March 15, 2013

THE 12: #10 WORK THE BODY

FOOTBALL some say is just blocking and tackling. Some say it's blocking, tackling, and doing your job. These are mostly true, but they leave out a vital truth.

Football, is about imposing your will.

Whether you’re dragging a man to the ground who wants to keep running, or standing between a man who wants to reach the ballcarrier; in either case your denial of what he wants is your will overcoming his. You win, he loses.

In boxing there’s an expression, “Work the body and the head will come down”. It happens to be true. When your blows literally counter and opponent’s heartbeats, when you can pound the air from his lungs, when your blows causes stomach acid to repeatedly roil into your opponent’s throat, he soon will lose the will to fight you. This is the imposition of will. This is you win, he loses.

THE MEAT:

Last year against the Ravens, in pregame rally huddle, Ray Lewis said to his team “We got two different ball clubs. We got a physical one, and one that like to run around, and act like they cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAj3042FmC0

The Ravens lost that game, but they went on to win the Super Bowl by being a more physical team than the physical team they were playing. They weren’t finesse. They imposed their will. They won, the 49ers lost.

THE MOVE:

I’d like to the Eagles avoid a zone-blocking scheme and go directly to a power blocking model. For example: A few plays where they seal the back door, double a defender out of a hole, and  release half of that double to the second level, while the remaining blocker “keeps the street clean” by staying on the defender that was doubled. Instead of focusing on getting a number of your linemen to an area, focus on getting a number of defenders out of an area.

If this team is to be taken seriously, we are going to have to be able to pick up 3rd and 2. On the ground. We’ll need to be able to make 1st and 10, into 2nd and 5. On the ground. We have to be able to impose our will.

We’re coming off of the era of headhunting. Of numerous passes thrown to try drowning an opponent in points. We’ve turned the page. Now is time for the era of taking points almost as a byproduct of beating an opponent to his knees. To take. To pillage. To work and weaken the body.

To impose our will.

7 Comments:
  • AGREED!!! We need to get back to the war aspect of the game. Win the battle up front and break their will. It doesn't always just take a scheme change or strong players. We need Chip to make these guys want to go to war and get mean in games.
  • Going out and getting players like Cary Williams, Arrelious Benn, and James Casey sends a message that this team will be more physical than it's been probably since Buddy Ryans days here. I have to like what I'm seeing so far out of Free Agency.

I still say 5 QB's and looking draft a 6th is too much, but then I'm not the one making 6.5 million this year to make those decisions.
  • Connor Barwin is another physical player. I like the fact that the Eagles are bringing in players that seem to have the size and talent (injury concerns with a couple but if they can get through the season they should help) but just can't sit back and rest on their lauerels. They even seem to be bolstering up their special teams. They brought back Colt Anderson, signed Phillips, I think Arrelious Benn plays both ways on special teams. I saw that you are still hoping they find their punter this year as am I. I would have prefered they gave Henry a second year than sign McBriar last year but what do I know.

Until the Eagles find their franchise QB there never will be enough QBs on the roster. All these bodies are probably just auditioning for the #2 and #3 spots anyway. There is a chance that in 2014 all 3 QBS on last years roster are on other teams (and even a chance that 2 of them are gone this year). Nothing wrong with trying to have your backups in place when they finally find their franchise QB. Besides, depending on where they draft that 6th he could just be that quarterback of the future.

Update: March 16, 2013
    *laurels
  • I would have liked to see a hitter like Delmas or Pollard brought in at safety. A corner that hits isn't as intimidating as a safety that does.
  • i think the power running style would need warmack but idk if he fits into kellys up tempo offense.
  • Me either, but it's a moot point considering that we won't be getting him anyway. I think we're either going to get Geno Smith or Dee Milliner.

Now that Safety hes been addressed in FA I highly doubt we'll get Eric Reid either. So now I'm back to hoping that our second pick becomes Kyle Long.
  • I'm liking Long more and more, flip. I also agree with the Milliner or Smith comment with OT (probably Fisher) being #3 with the 4th pick. Star Lotulelei is the longshot depending on his heart being they haven't found that DE in free agency and there isn't a whole lot of decent talent left. If it's Smith or Fisher at 4 the Eagles could go corner at #2 but Long would be a nice addition. I read that the Eagles had many faces at Oregon's pro day. Keep in mind that Kenny Pillips only has a one year deal so taking a safety fairly high could still be an option but I do agree it isn't one of their top needs right now. The young talent at safety seems to be in place...the questions are can they stay healthy and also how does Chung respond?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.