January 24, 2013

STEVE SPAGNUOLO FIRED.

WITH the Eagles not making any significant news these days, I keep having to invent/borrow subject matter to have anything factual to discuss here.

But right now I'm gonna lob one underhanded to you. Steve Spanuolo has been fired in New Orleans, should Chip Kelly make a play for him?

Your thoughts:

26 Comments:
  • No I don't think it's a good idea anymore, even though he was reported to have been talking with them. The Saints defense was terrible against everyone but the Eagles last year it seemed.
  • Lets look at some info??? Steve Spagnuolo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Coaching career

Spagnuolo began his NFL coaching career in the Philadelphia Eagles organization in 1999, serving as linebackers and defensive backs coach. He remained there for eight years, learning Jim Johnson's defensive philosophy. It was under Johnson that Spagnuolo cultivated his trademark look, goatee and buzz cut.

In January 2007, he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants, under Head Coach Tom Coughlin.

He spent two years in New York, and was the architect of the aggressive defensive strategy against the New England Patriots (the highest scoring offensive team in NFL history) in Super Bowl XLII, which was instrumental in the close victory by the Giants. Following the Super Bowl win and a great deal of praise, Spagnuolo's name was widely circulated for open head coach positions around the NFL.

On February 7, 2008, he took his name out of consideration for the head coaching position of the Washington Redskins, citing the fact that he did not feel ready to be a head coach.[citation needed] People speculated that he did not like the fact that the coordinators were already installed, but he stated he had no problems with them.[citation needed] The same day, the New York Giants made Spagnuolo one of the highest-paid defensive coordinators in the NFL with a new three-year contract, worth roughly $2 million a year.[2]
    New Orleans Saints

On January 19, 2012, Spagnuolo agreed to terms with the New Orleans Saints to become the new defensive coordinator under head coach Sean Payton, choosing this position rather than an offer from the Philadelphia Eagles. However, Payton was subsequently suspended for the season for his alleged role in the so-called New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, leaving Spagnuolo to coach the defense without Payton's input.[6][7] The New Orleans defense ended up having a difficult year, allowing the most yards for a season of any defense in NFL history as the Saints finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs for the first time in four years. Soon after Payton's suspension ended, Spagnuolo was fired on January 24, 2013.[8]

[edit] Coaching philosophy

Spagnuolo learned under Philadelphia coach Jim Johnson, and shares the same aggressive, blitz-heavy approach as his mentor. Spagnuolo uses a 4–3 base defense with a heavy emphasis on multiple blitz packages, including corner and safety blitzes. While defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, he often used a smaller defensive line, with three or even four defensive ends to further pressure the quarterback.

This philosophy proved successful, with the Giants leading the NFL in sacks in 2007. During Super Bowl XLII, Spagnuolo's defense sacked Tom Brady five times, the most times he had been sacked in any game that season.

Yes/NO????
  • just thought Id post this....
  • He hasn't been good for awhile. Reminds me of another coach we just fired...
  • and as Ive said....be patient with Chip Kelly sure he was an OUTstanding coach in college..but where is he now?????
  • I still would like to give him a once over. The only real thing I've heard attached to us so far is a collegiate DC who also has no NFL experience.

Spags has been both a DC and a HC in this league, so he can see around corners that Kelly can't. And while Spags defenses of late may not have been that good, you HAVE TO look at what he'd been given to work with. We're talking about St. Louis and New Orleans here. The Saints had a couple of good years on Defense but it was ONLY a couple. All else (before or since) has been a wasteland.
  • The Saints were last in the league in total defense under Spaggs. The year before under Greg Williams they were 9th. The Rams defense isn't as bad as you think player wise. They have two of the best young pass rushers in the NFL, and they have some solid veterans. They have more than a few players who would start for the Eagles. Just because Spaggs is a name, doesn't mean he's the best option. Don't get hyped over guys just because you heard of them. It doesn't necessarily mean they were the right choice. Furthermore if the Eagles truly wish to transition to 3-4 Spaggs isn't the guy to get that done. How many of Spaggs defensive guys are even left on the roster? I'm guessing most of the guys that were here when he was are gone or they could be gone before the start of next season.
  • There you go with this "name" BS again. Actually since my best friend is a 49er fan and the rams are a division rival I actually catch a FEW Rams games a year (though I really don't care to).

I wanted the Eagles to bring Spags in BEFORE they gave the job to Castillo (if you recall). Of course sine the Eagles wouldn't (and won't) let anybody pick their own staff...

If the Eagles really want to go to a 3-4, not only do they lack the coach, they also lack the personnel. Things like a NT, a good passrusher at OLB, TWO ILB's (because Ryans wasn't comfortable with it in Houston (his words)), and a FS who can play centerfielder when the SS is walked up into the box. NONE of that is currently on this roster.

