May 11, 2014

REMEMBER THIS?

THIS Draft has that Ray Rhodes feel to it.

Rhodes took over after Rich Kotite's team collapsed the year before, and we went 10-6 with a playoff appearance. In fact, we were 10-6 twice under Rhodes at first, but then the talent pool was diluted by bad draft after bad draft. Producing a winner with good pieces was no problem for Rhodes as a coach. Evaluating good players to add on the other hand, was a skill he could not master. 

Rhodes used his own eccentric system to determine which players would fit his team. (Actually Rhodes had an eccentric way of doing everything.) Openly questioned first round reaches like Mike Mamula, Jermane Mayberry, and Jon Harris (remember him?) littered his first 3 years.

That's not to say that his system had no merit. It was Ray Rhodes who brought us Ike Reese, Duce Staley, Bobby Taylor, (LB) William ThomasJeremiah Trotter and Brian Dawkins. His system just failed to take into account that he didn't play in a vaccuum. He was so enamored with HIS WAY, that he failed to see the race passing him by.

Chip Kelly took over after Andy Reid's team collapsed the year before, and we went 10-6 with a playoff appearance. 

Kelly has his own eccentric method determining which players will fit his system. (Actually Kelly has an eccentric way of doing everything.)

Questionable first round picks?

Drafting a LT with the 4th overall pick is hardly unusual. In fact LT's have gone #1 overall on more than one occasion. Drafting a RT 4th overall?...I can't recall anyone else having done that one. 

Taking an OLB at #26 who was projected to go anywhere from round 2 to 4...liiiiittle questionable. Bit of a reach. 

But! What can I say? The guy is enamored with his system, so.....

18 Comments:
  • At least the Boys made a valid attempt to solve defensive woes while Eagles remained static quo.
  • Dallas sucks sucka.

With that being the case I am truly dreading the idea that Chip is the return of Ray Rhodes although I don't think Rhodes had as big of an ego as Chip. I'm trying not to judge to harshly their draft as I'm no draft expert and frankly selections are subjective. I don't feel that Mamula was a reach at the selection and frankly he fooled a lot of teams due to his combine. Smith was a peculiar pick for the position, but apparently the Redskins were planning to take him with their 2nd round pick and instead went with Trent Murphy. I'm not going to kill them for this draft even though I find it very underwhelming. The one silver lining is that Chip recruited or coached many of these players. He knows them better than most in the NFL so maybe he can utilize their strengths and mask their weaknesses.
  • I'm not sure why fans feel reluctant sometimes to voice their opinions. The truth is even the experts aren't experts.

On Draft night ESPN put up Mel Kiper's scathing pre-Draft evaluation of Ray Lewis, where he said Lewis was a finesse player who couldn't be effective vs the run. Kiper sat on the left, Jon Gruden to his right, and to the right of Gruden sat certain HOFer Ray Lewis. Even first round picks only pan out about 50% of the time.

You know what you're impressed by. Don't be afraid to lead from that.

As far as Kelly knowing his recruits +/-, I don't doubt it. But if his evaluation of them is anything like his evaluation of Jeff Maehl, Will Murphy, Brandon Bair, Dennis Dixon, or Josh Kaddu, things could get messy around here as he continues to stock us with lackluster former Ducks.
  • Bird this offseason had an air of arrogance. We are twenty years into this Lurie experiment and he hasnt delivered. Nothing being done this offseason leads me to believe the Eagles are poising to make any run towards the Lombardi. If they have a secret plan I would love t kow what it is because on paper I dont see how it is developng.
  • I don't see it either. Take the Saints game for example. There was NOTHING done to address that. I said for months our chief need was a pass rusher (and we got one...ish), but the world has seen that we can be pushed around and nothing was done about it.

Before you mention NT Beau Allen, YouTube some tape of him. He has 3 games there. Not just highlights, but whole game breakdowns. I won't even describe them. I'll back off so you can form your own opinion.

Also former Duck Taylor Hart. If you have time.
  • Yep they both went 10-6 in their first season so Kelly and Rhodes must be the same exact coach right?
  • No.

Rhodes was a defensive-minded coach who had NFL experience as a player.
    Kelly is an offensive-minded coach who never played.
  • I will also add that unlike Rhodes, I believe that Kelly has a legit NFL quarterback. Rhodes bounced from Peete to Randall, to Detmer, and Hoying. His QB situation was an absolute mess and it caught up with him. That along with his terrible drafting.
  • I think you are right. What Foles proved last year is he can move the ball . He looked comfortable with his supporting cast. Thats what makes the Jackson move even more odd. I mean if things dont go right for Foles it will be a major set back in his development. The thing I like most about Foles is his humble attitude. I think he possibly has that intangible element to his skill set. Is he the greatest? No . But he has shown he can run an offense without the bounds of his skills. No suprises. Consistency matters.
  • If Foles has a setback that opens the door for another Duck...
  • I sure hope not.
  • Mark rypien looked all world with Art Monk Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. Foles could end up i the same situation without the right receiver combo. Rypien proved he was slightly above average after he directed the redskins to a superbowl.
  • Shucks we drafted a Duck!
  • Looks like your season is over before it started. It's already time for your hibernation. Tough break on Sean Lee.
  • Not sure how much of this was actually "Chips" Draft guys. I know a lot of people keep saying that this was clearly Chips draft the writing was on the wall, blahblahblahba. For me that's simply not the case. Here is what I just wrote on gcobb:

Wiki Page: "He was promoted to vice president of player personnel on May 30, 2008. He was promoted to general manager on January 29, 2010 after Tom Heckert was hired by the Cleveland Browns in the same role.[4]"

Ignoring only 2008, we can draw the below conclusions:

When Roseman says: the draft is deep in X position. You can pretty much write it in stone that we are picking a player in that position come the second round. Example:

2009: Deep RB group – LeSean McCoy - Round 2
    2010: Deep Safety Group – Nate Allen – Round 2
    2011: Not a particularly deep class
    2012: Deep LB group – Mychal Kendricks round 2
    2012: Deep QB group – Nick Foles - 3rd round
    2013: Was not particularly deep at any one position
    2014: Deep WR group – Jordan Matthews - Round 2
    2014: Deep WR group - Josh Huff - Round 3

In the 2010 & 2013 draft Roseman and many others said argued that the draft wasn’t very deep and teams would pick the highest ranked player on their boards in round 2.

Roseman as VP clearly putting his imprint on the draft since 2008. It's probably why they moved on from Banner and gave him the job.

So when it comes right down to it. I'm extremely high on Jordan Matthews and Huff. Both could be play makers. Am I high on Marcus Smith? Absolutely not. No idea who this guy is. Do I care? sorta yes and sorta no. He was the 26th pick. In this draft class the 26th pick was basically a 2nd round selection. There is a reason why the Eagles couldn't move back any more. No one had a guy that they were really really high on in that spot.
  • I think they could have tried to get the Brown's 2nd and 3rd and let them keep their 1st. Maybe it could have been the Browns take our first and the Eagles get their 2nd, 3rd, and 6th. There was still a likely hood Smith would have been gone though so in the long run I guess Smith was their guy so they got him.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

Best NFL player at every number

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

Gallery: The best of Hannah Ferguson

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.