December 08, 2013

Snow What?

So the Eagles needed a running QB otherwise Shady is ineffective? Shady breaks a team record that has stood since the 40s. Another myth busted. Foles can't bring a team back? Another myth busted. The Eagles haven't beaten anybody? They have now defeated two teams in on of the better divisions in football. Another myth busted. The Eagles can't win at home? Well we know that's in the past. Nick had his first interception today. It was bound to happen, and he struggled for nearly three quarters of football. Thankfully they play 4quarters. He got it going and so did the offensive line who frankly in the 4th bullied the Lions defensive line. The pass to Celek was one gutsy call. Most NFL coaches would have chosen to run down the clock and punt. "Pringles" as he's called by a certain Pats fan chose to win the football game. Now all of the pressure turns on Dallas. The Eagles winning has now kept both the Bears and Packers in the hunt. Looks like those Cryboys may find themselves facing an Aaron Rodgers led Packers team. If those Cryboys aren't carefully they won't have a chance at the playoffs by the last week of the season, be use the Eagles could have it locked up by then.

29 Comments:
  • That was really fun to watch. I sure wouldn't have wanted to play in that though.
  • This season for me has been highly enjoyable especially since Foles has taken over at quarterback. The Defense basically held Detroit to one offensive touchdown and that was due to the fact they were given a short field thanks to the Foles INT. This defense may not be statistically up there with the best, but Billy Davis deserves some credit. He has these guys playing outstanding football.
  • I just hope our resident Brokeback trolls were watching. This is going to be them in Week 17.
  • Ironically this win puts a ton of pressure on the Cryboys, because it keeps both the Bears and Packers in play.that means the Bears are going to give the fraud Cryboys everything they got and the Packers will likely play Rodgers against them too. The Cryboys could be out of this thing before we even see them.
  • If San Fran loses we control the last wildcard spot via conference record. It will be nice to be in the playoffs but even sweeter if we take the division crown and knock dallass out. I can't wait for next week. We get the Vikings most likely without ap. dallass gets the packers possible will Rodgers back on a short week after playing a hungry bears team on Monday. Then we will be playing the bears on a short week. Downside they might have cutler back but it will be a rusty cutler instead of an improving mccown. While we play the bears dallass plays a divisional game vs the skins. Week 17 might mean nothing.
  • I wrote the same thing. The Cryboys are really in trouble right now. This win against the Lions kept the Bears and Packers in play. I get the feeling the Cryboys will likely see Aaron Rodgers. I how come the Dallas game we can use the game to rest our starters for a playoff game.
  • Great game...exciting win. Nice to see McCoy step up in a game where he was sorely needed. Nice to see the whole team keep plugging away after they realized they were still in the game.
  • I think the line really stepped up. On some of those plays Shady was in the secondary before a Lion had a shot to even touch him.
  • The line and let's not forget about the defense again . Held them to under 21 yet again and 14 of that was on the Special Teams. Of course the weather gets a huge assist but both teams had to play today.
  • On the Eagles site everyone was sure Megatron couldn't be stopped. He was pretty much a no factor is this game. I'll give most of the credit to the weather, but our defense made plays too. Two more red zone turnovers by our defense. Looks like the 3-4 switch is paying off. Another one of flipflop 's faux pas.
  • I love how people are afraid of that Lions front. Our o-line stepped to them and punched them in the mouth. The result was a thing of beauty.
  • The line getting the push combined with Foles using the hard count had the Lions defense completely off balanced in the 4th. All of those Lions high draft picks were put in their place.
  • I gotta admit. I got a real kick out of embarrassing Washburn.
  • Yup right up the gut just like it happened to us. They should have been doing that in the first instead of even thinking of going outside regardless of the sox inches of snow.
  • I wonder if any of you noticed the Polk touchdown run was the same play call that was stuffed on the first series of the second half? The Lions blitzed the safety, he hit Brown for a loss, we punted, and the Lions returned it for a touchdown. In the 4th the Lions blitzed off the edge, but this time the Eagles used Casey on a trap block that sealed the edge. Polk had to break one tackle and he was off to the races. Not taking too much away from Andy Reid, but those are the types of in game adjustments Reid would rarely make. The best part was this time we didn't let up until the game was actually in hand. Nice win today in some crazy weather.
  • I missed this one . It wasnt televised in Balto and I go to a local tavern with my son to watch. We listened on the computer to WIP. They have to keep on playing at this level. I like there chances.
  • Google: First Row Sports

