January 22, 2014

Stay Or Go: The Eagles Linebackers.

This is a group of players who showed a lot of potential and improvement, but there is a clear lack of true pass rush ability with this team. Many of the same coverage issues of the past also reared it’s self during the season. Still this group also made some impact plays that have been lacking from our units for sometime now.

Emmanuel Acho GO: He’s a guy with some versatility, but in the long run he doesn’t make this team better. Better to replace him with someone that will.

Connor Barwin STAY: Barwin was a great signing by Howie Roseman. The guy is like a Swiss Army Knife. He does so much for this team from pass coverage, setting the edge on the run, pass rush, and knocking down passes. Although I wouldn’t call Barwin as exceptional at any of his roles (except maybe knocking down passes) that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be here, cause he’s an important part of this defense.

Trent Cole STAY:  I like Cole, but at this point in his career he seems better suited for spot time. He is best used as a Situational pass rusher. He wasn’t consistent enough this season to be an every down player. I would keep him, but I would want to keep him at the right price. He was okay in coverage.

Najee Goode STAY: People may not remember it, but there was a point when Kendricks went down to injury. The reason so few remember is cause Goode stepped in and played well in his stead. Still another undersized inside linebacker, but he’s shown flashed of playmaking ability.

Brandon Graham GO: I can’t tell you he’s the worst 1st round pick this teams ever had, but he’s far from the greatest. In some ways I feel bad for him. He’s been stuck in terrible systems with coaches who refused to play him, he’s been hurt, and now he’s learning a new position. He looks like a fish out of water in coverage. At this point there is nothing he can do that will make people forget the name Earl Thomas. It’s better for both parties to go their separate ways.

Philip Hunt GO: A guy who in the past shown some pass rush skill, but was on the major outs with the defensive coach. Had he not gotten hurt he was going to be released. He’s another former Eagle likely to land in KC.

Josh Kaddu GO: Another former Oregon player (I’m shocked how many of these guys Kelly has stashed) who doesn’t do much for us in the long run. Chip Kelly needs to find a better batch of old Oregon players. (Ward/Byrd)

Mychal Kendricks STAY: He still plays a too fast for his own good. He still runs himself out of making plays. He’s still short, but Kendricks is a star waiting to happen. If he could ever get himself under control he will become a pro bowl caliber player for years to come.

Jake Knott STAY: He isn’t flashy but he’s a solid tackler. He can play special teams.

Travis Long GO: We need another impact player on this team. He’s holding that guys spot.

Casey Mathews GO: Why is he still here? Oh that’s right Oregon….

Jason Philips STAY: He’s supposed to be a great special teams player. We need that on this team for sure.  

DeMeCo Ryans STAY: Although his salary cap number is pretty high. He’s another guy I think the Eagles should consider restructuring. He was solid this season. His man coverage isn’t the best, but he did make a lot of plays for the team this season. A big body in front of him and Kendricks could help make both of them better players.

The Eagles have some talent in with their linebackers, but they could use more of it. They need a guy who can consistently apply pressure on the quarterback. So far that guy isn’t on the roster. A better pass rush would make this shaky secondary better.

//

//

7 Comments:
  • Barwin Ryans kendricks Goode (damn he was good that time), knott graham stay.

Phillips can stay or go

Cole trade

The rest just get rid of. Phuck Casey Matthews.

Ryans is a possible move. I know he's a great leader and played great vs the run this year but he is a major liability in coverage in a system where he needs to cover. I think graham will be able to improve this offseason greatly as both a coverage guy and a pass rusher.

That said we still need to draft an OLB and I still wanna see a guy like jon beason brought in to help at the ILB spot. Christian jones or kyle van noy in the second would be nice as well.
  • Were prety muh in agreement here. I don't know if you bring in Beason unless Ryans isn't a real option. I agree he's too slow in coverage, and he has a big cap number. I don't think the Giants want to let Beason go though.
  • Casey Matthews was junk from day one. Told you guys but you all defended him. I tink Graham has alot of potential. He seems so physical I think it might be a mistake to get rid of him. He will end up a jet and be a Hugh Douglass. who knows.
  • I don't get why Mathews is still on the team, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the team again. Most people just wanted to see him play before he got judged. He's an average player at best. Graham simply doesn't fit the scheme anymore. Maybe he can turn the corner, but we have been waiting a while and it simply hasn't happened.
  • Pass rush should also be a priority, and there are some guys in the draft the Eagles could get.
  • The eagles need fast olb via draft or free agency,coonor bardwin was a beast and ryans in the mike,micheal kendricks--my man and n good---just get dept and backend stafty help--to rover area ala cam chancellor of seahawks---the eagles need to stick there plan,not some other team play---but the seahawks,defense showcase,want a real defense,should like,ala the late jim Johnson defense in 2004 super bowl run---ala brain dawkins and trotter and all those THUMPERS AND PURE DOG'S.
  • Kendricks could become a thumper, but he has to learn how to play under control. He's still relying too much on his athletic ability, but I think with time he could develop into a great linebacker. Unfortunately he's too short to be able to become a great cover guy.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Meet the 2014-15 Oregon cheerleaders

Pelini: Marijuana use is ‘out of control’

Highlights from Eli Manning's AMA

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

HR legend tries to hit 186-MPH fastball

M's player goes after scout following taunt

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Tony Stewart to race again on Sunday

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.