April 04, 2013

THE COWBOYS AND THE REST OF THE WEST.

ACCORDING to the poll on the website, 49% of fans are looking forward to the Raiders-Cowboys game more than any other away game this year. We also get to face them this preseason to boot.

It's not unusual that we face the Cowboys in the preseason or in a scrimmage, but the idea of establishing regional superiority in a REAL game has a nice sound to it. Particularly if we can beat the Chargers in their home.

The menu also includes the Texans, but it remains to be seen just who will eat who in that game. (Admittedly I don't like the match-up of their defense and our Offense.)

We won't see Arizona this year, and I'm not sure about prime-time games either, but my guess is that until we raise our regional standing, (since the AFC West is such a volatile division), the message that "WE are back", won't carry as much weight with a division win alone. Remember when we swept the division in 2010 and still finished 3rd in the division with no playoffs? It did nothing to alter people's perception of us as a team. 

We need to beat teams in the southwest and get back that Raider mystique. We gotta get back some of that fear based hate that used to be the fuel for our "Us Against the World" mentality.

17 Comments:
  • It did nothing to alter anyone's perception because the Raiders haven't been consistently good since the early 80's. The 90's only saw three playoff appearances. Then they had a three year streak of making the playoffs in the early 2000's. Now I'm not trying to knock the Raiders history or say they weren't great at one time, I know they have won superbowls and all that you don't need to defend them on that. But it's been TEN YEARS since they made the playoff and they haven't had a winning record since then.

It's because the team has been poorly managed. They made one absolutely horrible trade which you and I have already brought up. They didn't draft in the 1st in 2010, and didn't draft in the 1st OR 2nd last year. They made TERRIBLE first round draft picks in 2007 and 2009.

McFadden is really the only bright spot on the roster. They don't need to rebuild they need to just flat out build, build quick, and build around him. The painful truth is after this year McFadden could very well walk away. Yea they could franchise him and all that, but if this team doesn't show some improvement he's going to make it hell for them to keep him.

None of this rah rah bring back the "mystique", they need to build their own identity because right now it's an identity of being a bottom of the barrel team. It's time to reinvent the Raiders, Al Davis is gone and clinging to the past isn't going to help this team win games. Let's not kid ourselves no one is afraid to enter Raiders country and they haven't been for some time.
  • McFadden is NOT the only bright spot on the roster. Not sure why you'd even say that. It's weird. Eagles fans get down on Vick for getting injured but call RunDMC our only bright spot. (smh)

YES. We were poorly managed and everybody knew it. Some people even said it publicly. But THE OLD MAN was THE OLD MAN... I said on here once, that we probably wouldn't return to prominence until HE had moved on to rest. A genius in HIS day that we will always owe a debt to, it (as a fan) wasn't too much to ask that HE go out HIS way.

On HIS feet.

So yeah. We were poorly managed.

Looking at the Raiders A.D., we just had the most solid and sane Draft we've had in almost a decade. Moves have now been made to get our FINANCIAL house in order. Malcontents are being removed (Palmer, Kelly, hopefully soon Rolando McClain). Fan access has been increased. Player offseason involvement is way up.

We DO need to rebuild. We aren't merely rebuilding a roster, we're rebuilding a culture. We're turning our mindset to the modern era OFF THE FIELD, to make better decisions that impact ON THE FIELD. That's why so many players are being removed. That's why the coaching staff has been overhauled and now includes top-shelf minds we could have never attracted under AL DAVIS (because he was so overbearing). That's why we decided to embrace a Power Running Offense and an attacking 4-3 Defense. These are our hallmarks. Our calling cards. Our identity.

As far as no one being afraid to enter Raider Country, DUH! That was the point of the article. Remember the parts where I talked about having beat teams? Yeah, that was what I was talking about. That part. Right there. That was it.

Now you got it!
  • I think we're saying the same thing but coming from different angles. The Raiders have been hurting for awhile and while last years draft may be considered sane the team wasn't able to get top talent because they were vacant from the first two rounds.

It's gonna take a few seasons for them to years of not hitting the mark on guys in the first round. But I digress...

The main point I was making is what you said in your reply. That they need to rebuild the culture and I do think they are making steps to do that. Unfortunately it's hard to do when they have been flopping in the high rounds of recent drafts.

Philly had similar problems when they traded out of the 1st in back to back years and then with recent picks like Watkins. They then tried to bring in free agent talent and it blew up. IF the Raiders can continue to have sane drafts start to bring in top talent though the early rounds they, like the Eagles, should be able to turn it around in a season or two.

