April 02, 2013

SO FAR SO GOOD.

AFTER the initial meet and greet between the coaching staff and the players, all reports indicate a mood of excitement. Players used terms like energy and hard work. They're still hungry for specifics, but at least they're no longer "frustrated" that they don't know what they'll be doing. 

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/dave-spadaro/article-1/Energy-Defines-Eagles-First-Day/5003ba2f-fca1-49cb-98f3-528da571883c

7 Comments:
  • Having a team that's hungry is a good thing. even if it is only for specifics. Right now though the mindset of the coaching staff is most likely focused on the draft. After that's over they'll start working on specifics or at least finish finalizing them and letting the players know. I know it's tough but no one should expect this to be overnight success. Pete Carroll had two losing season in Seattle before going 11-5 last season. It takes time and rushing things is never better then being patient and working out ever problem all the way though.
  • I expect that Seattle will be taking a step backward this year.

You make it sound as if the coaching staff is going into the Draft without specifics. Do you mean to imply that they still don't know what their plans are?
  • No I'm sure the coaching staff has a plan going into the draft and for after it. But without being able to interact with the players yet there's no point to start going over specifics of what they are going to ask of them because the coaches probably already have a plan as to go about it and want the players to follow that plan.

I mean guys already know Kelly's offensive philosophy offensively, and defensively it's no secret that they are going to a 4-3 under or a 3-4. Plus this keeps everyone on their toes. Some times not knowing everything that is coming can motivate guys to work harder while they wait for camp.

I'm sure though if Kelly wanted certain guys to get faster, or slim down, or whatever it may be that message has gotten to those players already one way or another.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Hey be an optimist. That's what being a fan should be. But be willing to cut the guy some slack if he doesn't make the playoffs but at least pulls 6-10.
  • That's what i've been saying too since they hired him... you have to give him at least two season to make his mark on the team. personally i'd give him three if by the end of the third we haven't make a legit run at the playoffs then that's when the scrutiny should come down. You have to remember that he didn't get to build this team the way he would have wanted it so you have to give him a shot to rework it.
  • The players better get used to this style from Chip Kelly. He's guarded with his secrets. He's not going to tip his hand until he has to. He's closed practices down for the most part to both the media and the fan base. At the same time he doesn't answer questions with the same nonsense like "gotta do a better job." Kelly clearly thinks on a different level from normal coaches, and it may take him some time to find the guys to buy into his system, but I'm glad he's making these guys earn it. The previous regime protected these guys far too often. Guy are going to have to put in the work to win their jobs. I love how Nick Foles made it clear he's fighting to win the starting job. Mike Vick better be ready to work instead of worrying about some book signing. Just remember"bigger....stronger." Not my words, but Chip Kelly's.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

12 managers who are on the hot seat

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.