July 31, 2013

RILEY COOPER IS SATAN.

WAHHHHHH! Boo-hoo! Riley Cooper said the word nig**r! Burn him at the stake! Shred all his credit cards! Banish him from the NFL!

Relax people. 

Our starting QB ran a dog fighting ring, and Donte Stallworth was drunk AND high on weed, when he actually killed a human being with his car. (He would serve only served 30 days in COUNTY for the felony.)

So calm down. We've ALL seen worse. 

Fact is, Black football players use that word ALL THE TIME! In jest, confrontationally, descriptively... (When I played some of my White teammates used the word and nobody batted an eye; others wouldn't say it if you paid them). Athletes (regardless of race) also use the word fa*got quite a bit. Is it unenlightened? Likely. But then what's enlightened about trying to intimidate someone by the sheer amount of punishment that you are known for doling out? What's enlightened about a pancake block or a de-cleater? 

Ronnie Lott cut off part of his finger to play this sport. Andre Waters part of his big toe. Self-mutilation for the sake of competition. My point is, this is an unenlightened a game played largely by men who do NOT best represent the enlightened mindset. Considering the weight of some of their ACTIONS, (actions we cheer for, encourage, and reminisce about (See: Body Bag Game)), it seems downright silly to crucify someone over a WORD. (Especially one said in anger as an attempt to offend an individual in the first place.)

6 Comments:
  • Like Ive said Flip, you have to be able to say who cares? Havent we all heard everything before. i dont think the guy meant anything. I think he was showing off and isnt mature enough to know he has to be more careful. But I actually believe hes just ignorant but harmless. Fine him , make a public apology and move on.
  • First off he's an idiot for saying it on camera. Not cause he's white but cause he's a professional football player expected to take on a bigger role with the team and is white. I know white people who say it I know black people who say it I know brown people who say it. I'm white and I say it. I say it to stupid people regardless of their color race whatever. I've said it in north philly to south philly n back to the suburbs. Hell I've said it to wanna be rappers in time square. I get why black people may be angry but put on damn near any rap song sense 93 and its almost impossible not to hear someone call themselves or another person a n!gger. I honestly feel at this point it's the same as calling a girl a b!tch or h0e. Sme hate it other don't give a phuck
  • You know it wouldnt have mattered if he was white or black it was just a dope running his flaps. In a way its sort of encouraging that slurs really make the guy delivering them look like a clown. He only harmed himself and he doesnt really look mad at anyone in particular. Those words 50 years ago meant violence not they mark a man as a clown. America is getting better
  • And that's exactly my point. Making a big deal out of a WORD makes us ALL look small.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • maybe its better just to laugh it off and call the guy an idiot. It seeems to be working. We shouldnt allow the politicians and pundits to use it to garner attention for themselves.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.