like you said I think they're going o-line. I did hear a rumor that the Eagles were courting Eric Winston. Or at least they were the favorites. Which even if they do draft a tackle would help the depth issue.

A returner is a need still and there's some good prospects late or even undrafted. as far as punters I'd rather have them focus on it next year to be honest.
  • I heard talk of the Eagles calling Winston right after the Chiefs let him go but haven't heard anything since except that there was some interest still. Like I stated earlier I would guess that if the Eagles plan to go after a starter early they are probably hesitant to give a player of his status and age a long term deal which he would obviously prefer.

I'd have no problem with waiting on a punter either or even bringing in a rookie free agent if any are available worth looking at. Jones will do and should be an upgrade over McBriar.
  • I wish the Helen keller Eag;le dance would become a crowd favorite. Spastic dances on bad plays. Have fun if they suck. Why be miserable. The fans have an opportunity to make their own fun. Why wait for Lurie & the bums. Spastic dances on bad plays would be hilarious. Cheer when they screw up and boo when they make good plays. How phuckin retarded would that be? It would be hilarious. I will call it in to WIP and make the offer on the air. i promise.
  • Tell me when you are going to call...I'd love to hear them give you the same type of reaction as you get on here before hanging up on you.

Have you noticed that no one is even reacting to your idea except for me? Get the hint.
  • we need either a OT or a RG early, round 1 or 2. i like lane johnson alot but so do the cards so trading behind them for him means we most likely lose him and i want to see the eagles trade back. i would go defensive in the first round with star, offensive in the second n third with kyle long and darick rogers. WR is a bigger neeed than people realize cause we will constantly have 3 on the field n need to be able to stretch the field. rogers has great size, 6-2 217, good speed at a 4.52 40, n can jump. has some character questions after being kicked off tenn. i think for drugs. to me thats not a big deal, its like surprise surprise college kids smoke weed n drink next ur gonna tell me they have sex. he could be either in the slot or the number 2 n run routes over the middle allowing maclin, the new slot guy, to run quick out routes like welker. this would keep avant as a sub n allow him to stay fresh for big 1st down catches on 3rd n long as the 4th WR. in the later rounds i would like to see them get ricky wagner OT from wisconsin. 6-6 308 has good size but isnt the strongest guy. that can be worked on so as a late round pick i would be ok with him.

in the draft im going:
    defense
    long
    rogers
    defense
    wagner
    defense
    defense
    defense

of course we would get more picks if we trade back our first but i would go defense with them.
  • I think if the Cards really want Lane Johnson they're gonna have to trade up. Joeckel and Fisher will be gone in the top 3 most likely if not the top 5. After that Johnson is the next best guy. I don't see him falling to 7.

As for WR I think the 3rd is a little early, there's a lot of low risk high reward guys who will be available late. Da'rick Rogers troublemaker perception might have him fall to the 4th or 5th, which I'd be more comfortable with. He's a big strong WR which would be nice but he needs to work on securing the ball before trying to make defenders miss.
  • Wide receiver seems to be a position full of depth on this roster. That and running back seem the least likely of positions to draft. We have signed and traded for two receivers already. We have more receivers on the roster than the roster can hold. I still think they need offensive and defensive lineman, safeties, a quarterback, corner back, and a linebacker with rush capabilities. There are too many guys who will be transitioning to 3-4 rush linebackers. I think they should consider drafting a guy at some point who is capable of naturally doing so.
  • I agree but late round picks are used for guys who you think could be good regardless of the teams needs. because if you're right then you hit it big. if not, whoever else you took probably wouldn't have made the team anyway.
  • My wishlist
    is to watch and see?
  • woah no really you're so cool
  • this draft is taking FORREEVEERR to get here!!!!!!! We just got a call at work asking if we wanted Season tickets to CLUB house seats..

WORK Said NO! but i got em to email me.. anyone wanna split this junk w/ me.. we'll figure out how to pay it ;)
  • Eagles,need to draft a tackle--for right side,move herramans inside--he is a BEAST INSIDE---WITH PETERS ON LFT TACKLE POSITION---DANNY WATKINS--is a an x-file--does he want to be a fire fighter--or play profess ball--clueless---draft another lineman in later rounds--to be safe,everybody else is can play. The qb position---draft a qb and set behind vick or foles,for a year to learn system---g smith or ej manual---if defense is fix and everybody is on board---the eagles season can be a sneaky 10-6 or 9-7 -the defense has to be hungry,like offense side--go get it!!!who would expect that--

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.