January 20, 2013

One Thing Chip Kelly Simply Can Not Do!

DON"T PULL A STEVE SPURRIER!!!! In other words don't go out and fill the Eagles roster with a bunch of Oregon Ducks and assume that will work in the NFL. Spurrier tried to pull that nonsense in the NFL. He filled his roster with a bunch of Florida Gators, snatching up a bunch of his old quarterbacks and wide receivers and boy did he fail miserably! Chip Kelly should not go out his way to pick up a Dennis Dixon and assume he will become a viable starter in the NFL running his old college system. This seems to be the suggestion of many, thinking it would be best for Kelly to go down such a path. It would be to his own demise. Kelly needs to do what he said he was going to do. Work his offense through the players on his roster. That is what smart coaches do. That is the simple common sense that has eluded Andy Reid for years, and it's why he lost almost every time he played a half decent coach outside of his division. Only Andy Reid would shelf one of the top 5 backs in the game to throw the ball with one of the leagues most turnover prone quarterbacks 30-40 times a game. Kelly shouldn't go chasing after old Ducks who are marginal players in the league. It wont be a winning formula. If he does go down this path then he will find himself out of the league just like Spurrier did. 

14 Comments:
  • I agree with you here but the good news is kelly has had a first hand look at alot of players in the draft and should have a pretty good feel for what players can play at the next level. I think our team has a good balance right now of veteran and young players. I think Kelly can weave what we have into a winner. I dont think Reid had that ability. He burned too many players. Whats kellys organization title anyway?
  • I think he is just the coach. Roseman is the GM. Smolenski is the money guy. They have broken up the responsibilities of Reid and Banner to three people.
  • I saw this today
    Chip Kelly claims he doesn’t need a running quarterback
    January 19, 2013
    by Paul Jackiewicz
    January 19, 2013

Most people believe Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly will need a quarterback that can run the ball to run his offense the right way.

Kelly claims that isn’t the case.

“[There’s] perception vs. reality,” Kelly said, per CSNPhilly.com. “My quarterback last year [at Oregon], Darren Thomas, who is up in the CFL, we played in 14 games, he ran for 200 yards. Everybody is like, ‘Well, you run a running offense.’ Well, look at the statistics, it’s not that. We don’t run designed quarterback runs or we’re snapping the ball to him and then running quarterback power.
    “Two years ago we played Collin Klein [of Kansas State] in the [Fiesta] Bowl game. The year before, Collin Klein carried the ball 317 times and [Oregon running back] LaMichael James carried it 271. They’re snapping the ball and he’s running. Tim Tebow, they’re snapping the ball, he’s running counter, he’s running power, it’s direct-snap stuff.
    “I’ve never been that way. We’ve run zone-read concepts, man-read concepts, where it’s a mathematical game. If there is an extra defender in the box, your quarterback can read him and by controlling him and reading him he is basically blocking him.”

While I don’t believe Michael Vick will be on the Eagles’ roster next season, I believe there’s a chance Nick Foles could be. I also believe that the quarterback Kelly is ultimately looking for, isn’t on his roster yet. I think he’ll draft the prototypical quarterback that he wants in April.

• I pretty much agree with you here. Foles or Vick will be shortterm
  • That was highly informative KS. It was also ver readable.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • When people don't know, they guess. That's why all the rumors pop up. Pay little attention to them.
  • This website sucks and is getting worse. I just spent significant time and research on a comment to your Eagles roster article discussing what cuts the Eagles MUST make and some they may consider and watched it post. Now there is no sign of it. Nothing at all on it that should be considered derogatory so I doubt it's being scanned or looked at.
  • Even if Kelly thinks he can work with one of the QBs on his roster I wouldn't doubt he invites a QB or two that fits his system that has helped him get this shot in the NFL. I agree with what your point is but the problem with that thinking is that their is NO bonafide starter on this team let alone a franchise QB. We know what Vick is and I'm hoping Kelly wants to get the Eagles out of that rut and we just don't know what Foles will be in the future. Looking at the draft and who is available via free agency the best option for him would seem to be Geno Smith but I doubt he's there with the Chiefs and the Jaguars picking ahead of them. Even before the Kelly signing I stated I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles picked up a free agent and/or drafted another QB this year and let them battle Foles and the best man wins (with what Foles has shown and his year with the Eagles he would obviously be the lead man in the battle unless the Eagles do draft Smith). My stance certainly hasn't changed now that Kelly has come in and has won with more of a mobile QB. I like the way Foles moves in the pocket but will it be enough in Kelly's system? He states he doesn't need a mobile QB to win and I hope he's right because that opens up the chances to see if Foles can develop.
  • easy Im not a writer im learning and might help to get some positive feedback as well. Im more a spoken word dude.
  • Just keep bring input your stuff. I would rather read that then crap a certain guy is putting out about the Raiders.
  • easyeagle as I seee it
    your the eagles #1 fan
  • I think you need to pay some attention to the things Ive been saying:

1. Flacco is a top 5 QB.
    2. The Ravens run a top quality organization

Like Harbaugh said- Everyone in the organization has to be moving in the same direction. When I watch the heart and comraderie of the Ravens from the top down Im embarrassed to say Im an Eagle fan.
  • and the season hasnt even begun?? it will be interesting to watch as well as read...

Update: February 03, 2013
    lets add please everyone....he wont be able to do that

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

Brittney Palmer redefines sexy

12 college football coaches who are on the rise

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.