July 03, 2013

REMEMBER KEVIN KOLB?

LOOKING up Kevin Kolb (prompted by an NFL.com 32 in 32 article), I noticed something truly bizarre. Despite the fact that he's heading into year 7, and the fact that he has opened EACH of the last 3 seasons as a teams starter, Kolb has NEVER once, thrown for 2,000 yards in any season of his career. In his best year he posted only 1,955 yards.

This is due primarily to the fact that he can't seem to stay healthy. Really, Kevin Kolb in 6 seasons so far, has NEVER played more than 9 games in ANY season. 9 TD's is his career best year.

It's kind of weird isn't it? Kevin Kolb or Michael Vick, it seems we would have gotten stuck with a lot of back-up QB play no matter which way we went. BTW: Neither player has seem the playoffs since they stopped playing behind a guy named Donovan McNabb.

29 Comments:
  • I still say dmac would not have declined the way he did if he stayed here. Washington was just a bad place for him and by the time he got to the Vikings he was fat and lazy. I would say that he appeared to be showing up to camp every year in worse shape from about 05-the time he was traded but his last year here was one of his best. We clearly didn't have the qb to replace him and only a fool would think we did with kolb or Vick.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Some of us said the Washington trade was a bad move when it was made. So far that trade has yet to bear fruit for the Eagles. (We gave up McNabb for a 2010 2nd rounder (Nate Allen) and what became the #110 pick in the 2011 Draft, which we traded for the #116 pick (Casey Matthews)in that Draft, and the #99 pick in the 2012 Draft. That pick we trade to Houston for DeMeco Ryans.)

So far that trade yielded us a search for a franchise QB, a suck a** FS, A LB who can't get off the bench and talented MLB that we can't figure out how to use.
  • Ruined a franchise called the Philadelphia Eagles. Laid the seed for the mess they have now.
  • I read an article that panned the Eagles free agents as a bunch of scrubs. Ill try to find it but it was very revealing. Cary Williams was one of the worst rated CB in coverage. 2nd most TDS of a starting QB. Our new DT played 30% of snaps and has less than a handful of sacks in 8 years
  • 2010 coulda been the year if we would of held onto Mcnabb and Bdawk.
  • I CANNOT help but believe that. McNabb put together a very solid season with a dreadful Foreskins team, and although Vick was hot that year, he DID miss 4 starts.
  • Joe Banner will be forever vilified and demonized in this city for letting BDawk walk. I for one will never forgive him for that. To me, that is his lasting legacy.
  • There was definitely no winners in the McNabb trade. We're still without a QB and Reid completely cocked up the picks we got out of it. Also with that article, I'm a big believer in advanced stats. Lost in the QB situation is the dire dilemma our defense finds itself in personnel wise. If we were to get a high enough pick, perhaps Clowney might be in play. Though I think we all know who I want next year's draft.
  • See?

These comments are what I keep talking about. None of you are "picking on the Eagles" or trying to sell them or the new coach short or some such nonsense. (Admittedly I don't think this one will be very good.)

You are fans with some doubts and some legitimate questions. The questions you have are also questions many players have. They want answers from the only place they can get them. It is not picking on a man for holding him responsible for his actions or asking him what his intentions are.

We got left with a mess. Whether you blame Reid, Roseman, Lurie or me; it's now got to be cleaned up. That is where my attention has been and is focused.
  • I dont think they have even begun to phathom the mess they have,. The free agents they brough in on D are a bunch of castoffs and scrubs. You are right about Demaco Ryans . he has talent and can lead but what left Philly last year was far more talent than what they got in return. im not convinced we even have a D line. Our secondary will get torched. Cary Williams isnt that good. Hes not a #1. hes a third choice. The big Dlineman we got from SF plays 30% of snaps and has paltry numbers. Phillips and Fletcher ? What the hell have they done? And Chung is like Coleman. Our D will be the achilles heel. Vick wont be able to lift us out of this mess. He will get blame and we will see Barkley early on. This team is going nowhere right now. If Vick can play like an allstar he might get lucky but Im not counting on it.
  • Chung is a bum and Phillips is wasted cap space.

Fletcher was a solid NFL CB until he gut hurt. Initially there was some talk about getting a look at him at FS, but I haven't heard about that having happened yet. I hope it happens though.

Williams might be overrated, but unless he's outplayed in camp, he's still by any measurable, the best CB we have. Also he's willing to hit and that's not something that grew on trees among CB FA's this offseason.

Sopoaga is a run plugger. We've been getting gashed in the run game for years now so you need a gap control guy to slow that down. The Raiders just added 2 players like that in Pat Sims and Vance Walker. Neither man put up much in the way of sack numbers, but then neither did John Jurkovich, Tony Siragusa or Casey Hampton. Soap will be solid for us at the point.

