December 31, 2012

Report: Dirk Koetter To be Interviewed For The Eagles Job Today.

Reports from multiple sources have Lurie already looking for Reid's replacement. Like today! The Falcons offensive coordinator and former Boise State HC is supposedly expected to be in for a visit today. It's good to see the Eagles won't be procrastinating. There is a lot of people to talk to and it's good they are getting right down to it, but I do have one concern. It seems that the Eagles won't be bringing in a football guy. Roseman and Lurie will be the guys conducting interviews. Not too happy about that part.

16 Comments:
  • Banner and Lurie did okay in the past, hopefully Roseman and Lurie will do the franchise well in this search. I just hope they don't pull an unknown out of their hat although I guess you can say that is what Lurie and Banner did with Reid to an extent. No coordinator experience yet had a very nice run here. Reuben Frank predicted the other day that Lurie's choice would be Koetter (He thinks Kelly is #2). Glad to see that they aren't waiting until they get back from vacation to get started. LOL. Should be interesting.
  • Now do you think Lurie is a hands off owner?
  • That makes absolutely no sense at all. Of course an owner will have a big say in who his GM and head coach are. I have NO problem with that at all.
  • Listening to the interview right now. Apparently this is a three man team. Lurie, Roseman, and Don Smolenski. Lurie is saying they aren't brining him in today. We'll see what happens. I do find it interesting that Lurie is right now discussing how he expect a Super Bowl for himself and the fans. Funny how some so called fans don't think the Fans deserve a Super Bowl, but the owner himself just said we do. That's why I'm glad that some fans who have been in love with all of the mediocrity lately are exactly that. Just fans.
  • I was suprised that he used the words "superbowl" so much. It was refreshing to hear. When he first said championships I was a little suspicious. We will see.
  • Even if Lurie already has interviews set up he wouldn't tell the media out of respect for Reid and would want everyone to believe he fired him first before calling any other candidates. Maybe out of respect he actually waited but I wouldn't hold it against him if he already put the wheels in motion and started setting up interviews. Although the Eagles need to take as much time as they need to to pick out the right coach, they also need to strike if they feel strongly about a candidate. I'd hate to see them settle for their second or third choice because some other team stepped up and signed their man right out form under them. Even O'Brien...if Lurie feels strongly about him (if he is one of their candidates and O'Brien wants to interview) I hope that he opens up his wallet if he feels in his heart that he is the guy. I honestly doubt this happens (Lurie would have to pay out a total of 15 million with Reid's 6 and 9 towards a buyout for O'Brien just to bring him in and before paying O'Brien's contract) but if he feels strongly that he is the guy I would love for it to happen.
  • It's Atlanta. They'll be done after next week's game against whoever.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • there arent many coaching jobs normally and there is usually a large pool of candidates. I have no problem with it. Im just not sure this is the guy. Resume is kind of short.
  • I not enamored with Koetter. I'd much rather see Mike Mccoy.
  • Possibly the strongest offensive candidate candidate is McCoy. But I think the Gruden name has alot of emotional effect in Philly. The Gruden persona goes a long way. My choice right now out of the offensive coordinators would be Jay Gruden. Hes doing the most with the least. But there are some strong names mentioned out there. Tom Cable, Lovie Smith...etc. Although both arent cutting edge they are respectable coaches. And dont come with heavy price tag.
  • I agree with Howard Eskin. Eskin is stating the Eagles are really interested in O'Brien from PSU. We will see what happens, but I doubt Chip Kelly really is their guy.
  • CSNPhilly is reporting that the Eagles will be interviewing O'Brien and McCoy (I read earlier that O'Brien was saying he wouldn't leave and this report on CSNPhilly said that Penn State is coming up with a plan to try and convince O'Brien to stay). I think hiring O'Brien would be a good move in many ways. The Eagles would be getting what seems to be a very good coach who took a reeling team and led them to a better season than most expected, local coach (at least for a season anyway) that we were able to watch and grow to like and does seem to be liked by many (popular choice), he has NFL experience and it would be a good PR move by Lurie because it may convince some fans that money is no object for Lurie when it comes to winning a Super Bowl. It is a lot of money to pay out but hell, Eagle fans have to pay out money just for the opportunity to buy season tickets by way of seat licenses so why should that stop Lurie if O'Brien convinces him he is the best choice? Whoever the Eagles pick will get time to prove to me that he was a good choice before I start questioning the move. I'm not overly thrilled with some of the names of the retreads that are being thrown around but I will give any coach time to prove he belongs here. Sometimes coaches may just be surrounded by almost impossible circumstances in the city where they were, they aren't given enough time to turn their roster over, a young QB that is forced upon them that is just not good enough. Hopefully the Eagles make the right choice and give him whatever he asks for to make this another successful era.
  • From what I hear about the payout to PSU is that allegedly the buyout thing was the contract was before the sanctions went do. Maybe the Eagles could drop it to half if they truly want the guy.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

12 managers who are on the hot seat

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.