January 04, 2013

PICKIN'S ARE LOOKING PRETTY THIN.

THIS is not an attempt to prove anyone wrong, start and argument, or complain about moving on. 

We've made the move. We can't go back. After realizing that Andy Reid will never have to conduct training camp again just a few yards from where he was working as his son died, I realize that this move was more than likely best for him too. He'll pocket 6 mil in addition to whatever he'll be paid by whomever (the Chiefs) he signs with. He's fine. No need for me to b*tch about that.

US on the other hand, I'm worried about.

I asked months ago, if Lurie fires Reid, who do you replace him with? So far NOBODY seems high on the options we're being left with. This is not me saying "I told you so". In fact, nothing would please me more than the Eagles organizations saying "Shut the **** up, we got this!" and then proving that they do. However so far, all indications are that this isn't the case.

I'm not over the moon for the idea of winning a Super Bowl. If we do, GREAT! If we don't, I'd at least like to go into Sundays feeling like I'll have a contest to cheer during. I don't want the Death March that was the Ray Rhodes era. Every weekend bred the same crappy jokes from bitter fans, about how the Eagles couldn't fly, or how they were always getting "run over on the road to victory", or how Rodney Peete couldn't find his home because it was behind the endzone. 

I also don't want my local economy or my friend's personal economies to take a hit. A regularly sub .500 team is bad for not just Lurie's business, but also satellite businesses. Happy fans buy more stuff. Tee shirts, hats, sandwiches, drinks, etc. They also tip WAAAAY better. So for me this is a VERY nervous period. I'm praying that they get this right and that we get a bonafide winner and don't end up couple years from now listening to people on 94WIP debate over whether Lurie was dumb to do what he did or not.

Just for the record, I say "not".

17 Comments:
  • After Reid, Lurie should have let Roseman go. Instead he absolved the guy of all the problems of the previous two season of him being the GM and blamed Reid and Banner. Conversely he gave Roseman all the props for the 2012 draft. Roseman not being involved may have been the biggest fib Lurie's has ever dropped on the team. I would have rather he just told us he was his guy and that's that. With that being the case I think Reid coming back would have been detrimental to the team. He lost the locker room. He lost the majority of the fan base. Even the media guys outside of Philly turned their backs on him. Economy wise the fans weren't buying any of those players jerseys, and the way fans were pouring out of the stadium as early as they were in those games hurt the pockets of Lurie too. If fans aren't buying it would still hurt the economy. The loss of Reid, just like loss of Dawkins, and McNabb aren't what concern me. Making the right choice after those people are what concern me. They still haven't replaced McNabb and Dawkins. Maybe Lurie picks another Ray Rhodes, but maybe he picks a better Reid. The not knowing may be the biggest factor, but honestly I not all that concerned about it until I see who they choose.
  • That pretty much sums it up. Speaking of DMac, I heard he's against hiring Chip Kelly. I'm actually with him there. It's more for historical reasons though. I've said it before and I'll say it again. College coaches do not have a good track record of making the jump to the NFL. Guys like Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll are exceptions because they've actually had NFL experience prior to being hired as head coaches. This isn't just recent history either like Petrino, Spurrier, and Dennis Erickson.

You could go back to the 1970s. The Packers had this HC Dan Devine. He was highly successful in the college ranks at Mizzou and Arizona St., but he was a massive flop in the NFL with a record of 25-27-4.
  • I agree that what matters is what happens now. But you have to admit with this franchise's track record under Lurie of replacing a "the best we've ever had" type (Reggie White, Dawkins, McNabb) there is a more than a little room for concern now that we have to replace the best coach in franchise history. Especially given what seems to be left on the table.

Even you expressed concern over Chip Kelly. As his version of the Spread Option is experimental (and will likely require a player we're about to cut and not replace...) You saw what happened in Washington with Steve Spurrier. How many years did that set them back? The franchise became a laughing stock and they couldn't get a decent coach to sign on with them afterward. They had to coax Joe Gibbs out of mothballs just to sell tickets, remember? Remember how ticked he was over what became of the team he loved? Last time I checked the Eagles didn't have a former Super Bowl winning coach they could beg to help them restore some credibility.