The Eagles have a ton of guys who can play a 3-4 DE, but they'd need to replace 7 or so guys to be a credible unit. Of course I'm only basing that on how the better 3-4 teams (GB, Pittsburgh, SF, Houston, Baltimore) are built.
  • LOL I don't recall where I made a statement about having a named coach before, but I can tell this past two seasons has shown me that guys with names could be a detriment to the team. Bobby April, Marty, Washburn, and Mudd all came here with big names and experience. None of them panned out. In fact Reid's staff previously had a lot of guys who were nobody's that eventually became a somebody like John Harbaugh. From a perspective as an Eagles fan I'm okay if we pass on Spaggs. He hasn't been that good for a while now, but I understand from your perspective wins, losses, and performance aren't relevant as long as he has a name.
  • It's wins, and performances are what BUILD names.

I choose to err on the side of history and those WHO HAVE WON, versus some guy who bases his entire outlook on the last couple years of a team that has NEVER won.
  • History also shows that they failed. Otherwise they wouldn't have been fired. You can't be SELECTIVE when it comes to HISTORY.
  • History only shows that these coaches have failed as Eagles coaches.

History also shows that the Eagles have always (by your standard of a Lombardi trophy), failed. History has also shown that you continue to root for a team that always fails. Thus, you must be a fan of constant failure.

You must love mediocrity.
  • Nice try to twist it, but fail. Do you understand that I would love for my team to win the Super Bowl? My expectations and belief is that one day they will in my lifetime. I want to see that parade down Broad street. The city deserves it. The fans and the team deserve it. We can go on and on about how great someone was who never won anything, but the bottom line is people are measured in the NFL by SB trophies. Because my team hasn't won one yet doesn't mean I'm going to go and jump from team to team like other fans who truly lack loyalty.
  • No need to twist a thing.
    By your own standard, you consider your favorite team to be a failure.

You can't be SELECTIVE when it comes to HISTORY.
    (Your words, not mine.)

FYI: I was a Raider fan FIRST. Since the Raiders have won THREE Super Bowls already, I never had a need to jump anywhere, I just added my local ballclub.
  • There you have it. You are a Raiders fan. That why you have no comprehension of where I'm coming from, and you never will. Keep on supporting a city you probably have never been to in your entire life.
  • Yes I am a Raider fan. Did it really take you 4 years to figure that out, when I straight up say it so often? Damn dude, really?

And FYI: You're right, I don't get where you come from. F*** where you come from! I'm doin' me n***a! F*** I care where you come from for? I don't know who your mommy told you was, but you ain't him, n***a! You just one more cat with a Eagle poster on your wall. You ain't special. You ain't s***.
  • Woa you really told me off Internet thug! How dumb do you seem right now? Do you feel better now that you got all that wasted nonsense off your chest Baby Huey?
  • You're the one who can't spell "whoa", but I'm dumb? Right. I got you.

And I know I told you off, Captain Obvious. How many times did you have to re-read it before you figured it out?

Internet thug? Baby Huey? I put you in your place and you resort to silly name calling like you're 5 years old or something. I mean if you want to call me names, cool, whatever. But at least put some thought, some wit, some imagination into it, so this battle of wits won't keep being so damned one-sided.

Go out and buy yourself some style, dawg.
  • this reminds me of a dude who did Not know what a conversation is??? or was?? I have a friend who we can discuss just about anything??? from sports to whatever...as the old saying goes however...never discuss politics and religion and yes those are the ones we leave alone...and in a conversation when you hit that walll??? leave it alone...
    an example My other friend ?? I dont understand ?? he enjoys a computer but he only uses one at the public library?? why doesnt he get a home computer?? I dont have Cable TV why??? I dont watch that much TV, he on the other hand has cable TV, why?? well lets look at this fora sec??? he enjoys watching TV, I dont. So right there ends the WWE wrestling competition part of the conversation?? why go any further??? He would rather find a way ?? to the public building to spend time on a computer and even when its closed for a holiday??? he cant use a computer?? so why not buy your own home based computer??? maybe he doesnt want a home PC???? like and sounding LIKE most in a conversation???? Like I dont want to spend money on cable TV....but some and they know who they are??? will sit and dicusss like a wrestler??? trying to PIN you and win a conversation??? how does one win in the world of conversation???? you get to the point where you agree to disagree...this is how we remain friends ..while some others dont get it!!!!
  • I tried that. Cats here on Y.B. can't handle the speed of civility. They need it at a walking pace. Mud slinging and name-calling. Even when it's not with me that's how these cats like their convo to go.

No pearls before swine. If I find someone civilized, like Spotella or Giantcack, I'm good like that. But all these e-thugs who think it's sweet like that can get it.
  • The epitome of hypocrisy can not act as if he's above the swine slop when he's gobbling it up like the piggy that he is. If you were truly better than us, then you wouldn't come back. After all we are just cretins right? People In glass homes shouldn't throw stones.
  • I wasn't even TALKING to you, but you just can't get off my d***, can you?

• id like to request a song...From the Blackeyed Peas a thing called "lets get it started"
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Players who'll decide the national title

NFL cheerleader Instagram accounts

Olympian walking again after accident

WATCH: Bucs rookie involved in brawl

Potentially crippling NFL injuries

Manziel fined $12K for middle finger

10 worst owners in all of sports

Rusney Castillo signs with Boston

Harvey Updyke pie toss canceled over death threats

10 bold predictions for the 2014 college football season

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.