March 15, 2013

THE 12: #11 THE NFL’S SCARIEST PLAYER

DETAILS.

It’s the little things that make all the difference in the world. The details build the solid foundation and set the stage for the big things to take place on. Bear with me.

In Basketball if you have a dominant low post player, the perfect complement to help him be his best, are two guys who can shoot from the outside. It spreads the floor and lets your “meat and potatoes man” have room to operate. It doesn’t even matter if the shooters can create their own shot. What matter is that they’re good enough to make you respect them at all times. The result is easier scoring in the paint and more offensive rebounds.

In Baseball you bat your clean-up hitter 3rd or 4th (usually 4th) to get him walks if there are men on base; or to let him break open a game if a pitcher is dumb enough to throw him anything he can hit with more than one man on. You protect him with guys who work the count on either side of him, or (if you have it) a second guy right behind him who can drive the ball a bit. The result is manufactured bases (and likely runs) through small ball.

Both of these things require no great additions, or effort, or brilliance in coaching. It’s just recognizing a detail and implementing it.

THE MEAT:

Michael Vick is left handed. When he rolls out, he rolls left. So why is his most dangerous WR always on the opposite side of the field? To get a ball to DeSean Jackson requires Vick to throw across his body, and across traffic. That is unless Jackson is running his trademarked Deep Post to the middle of the field. That only negates Jackson’s speed by giving opponents time to close from the opposite side. Why are we making life easier for our opponents?

Jackson catching balls in the middle also only exposes him to another potential vicious concussion. Why do we run him on these silly routes? I saw a graphic Monday that showed the WR’s with the most 20+ yard catches since 2009. Calvin Johnson was #1 with 53, Jackson was #2 with 49. This is despite drops and missed games. Yet he still isn’t used in the way that would make him the NFL’s scariest player.

THE MOVE:

Switch DeSean Jackson from lining up on the right, to lining up on the left. That’s it. Right there. The Eagles would then have the most unstoppable offense in football. I’ll explain.

Will a CB give Jackson a cushion? Yes. In fact they usually do despite his trouble with jams at the line. Nobody wants to let him get an early step on them.

Will the FS give “over the top help” if Jackson no longer has to cross the field to be an easier target? You’d better believe it! He could just take off and run a Fly as opposed to finding depth, making a cut, and getting visible while running a Deep Post. With this it’s just “throw it at the endzone”.

Will that much attention keep teams out of 8-man fronts? Yep. More room inside for McCoy.

Will that keep the FS out of a front-side blitz? Yep. He has to stay back to help. This means that the TE knows the OLB is his blocking assignment. There’s no more LB or DB confusion now.

This clearing out gives Vick room to roll out and head for the sideline after a 5, 6, 7 yard gain.

The left side would be there for the taking, but we can’t do that same thing with Maclin, Cooper, Avant, or McNutt lined up there. Only Jackson has the speed to scare defenses out of trying anything funny. And there’s nothing to stop Jackson from settling into a hole and catching shorter passes (like a Hook or a Quick Out route) if the CB bails on a blitz. It would still be free yardage.

It’s one little detail, but it can yield LOTS of benefits.

(By the way, if the defense tries to be slick and roll coverage, then we’re talking 1-on-1 on the right all the way down the field. I’ll take that too!)

15 Comments:
  • Just want to point out Jackson didn't drop a pass all season before he got hurt. I wouldn't mind seeing Jackson used more like how the Patriots used Wes Welker. The key is to get Jackson in space and give him some plays where he can make a guy miss. Hopefully Chip Kelly sticks to form and runs the ball more. Set up some play action that will allow receivers to get deep, and freeze some safeties. Jackson is their best receiving weapon and the offense should flow through him and McCoy. On a side note if Vick isn't the starter next season and say Geno Smith is moving Jackson would be a moot point.
  • Yo do realize that Oakland picks 3rd, right?

I don't want him, but the franchise IS looking for a guy to be the THE GUY. Palmer's days are numbered, and I can easily see Amy and Reggie salivating over tickets sales to preseason games during a competition between Terrelle Pryor and Geno Smith.
  • Having a QB battle will salvage tickets sales? That is by far the dumbest reason to draft a guy 3rd. Good then maybe we can pry Pryor away from them for a 7th. I'm sure if he stayed in school he was going to be a top pick.
  • What I SAID was the Raiders are looking for a guy to be THE GUY. Besides, if they did compete, whoever lost would be #2, so there goes your hope of snagging one of our players.
  • If a team is willing to give up a first and a second for Carson Palmer, a third for Pryor, and now use the third pick in the draft for another quarterback in less than 3 years time, they are dumb enough and dysfunctional enough to get fleeced.
  • And still YOU'RE the one pinning your 2013 hopes on the Raiders trading the Eagles a QB to save you from having to watch Vick. For you it all hinges on a trade.