The problem isn't the talent, it's the scheme. Then again I said that about the Wide 9 too as it warps the responsibility zones for everyone NOT playing on the line. Teams who have failed at running it far exceed those who've succeeded.

I think what's going to bite us is the scheme. If you took Allan Iverson and played him a Center he'd have sucked. You have to use your talent well, not just stockpile lots of it.
  • Had the Eagles just stuck with Kolb, RG3 or Andrew Luck would be under center today for the Eagles. Instead we have an injury prone turnover machine and a bunch of guys. Reid would still be coaching the Eagles (although I'm, not sure that would have been a good thing), and we would be the team on the rise in the division instead on the team at the bottom of the division. What a shame.
  • Thats a major assumption. And has no basis in fact.
  • Neither is your assumption that Andy Reid is a pimp, but that's besides the point. Let's get down to the knitty gritty. I know that you believe Kolb isn't a starter in the NFL, and I would agree with you. So if Kole isn't a starter and the Eagles had him as their starter they most likely wouldn't have won many games. Heck they have had Vick as their starter and still haven't won many games. The truth is had they stayed the course, realized Kolb wasn't the guy they may have decided to tank the rest of the season like the Colts did. Instead they chose to win those 4 meaningless games in the end with Vick. They doubled down on fools gold. They put more emphasis on those 4 wins than they ever should have and they thought too much of Mike Vick. They crapped out on both, lost their chance at RG3, and now he's going to be making them regret those 4 meaningless wins for the next decade unless they can find a way to right that mistake.
  • Roseman needs to start being held accountable. We've gradually gotten worse since he became GM and now 8-8 is an acceptable season. A lot of key moves have backfired over the last few years.
  • Well somebody in the organization is lying. We heard that Watkins was a Roseman pick at first, then he suddenly became a Reid/Banner pick. Now they are giving all the credit of last season to Roseman. Personally I think it's a bit too soon to pat him on the back for last season since none of those guys became pro bowlers yet, but they did anyway. At some point if the current batch of young players fail to live up to the promise somebody other than a coach is going to have to answer for it.
  • I been saying this and saying this. I also think his presence has kept better coaching candidates from coming here.

Like you said, now we have people HOPING for 7-9, 8-8. Just 3 years ago 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs had folks pissed. Now 7-9 is PROGRESS and we should play the "Tank the Season" game.

Somewhere along the road some decided that expecting less was a way to not be disappointed. Instead now they shoot for disappointment and hope for a pleasant surprise.
  • True.

Although Andy didn't do a great job of blending the personalities from 2010 on. They brought in a quiet technician like Asomugha and then brought in a flake in DRC, and shipped off showboat Asante Samuel.

There was no Eric Allen/Ben Smith, Troy Vincent/Bobby Taylor, Lito Sheppard/Sheldon Brown type common ground for players to determine a baseline identity for what that position (CB) means here. Vastly different men approach the job very differently and the identity as a whole suffered. No great defense was EVER without an identity. Not a nickname, an identity.
  • While we've largely gotten off the subject, I am SERIOUSLY digging the adult behavior exhibited in these replies.

You guys rock!
  • I kind of agree with spot about Reid as GM but I think he had too many bad interactions with players to make that work. He really was unprofessional in his last 5 years and he alienated the people the made him. He ruined his standing with the fans by being arrogant and wasting talent. In reality some other coaches or organizations would have won a few superbowls with Mcnabb. They Eagles blew it. That QB that EZ is looking for was in Philly from 2000-2010
  • I'm not arguing McNabb wasn't that guy, but the reality is he's no longer here, and even if he were he's no longer that player. The fact is until the Eagles find another McNabb or better they wont be better. Front office people wont change who is or isn't the coach. The Eagles TARGETED Chip Kelly and got him. They sent another candidate home in the middle of an interview to get Chip Kelly. As far as Reid being a FO guy I'm not so sure about that. I don't think he's made the best choices as a player personnel guy especially in the latter part of his career. I also don't think he likes the of sitting on the sidelines. Him upstairs would only have brought pressure on the new head coach. It would be like trying to coach while Parcells is upstairs waiting in the wings. Somebody would always be either asking him if he would ever coach again or they would be wanting him to coach again. The bottom line is Andy Reid is a football coach.
  • Thats a valid interpretation. I think his personnel choices were horrible at the end and both jobs demand different skills. I agree Im not sure it would have translated into a positive executive position for the Eagles or anyone for that matter. He may just be a coach. But his slippery ways reminds me of a politician and they tend to come out on top for a while.

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.