January 15, 2014

Stay Or Go: Special Teams

The kick coverage was pretty bad all season and it could be due to the fact Jason Phillips and Phillip Hunt was lost for the season. The other problem was the kicker failing to kick the ball deep into the end zone on a regular basis. More than the so-called letdowns Foles had in the playoffs this is the main reason we lost the game to the Saints.

Jon Dorenbos STAY: Although I think he wastes a roster spot and is getting paid nicely to have one job in a league where players are counted on to do more than one thing, he’s very good at what he does. If someone else can show some versatility on the roster and can long snap he’s likely gone.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Alex Henery GO: This guy misses a key 49 yard field goal and botches the final kickoff of the playoff game. The team was afraid to allow him to kickoff in the Vikings game. He’s a liability to this team. They have to either get to kickers of one guy who can make a 50-yard field goal and kick off. The league has given extra yardage to kick balls into the end zone and this guy still can’t get it done. 

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman";"> 

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Donnie Jones STAY: He was the best special teams player we had all season. He boomed some punts to get the team out of some major jams. He’s also solid at dropping the ball inside the 10-yard line. He has to be brought back.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman";"> 

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Jason Phillips STAY: He was brought in for special teams, but we haven’t had a chance to see him play. If another linebacker/player can step up and make the kick coverage better then he goes.

//

4 Comments:
  • Henry go
    Dorenbos stay
    Jones stay get raise and years onto contract
    Phillips stay coverage was great the first couple weeks
    Colt Anderson stay.
    Brad smith go. I wanna see a dynamic player back there not someone on the end of their career.
  • Yeah I'm not a fan of Brad Smith as a return guy. I think we need to draft or sign an impact guy who preferably does both. I wasn't much of a fan of Jackson returning punts either.
  • They need a guy,that will scare people,draft and develop someone,do not put anybody back there---a speed guy,one cut and go like hester for bears or holiday on Denver broncos--small,but get the job done.
  • I would like to see a guy who can return punts and kicks. Priority is to resign Jones and to get a better kicker.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.