February 12, 2013

PHILLY, WHIP YOUR VICK OUT!!!

MICHAEL Vick may have lost a step or three, but as far as mobile QB's go he's still top 5 in the league (RG3, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Vick in that order in rushing yards).

Chip Kelly should be able to work with that. If he can't, and he's still going to need a mobile QB, he's up ***** creek, because better isn't out there barring a monster trade.

Back in March in my "The 12" series, http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/the_12_9_get_our_vick_out_and_go_deep/10412725  I wrote that we had to get back to rolling Vick out, and using the short pass to defuse the blitz. A lot was made of how last year Vick wasn't being sacked by D-linemen, he was being sacked by LB's and DB's. It was the blitzers.

If Kelly decides to put him on the move, Vick will be back to doing what he is best at. Not standing in the pocket working on his Dan Marino impersonation, but blowing containments and warping coverages.

4 Comments:
  • Who else do you consider a mobile QB thats starting in the nfl. beyond those five because i dont see anyone else in which case vick then just the worst of a very small group. the guy behind those 5 in rushing yards for last season is Jake Locker with 291. if you look at locker and vicks stats side by side they are pretty damn close to the same. so to say vick is a top 5 mobile QB is just a nice way of saying he's the worst mobile QB in the league. where vick SUCKS is his td/turnover stat. RG3 27/7, Cam 27/15, Wilson 30-13, Kaepernick 15/5, and vick 13/15!!!!! thats total TDs (passing and rushing) vs. total turnovers (fumbles lost and interceptions). VICK ONLY HAD ONE RUSHING TD VS 5 LOST FUMBLES. even Andrew Luck, an obvious pocket passer who also had 5 lost fumbles had 5 rushing TDs to match. Vick isn't great anymore, this is Chip Kelly trying to find his best option out of a pile of bad ones. stop trying to sell vick as this outstanding QB who is the guy to lead us to the playoffs. if that was the case we would have been there the past two seasons. he hasn't been scoring, he's been turning the ball over, and he cant stay healthy.
  • Flip makes some sense when he hints that Vick won his roster spot because he is the best fit currently on the roster. That all goes out the window when he tries to sell us on Vick like we haven't watched the last two years. You get exactly what this decision was all about. Foles can't run the read option...Mike Vick may just die in it.
  • I don't get the ASSumeds mentality the since Vick can run he automatically the better option for this offense. In the NFL the job of the quarterback is to THROW the football. Vick's running skills have diminished, can't stay healthy, and oh by the way he stinks at THROWING THE FOOTBALL. There is no given Vick wins the job. Simply put if Vick doesn't bring his a game then he's not going to be the starter and if he doenst continue to bring it during the seson he wont stay the starter. True Nick Foles isn't fleet of foot, but that doesn't mean he isn't the better option when you also consider the negatives of Vick. I mean we saw last season Mike Vick fumble on the one yard line twice last seasons (once passing and once rushing), so what good is a running QB who can't hold onto the football? If the Eagles were still so sold on Vick the never would have restructure his deal to only one season. There is no deep commitment to him.
  • He stated just the other day that this was about more than Vick being able to run but looking at his posts he's really pumping that up. Seems to me that flip is pulling a hollywood and reading into things just to try to prove his point. He came on shortly after the news broke spouting about a 10 million dollar contract and stating that guarantees Vick will be the starter. He never even brought up incentives. I saw one report that suggested that Vick's base salary could be as small as 5.5 million and if that is true then all bets are off. At 5.5 million the Eagles will be able to sign another quarterback and still should be underpaying at the position. Flip also made some kind of comment that he can tell the Eagles aren't locking themselves into having to draft a QB by 2014. There is nothing I see that guarantees the Eagles won't even draft one somewhat early this year let alone 2014...not sure where he got that one from. Vick's one year deal and his age tells me that unless Kelly somehow thinks Foles can fit his system he better be thinking QB in the next two years.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

NBA free agency and trade tracker

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

WWE Battleground full results

Gallery: The best of Hannah Ferguson

Best NFL player at every number

Fashionable history of wrestling hippies

Most compelling storylines for MLB's second half

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

How trading for David Price changes the odds

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.