January 20, 2013

Pat Shurmur Back As Eagles Offensive Coordinator.

Reports have Eagles former quarterbacks coach, and former Browns head coach Pat Shurmur to be returning to Philly as Chip Kelly's new offensive coordinator. A good move considering he knows the Eagles players fairly well and can help Chip Kelly find the best places to use the talent on the Eagles roster. Shurmur can also help incorporate plays into Kelly's offense that worked well in the past with the Eagles current personnel. Kelly tapping into Reid's old coaching pool is not all that surprising. Reid did the same when he kept on some some of Ray Rhodes coaching staff. Once again another indication that Chip Kelly isn't one that will force his style of offense on players who are incapable of running it. As one who was originally skeptical of the Chip Kelly hiring, I do feel that he is saying and doing all the right things so far.

16 Comments:
  • As I said about Kelly..very Innovative
  • Well he certainly seems to be making the right moves so far. With that being the case nobody in Philly will care if he doesn't win.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I like the move. It shows he's willing to integrate his schemes with contemporary NFL schemes.

I just hope it wasn't a move that Lurie/Roseman forced on Kelly. I'd like to think Kelly has most of the power here.
  • I get the feeling that part is on Keelly, but I'm sure they may have added their own input. I remember when Shurmur left. The brass wasn't very pleased he was leaving. I think they viewed him as an up and coming. He was definitely the next in line to be OC if Marty had gotten a HC position. There is still a lot of uncertainty with whatever the Eagles are trying to do here. The organization seems a little muddled as to who is in charge of whom.
  • sorry flagged by accident. Thats a good point. It almost seems they are trying to give each position a strong identiity. I guess you could say things are being decentralized somewhat.
  • Once Reid left I think the plan is now for guys to know their jobs and do their parts. Reid was like the boss of everyone, but I don't thin that is the case with Kelly. That would have never worked with Dungy, Cowher, or Gruden.
  • Like I asked earlier does anyone know what Chips title is?
  • its called pro sports??? is anyone in charge?????
  • I like having someone with experience but I can't wrap my head around the contrast in philosophy between him and kelly. All signs point to Chip running a more prototypical NFL offense.
  • All that is reported on NFL Network is that Shurmur was hired to be on the Eagles staff. There is no definitive decision (from the Eagles) as to what he would be doing. He could be the offensive coordinator, or he could have been hired to be the quarterbacks coach. I guess we will find out soon.
  • I think the Eagles stated that they are waiting until all the spots are filled before making any official announcements. Seems like they could be waiting to at least interview coaches from the 49ers and/or the Ravens.
  • Wouldn't mind seeing a DC from the Ravens or 49ers staff. Both teams seem to get a lot out of their players
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Concussions lead Texas QB to retire

LeBron's new and improved hairline

Another NFL player arrested

Mayor egged for moving ballpark

Nike halts Peterson sponsorship

Fan drops wedding ring on field

Ronda Rousey rips Cyborg...again

NFL, NFLPA agree, players reinstated

Five NFL surprises after two weeks

Adrian Peterson out indefinitely

Tony Stewart case goes to grand jury

WATCH: Barkley bounces first pitch

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.