April 09, 2013

SOME CAUSE FOR CONCERN.

DESPITE my enthusiasm for what the Raiders have done this offseason, NFL.com writer Marc Sessler makes the argument that we may have grown weaker on Defense this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158652/article/usama-young-signs-contract-with-oakland-raiders

Nothing he said points to why we'd be, (or how we could possibly be) worse than we were last year (28th in points allowed). What he did was mention that the three guys we just added to the Secondary (Mike Jenkins, Tracy Porter, and Usama Young) are not exactly coming off of stellar seasons. 

And?

Did you SEE what we had to do at CB last year? I was mourning it even BEFORE the 2012 Draft. http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/43/discussion/raiders_2012_pre_draft_shakedown/10555081 

Jenkins and Porter look like upgrades to me, over what we did last year! 

I think the loss of Richard Seymour's leadership hurts. Michael Huff was a blow (and maybe Desmond Bryant); but Tommy Kelly, and Rolando McClain are already offset by a change in D-line scheme and the addition of Nick Roach.

This isn't to say I expect our Defense to set the world on fire. But I can't see where it's worse, per se. I guess it's something I need to be looking out for though.

8 Comments:
  • On an added note we also re-signed Andre Carter. He was a situational/spot player at DE, but maybe we can get more mileage out of him as an OLB.

Couldn't hurt to try it.
  • Yes it could. He stinks at linebacker. It's the reason why he left both San Fran and Washington. Dude you are funny. Here you have NO CLUE Andre Carter can't play linebacker, but you think it couldn't hurt, but Trent Cole absolutely can't do it even though you never say him try. Nice job HollywoodRaider.
  • You think I did a nice job? Thanks.
  • Comprehension not a strong point
  • Yeah, but we love you in spite of your failings.
  • That was funny as sh!t

I don't think the raiders r in a better position. U have no one to replace seymores leadership or play. The fact that Tommy Kelly was such a big part of the line shows how bad the rest actually r. Ur DBs may be better but ur lb n dline suck
  • I don't think we'll miss Seymour's play, but yeah his veteran leadership and recognition, I think we'll miss those since we haven't brought in an "Old Man" as a starter up front. In fact, it seems we won't have that guy at all among the front 7. But it seems like that's by design.

With DC JT's approach (of each player finishing downs unblocked), and the new LB coach bringing in the philosophy he used in Green Bay, I know that our LB's will be called upon to MAKE plays this year as opposed to last year when it was all contain and cover. A lot of the additions are solid role or combo players, but I feel like upfront we don't really have a THE GUY type player yet. That's where a guy like DT Sharrif Floyd comes in.

As a fan of both teams, when you see them both take the same problem and try to fix it two different ways, there's a clear sense of "Okay THIS makes more sense than THAT." Both teams need to fix their Secondary, and stop under-utilizing their LB's. Neither team has a WR that can take over a game (at WR, not WR/PR). Both teams have a mobile QB competing with a pocket QB for the staring gig. Both were 4-12 and have now made missing the playoffs a habit.

I think the Eagles have added more player talent than the Raiders; but the Raiders have the better coaching staff and so they'll do better job of putting players in positions to succeed. At least that's MY take on it.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Harvey Updyke pie toss canceled over death threats

10 bold predictions for the 2014 college football season

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.