September 11, 2013

One Game In And Vick's Alredy Nursing Some Injuries.

Mike already seems to be hobbling around as reported, and witnessed during the game. It’s clear this offense and it’s pure volume of plays ran, combined with Vick’s own lack of ability to protect his body will eventually have Mike on the shelf. That’s why I think Kelly right now needs to get more touches for ALL of his backup players active for a game. The way the system is ran, it may be difficult to have too many substitutions at one time, but it’s not impossible to have some players moving in and out during certain sets of series. As much as I think Shady is a top 5 back in this league, he isn’t going to be able to last getting an NFL games worth of carries in the first half alone. Mike Vick’s body simply isn’t big enough to continue to take this type of punishment, and frankly Nick Foles WILL NOT LAST AT THIS TYPE OF PACE EITHER! Chip right now should start plugging in some reps for Foles. It’s not about whose the starter (we all know that’s Vick) but it’s about the preservation of both players. It also forces defenses to have to game plan for both players. At this point Kelly has stated he’s an equal opportunity scorer and since it’s possible that we could see the Eagles average well of 80 plays a game, I think it would be wise for Kelly to get his distribution numbers to reserves and backup up to a higher number. Maybe that is in his future plans. He’s already mentioned how he wasn’t that thrilled with how he utilized McCoy (too many first half carries) and we also know Kelly isn’t one to show his hand so maybe one game soon we are going to see a few games of both quarterbacks being used, and both Brown and Polk getting over 15 carries each.