Or Nick Foles.

Or a practice squader.

Or an AFL cast-off.

Or a career journeyman.

Or the drafting of a rookie.

Seems to me 4-12 and a 5 man race for QB is what anybody OUTSIDE of Philly would define as dumb and dysfunctional.

You need to watch them there stones you throwin' son. That glass house you live in can't take having them thrown back.
  • Don't get all offended. I have been critical of the Eagles. Case in point when the Eagles signed Nnamdi and traded for DRC they should have just traded Samuel right then. They could have gotten at least a third, but they got greedy and had to dump him off for a 6 th round pick the next season after he caused much disruption in the locker room and had a poor season. With that being the case all of the Eagles so called dysfunction over their quarterbacks cost them at most a 3rd round pick. That's not even close to giving up 2 firsts a second and a third. That's just pathetic. Like I wrote earlier those fools can be fleeced. Just ask the Vikings, Bengals, and Patriots.
  • Let's not forget this group of dysfunction also gave up a 4th for Jason Campell a guy the Redskins were most likely going to just release. You can't make this stuff up!
  • So AL DAVIS used to swing for the fences. What of it? His instincts led him to THREE SUPER BOWL VICTORIES, so he was used to trusting himself.

Even when it was clear that he no longer was as sharp, it was clear that he still had more left on the ball than Jeff Lurie ever will.
  • Now were talking about super bowls from the 70s and 80s. Congrats you have just placed yourself on the level of Romorules. For the record it still doesn't take away from the fact the Raiders can be fleeced. Just accept the facts and move on.
  • I wasn't talking about the 70's and 80's, I was talking about AL DAVIS who was responsible for the moves you mentioned.

And yes the Raiders can be fleeced. Then again so can any NFL team. Even the Dream Team had it's problems.

It's funny. All these other things to discuss but all you wish to focus on, is my Raiders or your personal grudge against Mike Vick. I'm not going to argue with you on Vick because that will resolve itself.

However if you wish to discuss the Raiders, I'd be THRILLED to, and if you like, I'll post some of my Raiders "MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" series on the Eagles page here. And if anyone asks, I'll refer to THIS post to let everyone know it was YOUR INTEREST that brought the Raiders back to the Eagles page.

Ball's in your court Sport! Now let's see what you do with it.
  • Actually I could careless about the Raiders. You brought them up. This story was about how Jackson needs to switch sides, because you ASSume Vick will be the quarterback. I just pointed out that would be a moot point if he doesn't start. I write on nearly every article on the site regardless of the topic or who wrote them. I don't discriminate because I think I'm better than anyone unlike you, but I will stop there. After all I know I am dealing with someone who ASSumes they know everything and what's best for everyone. I think my point has been clear. The Raiders are gullible suckers and if they do draft Geno Smith we could probably get Pryor off their hands for little to nothing. If you would like to put an article up on the many ways the Eagles could fleece the Raiders ( like the one you wrote about us fleecing the Cardinals) by all means be my guest. That's about all I would care to read about regarding those bums. Nevertheless I would most likely still comment, because see above. Oh here's an idea! Maybe we can sucker the Raiders into giving up their pick for Foles or Vick! They have been fleeced for much worse! I would love to see what your article would be like on that topic. I look forward to reading it.
  • You said you look forward to reading a Raiders-based article? You got it!
  • i say our 3, yes 3, starting recievers should be desean on the left, maclin in the slot, n darick rogers on the right. avant isnt fast enough anymore to be the 3rd reciever, not in kellys offense at least. cooper could be the 4th i wouldnt mind movin on from avant hes been good but nothing speciall n hes dropping more balls every year it seems.
  • I don't think anybody would disagree with you on the 3 WR thing. I too think that's where we're headed. That and the 2WR 2TE look, as the word is that James Casey will be our Aaron Hernandez.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Verlander, Upton nude photos hacked

Blue Jays give Jeter unique farewell gift

Photos: D-Wade and Gabby tie the knot

Jimmy Johnson: Jerry Jones comes across like an A-hole

Pats trade Ryan Mallett to Texans

Rajon Rondo wants out of Boston?

WATCH: Auburn ball boy's crazy speed

WATCH: See the catch of the year

Rams release Michael Sam

Stephen Hill's agent blames Sanchez, Tebow for release

Beckham injured avoiding paparazzi

Ohio State TE wearing Braxton Miller's number

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.