October 09, 2012

Taking The Lions To Task Will Require Some Work.

The Lions are coming into town  in a similar situation as the Steelers were. Desperate to get a win and to keep pace in the division. This time I think the scenario favors the Eagles though. I believe there are some important opportunities that could be had by the Eagles to ensure a victory in this game. Here they are and the reason why:

1) The Detroit Lions are a one dimensional team with one real playmaker. Unlike the Steelers, the Lions aren’t that scary with the run game, nor is their quarterback any real threat to run himself. They do have one of the best receivers in the game though. Now is not the time to get cute if I were coaching the Eagles. They need to MAN Johnson up with DRC or Nnamdi (preferred DRC) with safety over the top help for most of the game. I don’t want to see him lined up in the slot with Boykin. It’s a mismatch the Lions will exploit if the Eagles don’t shut it down early.

2) The Lions are playing an away game. The Steelers got to play at home after their bye, but the Lions have to play in Philly. Now is a good time to exploit the Lions and the inexperience. Get the  quarterback early! Send some blitzes his way. Get the crowed involved!  Get them in 3rd and long and here your fans make noise.

3)  The Lions special teams sucks. Now is the time to unleash Desean Jackson. The Eagles current return men have been sub-par at best so far. Since Reid can’t seem to find a way to get Jackson the ball in space on a regular basis, then perhaps it’s time to allow him to get some punt returns in this game. There’s the return of the big play to this team.

4) Expose the Wide 9. The Lions run a fairly similar defense as the  Eagles. We all know it is susceptible to the run. NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BE CUTE REID AND MARTY. Don’t come up with some lame logic of they will be expecting the run so we will throw it 40 times. Shady should get at least 6 carries a quarter in this one.  Run the ball and tire those big men in the middle out.

5) Play on the inexperience of the Lions. They were a playoff team last season, but they are also a young team who can’t get out of their own way. They are prone to make mental errors like personal foul penalties, unnecessary roughness, and so on. Get chirpy with them. Fire them up a little and get them playing undisciplined football. Get them more focused on beating you up instead of beating you.

6) The Eagles need to play a controlled football game on offense. They need a balanced attack, getting the ball out of the hands of Mike Vick quickly. Use some misdirection plays in the middle to get the big guys in the middle tired early. Sneak in a fullback run to throw them off more. Certainly take a chance deep if it’s there, but it’s better not to force it. Keep Vick’s runs to a minimum. They will be looking to strip him all game and hit him hard. Frustrate them with the quick pass, draws,  screens, misdirection, and run plays.

The Eagles should be highly motivated to get the stench of their last game out of their systems.  I anticipate this will be their first win of 7 points or more especially if they follow this plan.

Eagles 24
Lions  17

12 Comments:
  • This is a game where Vick needs to show he's the guy everyone thinks he is. He needs channel his inner Steve Young and score touchdowns not turnovers. It's time to see a completion percentage over 60 and a passer rating over 90.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • It's all about keeping focused, but this team needs to step up and block somebody on both special teams and on offense.
  • I'm going to stick to what seems to be the main theme around the Eagles these days. If the Eagles (Mike Vick?) take care of the ball they win the game.
  • Maybe, but I really think this team needs to have a game where they can say the actually dominated someone. The Lions are in a state of confusion (so are the Steelers), and the Eagles need to have a statement game. It's time for them to step up and dominate somebody.
  • Can't dominate anybody with an average of close to 3 turnovers a game especially when the Eagles aren't getting too many turnovers on defense themselves.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Although you have been rude to me I will agree with you. They are reactive vs proactive. its not a confident defense. they are playing better but dont look sure of their ability.
  • Thats a problematic statistic GTD. To me that says they arent hitting hard enough and arent on their toes.
  • I agree EZ. I mean that bare knuckled vs the Ravens but neither team was sharp and truth be told the Eagles nither intimidated or dominated the Ravens. Your right lets see it and stop hearing about it. Its closing on 1&1/2 years since Ive seen the Eagles "punish" an ooponent. I guess that why Im bored with them.
  • This was my second favorite game of the day, a nice appetizer before the main course...Niner Kabobs, Yum!!! That was fun beating that blowhard Harbaugh. And to think that all week all I kept hearing is, "You can't run on the 49ers, yeah right...tell Ahmad Bradshaw that. Next we scalp the Skins.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The most overrated NFL players

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.