January 10, 2014

Stay Or Go: Eagles Quarterbacks.

In the beginning of the season if we had a poll most would have the Eagles having the worst starting QB in the NFC East. By seasons end the Eagles had the best statistical (and arguably the best period) quarterback in the NFC East. This happened thanks to a CHANGE at the position. The following names have nothing to do with depth chart positioning rather it is just alphabetical order.

Matt Barkley STAY: Struggled as a rookie to take any advantage of his opportunities to become the franchise guy for this team and make no mistake about it those opportunities were there. Had he taken over the Cowboys game or the Giants game it could easily have been him instead of Foles solidifying his place as the future of the franchise. Still Barkley shouldn’t worry as his opportunity to shine still may come. Nick Foles has been injured in both of his last two seasons. If Barkley can beat out Vick or whomever else is brought in to back up Foles then he will have a chance to shine again. Foles would be best not to take his competition lightly. Barkley is a hungry confident kid just waiting for his chance.

Nick Foles STAY: Unless you have some sort of hidden agenda, hate the Eagles, or just plain blind, even the harshest critics or Mike Vick supports can’t deny the fact Foles had as much to do with if not more to do with this team winning than any other player on this roster. His true critics (Vick apologist or just plain haters) will ignore his stats, his wins, and the team’s success in their efforts to reestablish Mike Vick as the hope of this franchise. A guy [Vick]who has been more excuses than touchdowns over the past three seasons. Regardless of what the detractors may say, Foles has supplanted himself as the starter of this team. The only thing that can take Foles off his throne as the guy in Philly would be for him to make the Cowboys game the norm rather than the exception. Personally I don’t see that happening anytime soon. In fact while others see a tank season and a 2015 change at quarterback, I see a guy who will only get better and become the catalyst to lead this team to greatness for the next 7-10 years.

G.J. Kinne STAY: I don’t think he’s quite ready to be a player called upon to do much this team, but in the few times we saw him, I thought he looked better than Barkley or Dixon. He’s very raw and could use some time on the practice squad to develop. Hopefully he could become a solid 3 on the roster or at some point provide the team with a future draft pick like A.J. Feely did.

Michael Vick GO: The Mike Vick Experience has been a huge letdown. Where to start with all of the complaints? The 20-20 win/loss record he holds as the Eagles starter? The 69 combined fumbles and interceptions? The less than 60% completion percentage in an era where the NFL is completely biased to the offense in particular the quarterback position? This man hasn’t lead this team close to the promises he’s made to the franchise. He calls for a dynasty and couldn’t even lead the team to a winning season afterwards. Despite all of this I don’t view Mike Vick as an underachiever. In fact if you look at his stats, he’s actually playing the best ball of his career now (that’s actually very sad) so there isn’t a future for this guy and certainly not in Philly. We are going to learn a lot about Mike in the near future depending on where he goes next. Of course this will also be pending on if a team views him as the answer (probably not), but if Vick goes to a team like Buffalo, Oakland, or Cleveland he’s clearly going for the paycheck. These teams have no chance of making the playoffs any time soon. Now if he goes to a place like Houston, the Jets, St Louis, or Minnesota then he’s looking to try and win now as all of these teams could be on the verge of getting better or were playoff teams the year prior. It will be interesting to see if all of your Vick apologist were right about him, or if history and facts are wrong.

As far as drafting another QB goes, I see little reason to do so with three guys 25 or younger at the position already on the roster.  The best way to handle the situation would be to either keep Vick (worst idea since he would be an overpriced injury prone backup) or to add a veteran presence like Dennis Dixon. Dixon is familiar with the offense, and the head coach. He could fill in for a pinch if needed. He could also provide Foles with some monetary competition and Barkley with an achievable goal to surpass. In the long run money wasted on Vick could be used to improve this roster as a whole.

//

6 Comments:
  • Foles stay
    Vick stay
    Barkley go
    Kinne get the phuck outta here

Look to draft Boyd in 3rd if we can get another pick if not Morris in late round or hell maybe even as a undrafted rookie.
  • They won't boot Barkley after one season unless he's just terrible and gets beat out in camp. I'd rather contribute the 6-7 mil it would coast to keep Vick to a potential defensive starter. I doubt they draft another quarterback at least until next season. Heck a third round pick on defense could likely start for this team especially in the secondary.
  • No doubt Barkley will stay I was saying if it was up to me. And Vick only comes back bob barker style, if the price is right. Anything over 2.5 a year and goodbye. Either way we still need a new qb cause kinne ain't gonna happen in the nfl. I wouldn't use our only third on a qb I would get another if not I'd take Morris in the late rounds. I'd rather draft a young qb than bring in chad henne or Luke mccown.
  • You're right these are your choices. Somehow I forgot that. My bad. I wouldn't want a McNown or Henne either. Vick at like 2 million wouldn't be a bad resign. I feel teams may offer him much more like say Oakland since they have deep pockets though. There's so many teams who could use him that I'd be shocked he doesn't get a job. I mean even though I believe his best days are over people may still give him a shot.
  • If its not broke dont fix it. Renegotiate Vick deal and keep him as a backup. If not look for a guy like Boyd. I agree w Dawk. There is no need for a scrub like Henne or a broke Dixon. And Keep barkley as #3
  • The last time we saw Barkley he was bad no doubt, but it was his rookie season, and he was thrust into action without getting any real snaps. My summation is the QB situation is a little broken when you consider both Foles and Vick have been injured in back to back seasons. Also between Foles and Barkley the Eagles already are developing two young guys. Adding a third doesn't help the situation. If it's gonna be Vick the. It has to be for the right price.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.