With regard to McFadden he's their star player and looking at their roster I don't see anyone else like that. There are guys who have shown they could develop into stars. I'm curious as to who else you see being some of the Raiders bright spots?
  • Pro Bowl FB Marcel Reece is a match-up NIGHTMARE.
    We have a young and steady O-line coming into it's own.
    Rod Streater was an undrafted FA out of temple who stepped up for us and gave us more than could have been reasonably expected.
    Then of course there's Denarius Moore. He struggled last year and still caught 7 TD's for us. I can't imagine a player who is going to benefit more from the 8-man fronts that this Power scheme is going to bring. He has more TD's in the last 2 years (his only 2) than either DJax or Maclin.

Defensively I spent last year raving about Miles Burris even BEFORE he was pressed into starting, and look how my man responded in his rookie season!
    We just added Tracy Porter (and man did WE need a CB!).
    In our scheme Lamar Houston doesn't get many sacks as the Raiders (don't use the DE's to as primary passrushers like the Eagles do instead we) use the DE's to set the edges and allow the LB's to make plays. Houston does a great job of this.
    We did a quiet and eerily solid job of the people we signed to our defensive front, In particular Nick Roach, Pat Sims, Kaluka Maiava, and Vance Walker. No stars, but you can really see what they're trying to do in relation to the attacking LB based scheme.

Shorter DT's to gain interior leverage, and wide, strong D-linemen across the board for clogging gaps and eating up blockers to allow smaller, athletic LB's to flow around and make plays.

• U do realize Oakland is closer to Seattle than Dallas right? Oakland isn't part of the southwest.
  • Not talking U.S. map, I'm talking territory. Dallas isn't in the east, but it IS an NFC East team.

You do realize that making a quip and making a point isn't the same thing, right?
  • U do realize u can do both at the same time though right?

So if dallas n Oakland aren't in the same part of the country how do they have the same territory ? That's like saying the eagles n pats do or dolphins n saints.

When they realigned the divisions the panthers should have been put into the NFC east n dallass in the south but that's just my opinion.
  • Fans.

We actually have a bit of an old rivalry with the Cowboys (Look it up. Oakland hates Dallas almost as much as Philadelphia does. 6-4 all-time vs the Cowboys.)
  • Darren McFadden was taken 4th in the draft and he may not even be the 4th best back in his draft class. Overrated........
  • (shrug)
  • That's pretty much all you can do since it's true.
  • (shrug)
  • I stand corrected. Jonathan Stewart has more rushing, yards, and touchdowns than McFadden despite having to share the load his entire career with DeAngelo Williams. In other words McFadden isn't the 4th best back in his class. Again all you can do is shrug.
  • He spends a lot of time injured, so he hasn't been but so productive. And?

You make out as if YOU'RE saying something WE FANS haven't been saying for the last 2 years. Look at the Raider boards. Most of us are hoping for a RB in this years Draft.

Look at the bright spots I mentioned to Bnugent. See who's name ISN'T on there? C'mon guy, stop it. You just aren't smart enough or informed enough, and Wikipedia will only tell you so much. Fans recall the events that led up to things. You're just quoting articles (some out of order), and looking like a fool doing it.

AL DAVIS was dying and losing his faculties. What's your excuse?
  • Then you should be agreeing that he's overrated. Instead you seem to be getting upset. Do you comprehend the fact that I'm agreeing with you?
  • Who's upset? I'm on here ECSTATIC that we're changing from what we were doing that wasn't working! My team wasn't good enough and neither were some of the players. We're doing something different now. (Last year there was a lot of getting our feet back under us.)

AL DAVIS over the last decade+ has made some choices that have raised more than just my eyebrows (talking blood pressure here) but when a guy has been so successful AND OWNS THE TEAM, it's just about impossible to tell him he can't do something. AL DAVIS (look him up) made A CAREER out of proving wrong anybody who told him HE couldn't do something. HE'S in the HOF as a result. And besides, crackpot choices here and there be damned, we love the old coot. STILL. So we took it.

You see those stands at games? Oakland residents aren't rich people they're like Philly on the West Coast. They knew what was up. And still they went. They love their team and they love it's former owner. Call us foolish for sticking by our team if you like.

I once said we probably wouldn't be good again until HE went on to HIS rest. I meant it. HE'S gone and now we're turning the page.

My team just went 4-12. So apparently they have some work to do. Who in their right minds could argue with that? And what kind of fan would I be to NOT be excited when I see them doing the RIGHT things?
  • You're original post just made it seem like you beating SW teams was all you needed to get back to greatness.

You should have just said that they need to beat TEAMS in general. I'm glad you said they went 4-12 and apparently need some work, because I honestly thought you believe the Raiders were somehow on the edge of being a feared team.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.