September 21, 2013

Our offense is in no mans land

Chip came to Philly with a concept that may or may not work.   Speed up the offense and run a read option.  Although I believe he is telegraphing his concept a little I like the general concept of his playbook with the talent he is working with.   Which , by the way, isnt a whole lot.  But there is something thats bothering me about his implementaion of this project.  He is ignoring the real idea behind it.   He is letting Vick fall into a big trap.   Vick is most effective making a quick decision.  He is at his worst when he stands around waiting.    If you look at the players on offense we have a tale of two concepts.   One is let Vick be a pocket passer and let plays develop slowly. And the other is get the ball quickly to these guys and let them make plays.   Looking at the names side by side makes it clear.

Celek---------Jackson

Avant---------McCoy

Cooper--------Vick

These guys have nothing in common.   I submit that if we are gonna be a read option offense it would be in our best interest to get the quickest even smallish receivers on the field.  Creating space in the open field is the goal.   How are we gonna do it with slugs like celek, Cooper and Avant?  We cant.   If everthing stays the same Vick is gonna be running alot more to keep defenses honest and eventually will succumb to exhaustion or injury.   We need to spread the field.   We need roster changes.  Cooper and Celek should be gone now.

9 Comments:
  • I think Kelly was a huge mistake Hollywood. This offense looked great for two games but a smart coach in Andy Reid figured them out. The Chiefs loss was crushing and it showed a glimpse of what I think is to come. The Eagles have always had talent. In fact I can't think of any team in the league that had more talent than them in the last ten years. It's about coaching dude.
  • Tonyrules, if I'd gotten on here about 5 hours ago, I would have typed what you typed almost verbatim. It's about coaching.

I wouldn't say that Kelly can't be an NFL coach, but he should have first taken a year or two as someone's OC just to learn the nuances of the NFL. This makes the climb ALL uphill and he has no time for a steep learning curve or a setback. It'll be all the more glorious for him if he can do it, but the likelihood is that he won't be able to make this jump because he's THE GUY, and he has no mentor to guide him through rough patches.
  • Colleg football is more like the pros these days. I dont think its as big a jump as it used to be. I think Kelly has been ok. I havent seen anything special except they are executing in a short time frame. Thats petty impressive in itself since Reid could never master the two minute drill. In fact Reids habits showed up in the Eagle game with poor clock management and plenty of those 4th and 1's. That KC team is going nowhere.
  • It is starting to catch up. Hell, I think Alabama may be able to give an NFL team a run for its money.
  • Thats true. We have to be patient with Chip and give him a chance to make changes abd learn . But time is of the essence in the NFL. No one cares about the Oregon Ducks.
  • Right now Avant is by far a better option anywhere on the field over Riley Cooper. Cooper stinks and there is no way around it. The line has been suspect the past two games. Whoever said this team was ready to make a Super Bowl run? The truth is everyone that is blaming Chip after three games said and wrote nothing but praises for Reid as he rand this team into the ground. He turned the Dream Team into a nightmare, but some clowns on this site couldn't stop kissing his wide posterior even after he tried to profit from his own son's death. The 1999 Philadelphia Eagles didn't win a football game until October 10th and that was against a crappy Cowboys team that was arguable worse than they were. That team went on to win 5 games, but at least they had a QB of the future. At this point the Eagles don't, and after three games if the mentality is pull the plug it isn't working then Reid would never have lasted 14 years here. If you are calling for Kelly's head then you aren't an Eagles fan.
  • Riley Cooper is a beast and would excel in any other offense. Pringles doesn't have a clue at the professional level. There is a reason why Riley is still in Filthadelphia.It starts at the top. Look at K.C. Andy has them undefeated. They are for real. The Turds are the turds and always will be the turds. Management has made them that way Hollywood. You know that. No clue at the top. Pringles was a mistake.

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.