They need to get this right, but if they get this wrong, they have to get it wrong where they're left with a shred or two of credibility for when they have to fix the error. To go from best coach in franchise history to a college coach trying to make the jump while running a controversial system? If you nail it, you look like genius. Fall short and you look like you hired an Offensive Line coach to be your Defensive Co-ordinator.

Of all the options available I still have yet to hear anyone on here mention a coach they coveted other than Jay Gruden.
  • Truth is flip The Eagles under Reid have taken a down turn for some time now. Keeping him wasn't the answer. I am trying to give Lurie the benefit of doubt. No I'm not a fan of Chip Kelly, but as of today he's not been hired. I'll worry on that if he does get hired. A change needed to be made and it wasn't just for change sake. No winning season in two years. No playoff win in 4. Coaches that have been to the Super Bowl more recently that Reid have been fired for doing more with their team. I am going to wait and see on this one. Chip Kelly might be the guy, but I'm betting its a smoke screen.
  • I'm confident we'll replace Reid with another coach that will at least go 4-12.
  • Who Mike O'Brien and The guy from Atlanta? The guys staying put don't concern me since didn't want any of those guys anyway. (Remember, I put Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher on my wish list.)

You bring up an interesting point mentioning Lovie Smith. When you mentioned his availability you didn't say that you want him here. Nobody has. Same for anyone else that's been bandied about so far. Even Mike McCoy hasn't really been cheered for much.

This so far looks like when Eygpt ousted Hosni Mubarak. The people got their revolution, but then didn't really have a clue as to who they wanted to lead them. They had an election, picked a president, and are now so happy with him that a second revolution in 3 years is threatening to take place. All I'm saying is it helps to know which way you want to go if success is really what you are chasing.
  • I want them because they're both work ethic coaches who will get in your face and don't have sacred cow players. If you can't perform the coach will move on. They don't take guff from officiating crews, and neither shies away from the run game. You want a coach who can manage a clock. Here are two of them. They also aren't thin skinned, which helps a great deal with this environment.

As for Gruden not developing QB's, you're right. In fact I can't think of any young players who owe him their development. Gruden excels with veterans (See: Raiders and Buccaneers). That spells trouble later perhaps, but for fans starved for a trophy NOW, and a team stocked full of veterans NOW, the math only makes sense.
  • Dude seriously. You asked me for reasons why I wanted who I wanted and I gave them to you. If I was just chasing names, I'd have said some bullsh*t like Jimmy Johnson, Dick Vermeil or Bill Parcells.

As for this list: Chip Kelly, Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians, Gus Bradley, Mike Nolan, Keith Armstrong, Greg Roman and Vic Fangio (who I'd LOVE). Jay Gruden, Paul Guenther, Ben McAdoo, Edgar Bennett, and Mike Zimmer were mentioned as possibilities but not as being on any list according to that article.

That list contains EIGHT names of confirmed interest. Add in Mike O'Brien, Steve Sarkasian, and Dirk Keotter and that list balloons to ELEVEN guys. If you come to a fork in the road and you have to consider ELEVEN options, that indicates anything EXCEPT having a plan. When you know where you're going you just go there. That's my whole point. It's the point of the article.
  • In fact I CAN tell you I wanted both before they won Super Bowls. ESPECIALLY since I've repeatedly said that winning a Super Bowl isn't big deal to me. If Super Bowls meant that much to me, why on Earth would I root for a team like the Eagles? And if I were chasing names then why wouldn't I also mention Brian Billick who has said he'd like to coach again.

I keep saying that we won't get Gruden (Jon) or Cowher because I said they're too smart to come here and coach for these fans (http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/how_spread_are_our_options/12541948). In that same post, I say I KNOW we won't get either. But just because I won't get them doesn't mean I cant want them. Lots of lottery players will never be winners.

I haven't taken shots at you for liking Jay Gruden or even demanded that you explain why, (they way you've done to me over the guys I like). It's your god-given right to like who you like, and I've shown you that respect. This is the part where you show you deserve respect by showing you can return it.
  • Anyone else watching the Cotton Bowl right now? The more I watch of Johnny Football the more enthralled I become. Seriously. I would literally kill to get this guy in midnight green after next year.
  • All the eagles need to do is just keep playing like they have the last 2 seasons and you may get your wish. But yeah, the guy is electrifying to watch.

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Gallery: Dancers of the NBA playoffs

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

10 best scenes from baseball movies

10 GIFs that sum up the Mike Woodson era in NYC

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.