You can watch any live sporting event LIVE for FREE :)
  • That's one thing I like about you egrets fans. You put the flop,...... in flip flop. I don't remember hearing this kind of adoration after the 10-20-13 game,.....................hmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • That's what we like about dallass fans. Win lose tie u guys couldn't care less.
  • Come on, 20dawk. Don't you get that when Cowboy fans discuss their team losing that's exactly what it is...a discussion. When we do it we're complaining and whining and ripping on our team. We should take a lesson from the "great" Cowboy fans on this site....all one of them...oops, there was a Monster siting the other day so that makes two.
  • With responses like that. You might not, get invited to the Christmas dinner. So watch it.
  • At 3-5 (where the defense was getting gashed) there was nothing to "flip" about. Now that the defense hasn't "flopped" in the past 9 games the Eagles have given up 21 points or less per game.

QB Nick Foles is also 6-1 during this stretch (20 passing TD's, 3 rushing TD's, ONE interception in a blizzard and ONE fumble lost) while also leading the entire NFL in QB Passer Rating.

RB LeSean McCoy leads the NFL in rushing. Eagles rank #1 in the NFL in rushing yards per game (158 yards per game) and the offense ranks 1st in plays over 20 AND 40 yards.

The Eagles have the 3rd ranked offense in the NFL currently. I wonder if anyone thinks this "Chip Kelly/College Offense" will work in the NFL now? Obviously you HAVE to have a running quarterback to work right? And now the defense is playing better and better each week.

It's not how you start. It's how you finish. And right now it's looking like the Eagles are starting to hit their stride on both sides of the ball.
  • Good read Latin. You need to write something up. We haven't read your stuff in a while.
  • Sorry. I've been a bit busy and missing in action this year. I've been watching the games and visit this site time to time. I am however stoked on how well the entire team has improved. Happy to know that the December games have meaning again. If I get some time, I'll have to write something soon. Hope everyone is having an awesome year and fun filled holidays.
  • Exactly, Latin. I've been trying to get this across to some Eagle fans (mainly one but I won't type who) on here who buried Kelly from day one. Of course this team was going to struggle early at times especially when considering where this defense was last year not to mention what looked like no sure answer at quarterback. I'm surprised and thrilled that Foles is playing as well as he is and even more stunned at how quickly the defense is coming around. Another off season and this team could shock us all.
  • Why wait for next season? I say we win it all THIS season. :)
  • Always love your optimism, Latin. You just never know.
  • One of my favorite posters. Good stuff Latin. There's actually two things I have taken umbridge with today. One it's the experts that say playing in the snow compromises the integrity of the game. Are they joking? Football was made to be played in the elements. This is why I am looking forward to seeing a Super Bowl here in NY (I'm living in NYC btw). Also as a counterpoint to the argument that snow is bad for football, 90 TDs were scored in the NFL yesterday. That's a record. I don't buy for a second that you can't have an awesome game in the elements.

Secondly, Skip Bayless says he wasn't impressed and still believes the Lions are a better team. A laughable argument. I know the weather probably had an assist here, but they had 7 fumbles yesterday and lost three of them. To tell the truth, they easily could've and probably should've had more giveaways. Their lack of discipline bit them in the backside too. Nine penalties for 48 yards. I could go on, but I don't want to turn this into a soliloquy.

These are all points I look forward to bringing up when I interview with CBS Sports on Friday. I look forward to the chance to flex some of my sports IQ. I'm looking to fulfill a childhood dream. Wish me luck everyone!
  • Absolutely great points, GG. First of all, I think we all love Latin on here. His optimism and solid points on most Eagle topics always seem to be a hit on this site. Secondly, turnovers are a huge part of the game and are a big reason why the Lions are a loss away from being a .500 club and the lack of them are a huge reason why the Eagles offense is keeping drives alive. Maybe Bayless's point would be fact if the Lions didn't turn the ball over so much but they do so he would be wrong!

Good luck with your interview...hope you nail it!
  • I agree with Latin. Anything is possible when you have a hot team moving into the playoffs. Here are a few things I love about this team. The team doesn't make mental errors like turnovers and penalties, the offensive line has gotten stronger over the season, the running back is finally being used, the defense not only is holding teams to under 21 a game, but they are also getting turnovers, and gang tackling. Objectively looking at the Eagles they have all the ingredients to be a contender this year. Another thing I keep hearing about is how much fun they are having this year. Players are excited to get to practice. Chip Kelly has turned around the atmosphere of this football team. It feels good to be watching meaningful football in December again!
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

12 managers who are on the hot seat

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.