January 14, 2014

Stay Or Go: The Eagles Offensive Line.

The Eagles offensive line made drastic improvements during the season (meaning once Foles started playing) and went from a group that looked and mistake prone to a group that had a Pro bowl player, but really should have had three of them. Even some of the backups who were forced into action played well. The Eagles have a solid group of lineman. What a difference a year makes?

Mike Bamiro STAY: He’s a big man, but can he play? We still don’t really know, but I don’t think the Eagles should give up on him yet. He’s still raw, and they have the perfect coach to teach young offensive lineman in Jeff Stoutland.

Allen Barbre STAY: He was another solid pick up from this past offseason. He’s played guard and tackle for the Eagles and started when Jason Peters went down to injury. He could challenge Herremans for the starting RG spot next season.

Todd Herremans STAY: I’m not a big fan of Todd’s cap number, but his dead money against the cap is wore so he’s on the roster regardless. Still Todd’s a trooper and has been willing to do whatever the team needed him to do so he should be around. Even if he doesn’t start next season, his versatility could be quite useful, as he’s also been known to catch a pass or two as well.

Lane Johnson STAY: The kid had an up and down season, but you can see the talent is there. Eventually he will likely end up being the starting left tackle when Peters leaves, but there’s no need to rush this processes. He’s going to develop into a great player.

Jason Kelce STAY: His loss doomed the Eagles offense last season from the beginning, and his return solidified the Eagles line and turned them into one of the teams strong points. He should have been a pro bowl player this season.

Dennis Kelly STAY: I still have high hopes for this kid. I think he could develop into a solid right tackle, but last season’s injury will hinder his progress. Because of that he could find himself cut.

Evan Mathis STAY: Should have been a Pro Bowl player this season. He’s been the most consistent Eagle the past two seasons. He’s a highly underrated player who was taken off the scrapheap of free agency.

David Molk GO: WHO????

Jason Peters STAY: The guy is still playing a high level, and this season the Eagles moved him around a lot. He played all over the place and when the Eagles run behind him and Evan Mathis they generally pick up big yards.

Matt Tobin GO: A little light for my taste in tackles, but maybe that makes him athletic enough to stick around for Chip.

Julian Vandervelde STAY: I’m not sold on him as a player. I wouldn’t be shocked to see him here or gone.

Looking at the Eagles line you see a mix between old veterans and young guys on the bench. The question becomes are these young guys ready to take over once the vets move on. Time will tell, but for at least one thing is certain. Barring injury the Eagles will have one of the best offensive lines going in the 2014 season.

//

6 Comments:
  • Starting five barbe Kelly vandervelde stay. The rest go and young talent in draft brought it.
  • I hear the Eagles like Tobin. He fits their mold of the athletic guy. A lot of the guys who are backups are actually young though. I think we should draft a guard, but overall I think we have talent at the offensive line.
  • Use some early draft picks on o-line and let the players develop
  • No terrible idea. The Eagles NEED defense now. It would be a waste to draft guys who won't help for at least another two years.
  • Eagle need a true backup center to kelce period,someone that is bigger and stronger----do not get me wrong--kelce is the truth,dept is good on roster---and tackle position as well. Hollywoodeagle right on point--everything starts up front period on both side of ball!!!got weak line--you are in the lottery every year like selecting a franchise qb baby barnone!!!!
  • Backup center isn't a draft priority. We should get an impact player or three early in the draft. D-line is a bigger priority than o- line.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.