March 12, 2013

THE 12: #8 PICK A BIT * *

(I wrote this last night, and I could have re-written it today, after the Issac Sopoaga signing (so excited!), but I feel that would be faking the funk. Besides it's neat to see what difference a day makes.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ONE of the worst things about being an Eagles fan over the last two years has been watching the lack of gap control. To call it abysmal would be to pay it a compliment. Our DT’s have been good at gaining penetration, but have done an absolutely poor job of stacking against the run. This is especially awful when you consider that the 4-3 base they played was originally designed to stop the run by forcing it outside.

Hearing that they may go to a 3-4 alignment with no 280lb DE’s , no 325lb NT, and no 250lb ILB’s only sounds like the problem will only get worse. Hearing that they may utilize a “4-3 Under” scheme sounds a little better, but only if they change the culture of what Eagle DT’s are expected to produce.

Remember Mike Pitts? He was the guy that rotated with Mike Golic at DT next to Jerome Brown. Speaking of Mike Golic, remember his brother Bob Golic? Near the end of his career Bob played in Oakland and was the guy who did all the dirty work with Howie Long, so guys like Greg Townsend and Scott Davis could shine. Mike Pitts and Bob Golic locked down one gap and stacked blockers to cause traffic to flow away from the pile ups they created. John Jurkovic did the same thing in Green Bay. You need those guys. They make it possible for other guys to rack up numbers while the run still gets shut down.

THE MEAT:

With a Defensive Line consisting of 4 guys all trying to gain penetration, you end up with nobody defending the run. Defending the run and the pass are two different sets of techniques. For the last two years we’ve been measuring DL success by sacks. While our DT’s have accounted for 22.5 of our 80 sacks over that span, (11 of 50 sacks vs. 1801 rushing yards in 2011, and 11.5 of 30 sacks vs. 2021 rushing yards in 2012) our run defense has gotten worse as the DT’s share of our sacks have gone up.

The real measure of how your Interior plays is how many rushing yards they give up between the DE’s and how rarely the QB can step up to avoid rushers off the edge. THAT is your standard. Tipped passes and sacks are bonuses. Here in Philadelphia we’ve come to prize the highlights over functional stability. This is wrong from every basic football, engineering, strategic or even mathematical standpoint.

THE MOVE:

Pick a b⁞tch. Somebody has to be the guy who crashes the “A” gap and gets one-on-one match-ups for everybody else. We need a big body who can cause a traffic jam in between the Center and the Guard and force plays away from that gap. He won’t rack up numbers, and fans who don’t know any better will say he doesn’t do much, but if he forces RB’s and QB’s into Fletcher Cox’s arms and allows DeMeco Ryans to flow to the action, he’ll be worth his weight in gold.

Antonio Dixon is the guy we have on roster now, but it’s likely that the Eagles will get a big body from this Draft pool. Regardless of whether it’s Dixon or not, this move would the key to taking away the run. The Bears have done it for years. The Vikings did it with the Williams boys. Baltimore won a Super Bowl behind it in 2000 with two aging DT’s.

We can do this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(And we DID!) :)

8 Comments:
  • I heard that DE/DT Ricky-Jean Francois is heading to Philly to talk to the Eagles. Seems like he could slip over to take the other DE spot across from Cox. Sopoaga, Cox and Francois would give them some nice size up front.
  • That sounds like they're building a 3-4 from scratch! So what happens with Cole, Graham, Curry, Hunt, and Thornton??? That's a lot of talent to suddenly not have a use for!

The word coming from Kelly and Davis had been that the system they used would be based on who was on the roster. Instead it seems that they're ripping up the old roster and filling it in with other pieces.

Understand what I'm saying here. Sopoaga ADDED to the talented pass rushers we have, is AWESOME. Installing a 3-4 line with 2 guys with a career 10.5 sacks between them is...frankly I'm worried. It can be made to work in a 4-3, but I just don't see it in a 3-4.

I just don't see it.
  • We all just gotta give it time at this point. Either Kelly is sitting in a room full of idiots that he hired and he's the biggest one there or somehow there's a method to his madness and he's some sort of diabolical genius... I'm hoping for the latter
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Hunt most likely will be gone, but he may get a shot at OLB. Cole, Graham, and Curry will be transitioned to OLB. Kendricks will move inside where he played in college anyway. Thorton will be moved to a 3-4 end. My guess is they will transition in and out of a 3-4/4-3 scheme with plans to permanently switch to a 3-4. The defense regardless of what style they played is going to be transitioning and a lot of work. The defense already will have at least 6 new starters. This wasn't going to be an easy fix.
  • I think getting run stutters was obvious. I never cared how many sacks the DTs got as long as they stopped the run n forced the qb to move back. Sopoaga will do that from either the NT or DT position he has experience at both. I still say it's gonna be a 3-4 I've been saying that all along for the same reason Vick will start. It's what the coaches do. A line of cox sop Ricky isn't bad Cole/graham can share time as the rusher LB. As for them not being able to cover. I don't hear San Fran crying over aldon smiths coverage ability. With kendricks n ryans inside n dion Jordan outside our front 7 can be good. Think of it as smith, bowman, Willis, Brooks in San Fran. It would be about the same.
  • I wouldn't say it would be the same. San Fran has the NFL's best ILB tandem. Bowman and Willis are animals. If Urlacher hangs it up along with Ray Lewis this year, they could quite possibly be the best 2 INDIVIDUAL ILB's in the league (although for my money Arizona's Darryl Washington and Pittsburgh's Lawrence Timmons run a not so distant 3 and 4.) Now if Seattle's Bobby Wagner keeps up his rookie pace, he could be the league's best in a couple of years.

We're a looooooong way off from that class of player.
  • I didnt mean talent wise just the way they r used n the skill sets they would bring to the table. Cole/Graham used the way smith is ryans as bowman kendricks as Willis n Jordan as Brooks. They would bring the same skill sets. Would they be as good? Most likely not. But it is the best way for us to use our LBs.

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.