25 Comments:
  • Although we get under each others skin we sometimes completely agree. And in this matter we aree. Foles should be given a series each half to start. I mean if Chip is gonna change the way the game is played he might as well go all in because he needs to have healthy bodies. I also agree on McCoy. he was gassed in that game. Thats when players make mistakes and get hurt. Teams will attempt to match chips tempo or at least play head games with that style. Everyone has to be prepared to play. Stay warm stay engaged. I think Foles can execute large parts of this offense and it would be a great way to manage Vicks health. I think kelly will use all types of tempos during the season and its a great way to mess up a teams planning. He is one step ahead of the rest of the league and I just have a feeling teams arent quite prepped for this style of play. I agree EZ dig into that bench, change the pace. We are one up right now.
  • After watching that game at this point I feel the concept of starters is almost a mute point. Granted the Eagles have players who are more talented than others, but even those guys will wear down and possibly get injured if they keep up this pace. In many ways the Eagles will be playing two seasons of football in the span of one season. The learning curve for this team will be fast. By week 8 everyone will be on another level of knowledge of this offense, but they will also be completely worn down. Kelly is going to have to use every man who dresses for games. Keep the players fresh, and keep the experience levels up for the entire roster. There may be a point when teams catch up to the Eagles, but I can't see that happening anytime soon. It's hard for me to admit this (because Andy Reid was over valued here, and we never had THAT coach before), but the Eagles right now have one of the brightest minds in football as their head coach. With that being the case he's still a rookie HC and he's making some mistakes, but it's nothing that experience wont fix.
  • I think even from a defensive standpoint I was suprised. They were hitting. They swarmed and punished. Wwe havent seen that in almost 2 1/4 years. If they can instill that effort week in and out only good things can develop. I liked when they picked chip , had my doubts with the Vick and Foles battle, and now I am convinced that this guy is the real deal. Chip has everyone in all sports buzzing. Some great athletes were wowed by the performance. I hope he is something special and I pray if he is Lurie gives him the proper talent.
  • I know you doubt this, but I believe Lurie wants to win too. The best way to help Chip I think is too stay as much out is his was as possible. That means the front office would do best not to mettle. Chip has full control of the roster, and making the decisions regarding such. I think the competition was the best thing that could have happened. It rejuvenated Mike Vick and raised the levels of both Foles and Barkley's play. Now if Foles is called upon even you think he's capable of being serviceable. I don't think Kelly does anything without it having a purpose. The Eagles could have done a lot worse with their coach this offseason. I wasn't all that thrilled with the hiring at first, but now I think they got it right.
  • I know hollywood. I follow LeBron, Kobe, and Kevin Durant on Twitter and they were all raving about this offense. It's definitely turning some heads that's for sure. That said, I think the Eagles as a team will have to continue to work on conditioning. This type of offense is like a double-edged sword. It will absolutely wear down an opposing defense. Hell, the Skins D was huffing and puffing after one quarter. However, it wears our own guys down considerably as well.
  • One thing to remember is while other teams will be facing this offense once or twice in a seasons the Eagles will always be doing it so conditioning will improve over time. No one other than our own defense will be used to such a frantic volume of plays. One other thing to consider is that I doubt teams in the future will be as inept as the Redskins offense was in the first half. We know our defense isn't one of the best so the chances of our offense having fifty plus play halves probably will not be the norm.
  • I wonder if your buddy still thinks that the players aren't buying in on this system and that the fans aren't excited about Chip Kelly? Maybe your next Amber Alert should be on flip's half dozen negative posts per week about Kelly and the Eagles we've seen on average since Kelly was hired.
  • I wouldn't worry about that guy. He thinks he's hurting us by not allowing us to comment on his crap writings, but now days he's not getting nearly as many responses as he used to. His arrogance has only hurt himself.
  • I get under his skin all the time Hollywood but I do enjoy commenting on his threads. I agree with him on this also. Vick will never play a full season and that is an organization's decision dude. They brought him in as damaged goods. Vick gives everything he has every game. The coach has to design a different set of schemes so he doesn't get hurt. Fat boy never did that. He let him run too much. A healthy Vick is a healty Eagles team and a dangerous one.
  • I can see us battling for a playoff spot this year but we won't contend for a championship until Chip gets his guy at quarterback.
  • If we are contending for a playoff spot, that would eliminate the possibility of Boyd or Bridgewater. In that case, I'd hope for Mariota or Hundley to come out. There's just something about Johnny Football that rubs me the wrong way.
  • We might have to trade up. As much as he acts like a punk Johnny may be the fit at a reduced cost. I know this may sound nuts but what about adding a Tim Tebow? We have options and I just think Vick has maybe one more season. I do think Foles is serviceable and an asset. I never thought otherwise. I just think he needs to be a 3 year guy thats eased in to playing from the bench into a large backup role or starter. And Chip seems to agree. Im glad he is in Philly. I think the Eagles look in shape. They arent carrying tons of fat.
  • It doesn't sound nuts, but Tebow is simply a terrible quarterback. Frankly he would set us back at the position. I still think at this point The Eagles shouldn't press to get a quarterback anymore. They have moved on from that now.
  • Yea, I wouldn't want the Eagles selling the farm like the Bears did for Cutler. Don't get me wrong. Cutler's good, but he's not THAT good. What they had to give up for him is what you'd expect to be giving up for somebody like a Peyton or what the Redskins had to trade to draft RG III.
  • If they can pick a guy at their position and he isn't a reach they should consider
    drafting him, but they may serve themselves better to go defensive. Get a shutdown
    corner, a pass rush linebacker, or a playmaking safety. Someone who can start day one.
    I'm not sure they will do that with a quarterback considering they have Vick.
  • Vick's injury and his injury history have to be given heavy consideration when looking at what the Eagles must do next year...get Kelly his franchise QB. Vick played a very good game in the first half on Monday night and did what he had to do to hold onto the win but his gimp seemed to help slow him and the offense down in the second half...we'd be foolish to think there isn't more of that to come this year. Year two under Kelly has to be about filling some critical positions with talent and that has to start at QB.
  • Kelly is going to need a bug athletic guy who can take some hits. I don't think he needs a big time runner to make this thing work, but the quarterback has to be smart with the football.
  • Can you say Tebow????
    He would do well under Kelly's system!
    3 passes in the second half for Vick, all that running?
    Sounds just like Tebow!!!
  • Not going to happen.
  • Never going to happen.
  • What are you my grammar check? I need you in my ipad.
  • I know some of the haters are going to surface and try to rip Chip Kelly and the Eagles on this one. For a loss it was still a very entertaining football game. I'm still very excited about this football team.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • It seemed like a rushed play overall. They should have let that one got to the two minute warning. It cost them a down.
  • I disagree Spottie. This isn't a game for WOMEN. Clean hit granny.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

MLB managers on the hot seat

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.