March 29, 2013

THE 2013 DRAFT WISH LIST

RIGHT off the bat let me say for the record that I still would like FS Eric Reid, but there is no way to project the Eagles having the extra pick to do it with as of today. That said, this Draft Wish List is built with an eye towards what Chip Kelly says that he (not me) wants to build. It’s also based off of what we have at the moment. (If something changes, I’ll adjust off course.)

Round 1 Pick 4: (G) CHANCE WARMACK – For once let’s just take the blue chip player dangling in front of us. His former position coach is now with the Eagles so he’ll know how to get the most out of him and he’s a Day 1 starter. Besides, we haven’t had a star inside since Shawn Andrews went insane.

Round 2 Pick 3: (OT) KYLE LONG – He already knows Kelly’s system since it’s the one he just played in a few weeks back. He’s also already in the condition to run it, and he can mentor it to his line-mates and lay the groundwork for him being in the next generation of leaders for this team. Not to mention the fact that we could use another credible starter at OT.

Round 3 Pick 5: (CB) B.W. WEBB – We have a lot of bodies at CB, but no real quality depth. This guy is a heck of an athlete and he’s a legit Corner. Check the reel and when you do ignore all the interceptions. Watch him diagnose screens, limit YAC, and get low to turn the run back inside. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hlxbwX5F3c .The knock on him is that he went to a small school, but in recent years when William and Mary turns out a draft pick, he usually sticks, contributes and often starts. Besides, Kelly wants to build up Special Teams and this guy also gives you a PR.

Round 4 Pick 4: (FS) JOSH EVANS – We still need a guy who can play deep AND play the run. If this guy slips through to the 4th, we have to grab him. This, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CdLdRu4NTk  is a one minute highlight reel, and this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPErIZss3Nc is a down in and down out (6 minutes) reel of him in a game. (I like this one better because it shows what he has to tighten up at this level.) Safety is thin this year, and not only do we need a puppy here, but Kelly likes them and LB’s for Special Teams.

Round 5 Pick 3: (ILB) A.J. KLEIN – He’s a fiery, 250lb. MLB with FOUR pick-six TD’s in college. If this guy ends up in the 5th (where he’s projected) we’re idiots if we sleep on him. But words are cheap, watch him play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccA5hvUaX-8 .

Round 6 Pick 28: (QB) JORDAN RODGERS – Yeah. His brother. The knock on him that he’s short (at 6’1). You wanna see a mobile QB who gets out of bounds? Wanna see a QB who makes quick decisions? Wanna see a guy use his feet in the pocket to get a receiver open? Wanna see a young guy throw the ball away when nothing is there? Wanna see a guy deliver the ball to THE spot? This isn’t a highlight reel, it’s game film.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiqnCF5a9s . Keep in mind, he didn’t even get a Combine invite. I wouldn’t even be mad if we reached and grabbed him in the 5th because this guy could be a steal. This is my 2013 Russell Wilson.

Round 7 Pick 4: (RB) ONTERIO McCALEBB – You draft him here and move him to WR. He’s a 168lb. RB who can’t really break tackles, but he does catch the ball away from his body and does run a 4.37. Watching his reel you’ll see a guy who has NO BUSINESS at RB, and the QB he plays with is downright awful. But McCalebb’s speed rescues so many of those poorly conceived plays it’s not even funny. (Seriously, if the OC cashes one paycheck, they should arrest him for fraud.) Oh yeah, did I mention he’s also a KR? Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUrgtHkg-o .

Round 7 Pick 6: (S) DAIMION STAFFORD – This one is a head scratcher. He’s a FS who only runs a 4.65, but has SS/Nickle LB size, and he also is a PR. He has some highlight film but its really poor quality. Again, Special Teamer.

Round 7 Pick 24: (DT) NICK WILLIAMS – Kelly likes versatility and this guy has played both O-line and D-line, and he also did okay at the Combine. If he can be slid over to 3-4 DE, he could stick (plus he’d be cheap) if not…

9 Comments:
  • I like the Warmack and Long picks but I don't think the Eagles will go heavy that early along the offensive line with so many other needs and only one spot open for a starter IF everyone comes back healthy (I know, big if but it seems like all of them will be ready...we should hear more before the draft since the Eagles have scheduled their first practices before then). I hear they still have interest in Eric Winston and I'm hoping that something gets done there but am doubtful. I actually want the Eagles to draft either Milliner (a trade back if possible and drafting Rhodes would be okay also) or Fisher (if they don't bring in Winston) in the first (there are other picks I'd be fine with) and I want Manuel in the second.

