January 13, 2014

Stay Or Go The Wide Receivers.

This bunch on paper had a great season, but if you look between the numbers this group if filled with question marks and serious concerns. It’s difficult to view any of the group with an absolute stay or go. In fact I could see any of them here, traded, or released.

Jason Avant GO: Unless Avant is willing to take a pay cut in order to stay. He’s like 3 million on the books next season and although he’s a great locker room guy who has versatility, he had a poor season as a receiver, which could mean his overall skills are on the decline.

Arrelious Benn STAY: I don’t trust he can stay healthy to prove he was worth trading for. I hope I’m wrong about him, but I feel he’s going to be a major letdown in the long run.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Riley Cooper STAY: But this depends on the money for me. If Cooper is looking to break the bank after one season where the first half of the season he did little to nothing, then he can hit the bricks. He’s a guy whose possible drinking problem could end up causing more trouble in the long run than his racism. 

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">B.J. Cunningham GO: Nice size, but still has yet to make any type of impact for this team. Time to move on.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">DeSean Jackson STAY: Hidden in Jackson’s great season are multiple disciplinary benching episodes. It started early in the season when he was demoted to numerous games during important drives Jackson was sitting on the sidelines for failing to run out routes and in the Vikings game he lacked hustle to break up the Foles interception. There was also the sideline dustup over that very play between him and Riley Cooper. On top of this he’s already asking for a new contract???? He’s lucky they don’t ask him to take less money.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Damaris Johnson GO: Simply put he’s too small and not talented enough at any position to keep on the roster. The Eagles would have done better to keep Clay Harbor than this guy. He brings nothing of merit to the table. It’s time to cut all ties.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Jeff Maehl GO: Why did we trade for this guy again? Better question why was he getting more time earlier in the season than Avant? I know Chip likes his Oregon guys (which means he likely stays), but this guy wasn’t better than guys we let go in the preseason. Hopefully Chip doesn’t allow his loyalties to the old brand hold him back.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Jeremy Maclin STAY: Can he stay healthy? Can he work in this offense? Can he come back and be effective? I guess we are going to find out.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Ifeanyi Momah STAY: I must be a glutton for punishment here. I know this guy couldn’t play a lick last season, but the combination of size and speed still has me enamored. Why isn’t Harold Carmichael taking this kid under his wing (along with a strength coach) and teaching this kid how to use his body to be an NFL receiver? He’s still raw so maybe he could show something next season.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Will Murphy GO: Another former Duck lying around doing little.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Brad Smith STAY: Another difficult decision for me. I thought he showed some versatility, but he should not be returning kicks. He’s not that good. He should not be used as a Red Zone quarterback, because he no longer is one. Chip needs to stop with the trickery and just man his players up to get one yard.

<span style="mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Looking at the list there are more than a few guys here who are major question marks. Guys who had one big HALF of a season, a guy who was a disciplinary problem, guys who are coming off major knee injuries, guys who have shown little to nothing, and a guy who could be in the start of a decline. More than any other position on the offense, bringing in a new player to this group could be a major help.

//

6 Comments:
  • Desean stay
    Maclin stay
    Cooper stay
    Benn stay
    Avant restructure deal or go
    The rest go

Momah has such great size but he can't play. Maybe keep him just for camp and see if he has improved at all.
  • I would love to see Momah develop into something. So far he's shown nothing though. He's still very raw so maybe they can coach him up some. If nothing else bring him to camp and see if he's improved.
  • The only one that should be gone is Avant. I would draft a wr early to give Foles as many weapons as possible.
  • I would rather go defense early. They could draft a return guy in the middle to latter rounds.
  • Draft another wr for both case desean jackson act ups and maclin---Momah--can learn route running,o'boy this guy would be like calvin Johnson---what a target for qb barnone,will the project improve,put on weight and strength,this is what the eagles are waiting for!!!chip stated big guys beat up little guys!!!I love avant in slot,and awesome locker room guy.
  • Who is QB Barone?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Colts GM calls out Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

No evidence of cancer in Jim Kelly

Best gift ever given for a jersey number?

Kent State center dies unexpectedly

Ref avoided doing Redskins games due to team name

Schilling: Tobacco caused mouth cancer

Most indispensables college players

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.