1. (CB) Milliner (or Fisher if the Eagles don't get a starting OT before the draft)
    2. (QB) Manuel
    3. (OT) Terron Armstead (I'd love for Long to be here at 3 for the Eagles...don't think it will happen though...Justin Pugh would also be a nice addition here and supposely the Eagles have interest). This pick changes to corner if the Eagles draft Fisher in the first IF there is one worthy of their pick here (Darius Slay?...Tharold Simon?, Jordan Pryor?, Robert Alford?)
    4. (S) Philip Thomas (I'm not sure why you keep stating that the safety position is weak in this year's draft...I keep hearing that is is extremely deep and looking at the talent there it seems to be true).
    5. (ILB) AJ Klein (funny you threw him in your mock at 5...I've had him in a few of mine in the same spot).
    7. (DT) TJ Barnes (big body...maybe even too big but Kelly has a certain weight he wants all his players at and a sports science coordinator to help get them there. LOL If he's not willing to do the work than it was only a waste of a 7th...if Montori Hughes makes it to the 7th due to his off the field issues I'd look at him here).
    7. (DE) Abry Jones (I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles draft a defensive lineman earlier than the 7th...I honestly expect them to...maybe even Lotulelei in the 1st if he is deemed healthy but I doubt they draft him).
    7. I would like to see the Eagles get a returner strictly for his return skills with this pick. It doesn't matter what position he plays but if he has some corner skills that would be a plus. Your guy McCalebb is intruiging and seems to have great quickness, very good speed and nice moves. I can see Kelly finding some plays for him in the offense. Who knows maybe in their 2nd years Damaris Johnson and Boykin step up a bit more but competition is only a good thing. Arrelious Benn may also help in this aspect.
    7. (P )Would love to see Ryan Allen here but it doesn't seem like he makes it into the 7th round. Like I said in my last comment competition is a good thing so why not bring some in for Donnie Jones with the Eagles compensatory pick? I think the Eagles may do that but it will probably be with an undrafted free agent.

The Eagles don't have a 6th round pick, flip but they did pick up a 7th in form of a compensatory pick so your total of 9 picks is correct. I'm sure I probably won't hit on many of these and maybe even none. The Eagles could trade back in the 1st and take a player none of us see here or they could take Geno Smith at 4 and throw some of the other picks I have off. They could take a defensive lineman early and maybe even go after a weapon or two that will help Kelly make his offense more in line to what he wants....we just don't know yet. Can't wait to find out.
  • I think that trying to pick players in this draft is a chore in futility. We don't know the scheme, we are just making choices off of assumptions of what we think the Eagles needs are. In reality we don't have an idea of what the Eagles needs truly are, because we don't know what their schemes will be. Honestly I wonder if the Eagles even know what their plans are. With that being the case I doubt Manuel will be there for your second pick. With so many teams still with needs for a quarterback, combined with the recent success of the read option I wouldn't be surprised to see a team trade back into the first round to get him.
  • You may be right, Eazy...who knows. To tell you the truth this is the first time I've thrown a mock out publicly (I dabble for my own curiousity at times to see what the Eagles roster may look like after free agency but honestly they almost never draft many players that I want them to and I think that usually is a good thing). I agree with you about it being futile (for many reasons...the biggest being what the hell do I know?) but figured what the hell.
  • I generally chose not to make one, but I will investigate the players other people put together. I know what I think they should draft position wise, and the times I did put players I thought they should get on a list they never did draft the except Brian Westbrook. It seemed like a lot of unnecessary work in the long run especially with this draft. This draft every week players are flip flopping positions. Geno Smith went from fist overall to out of the top 10 to possibly back in the top 5 all in less than a month. I have seen more than 10 mock drafts all having the Eagles select 10 different players.
  • Going by importance of position (lack of talent at that position) is what I tried to do but looking at my mock I probably didn't emphasize the defensive line enough. You know I feel the Eagles need to come out of this draft with a QB in rounds 1 or 2 preferably...Smith in the 1st or Manuel in the 2nd if he's there. I also think it's important that the Eagles come out early and draft an offensive lineman (tackle would be the way to go since they just haven't had any tackle depth in years and could move Herremans back to guard and let Watkins develop hopefully). Corner is another position I think they could use a young stud who can start immediately so the Eagles wouldn't have to just give the job to Fletcher unless he earned it. QB, tackle and corner. The QB that can come in and be expected to start immediately may be limited to Smith although Reid didn't start McNabb day one and we don't know what Kelly's thinking is...I guess we just hope if Kelly drafts a QB he throws him into that open competition.
  • I think I would like to see a corner, QB, and a safety in the first three picks. I think middle rounds would be better suited for picking linemen especially interior lineman. I think in the first three picks the Eagles need impact players. Players who will be starting from day one or by the end of the the season. I hope they don't go tackle or guard with any of the first three picks. Neither are likely to start, but say the go Womack with the first, it would make the Watkins pick irrelevant. I think they still have faith in Watkins so I doubt they make a move there, but I could be wrong about it. Maybe they are just waiting to draft Womack to cut Watkins.
  • I apologize for my error with regards to the 6th round pick, and I thank you for the correction.

I think we should have all five of last year's opening day Offensive Linemen back in time for camp this year, but I think we have a bigger need inside than at Tackle.

As far as me saying that Safety is thin, it's with regard to so many of this years prospects being said to lack the speed to recover. It's that very ability that a center-fielder needs, and the reason I zeroed in on Eric Reid and Josh Evans.

If they were sticking with the 4-3, I could see prioritizing D-linemen, but in keeping with what Kelly said about carrying more LB's helping Special Teams, I backed off of a FEW guys I 'd like to see them get.

• They will play a hybrid 3-4 system--trent cole can stand up or down in the system---we need dept on roster,if he,does draft a qb--if he smart with ota,he will comprehend system,like everybody esle,ala russell wilson--and draft for offensive line dept--if not dead in the water period.
  • CORRECTIONS!!!!!!

We do not have the 28th pick in the 6th round, nor the 24th in the 7th.
    What we have are the 12th and 33rd picks in the 7th round.

Credit Greentildeath with the corrections. A new Wish List will be coming shortly.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.