February 22, 2013

The defense is the real rebuild

offensively we only have two real needs for starter, QB and RG. Depth along the O line obviously needs to be addressed as well but the defensive side of the ball is clearly a mess. I think if you fix the secondary a bit with at least 2 new quality guys it will make the entire defensive unit like an entirely new unit from last year

26 Comments:
  • I think this team could also use a new TE and a big receiver. A red zone presence. They should decide if Maclin or Jackson is their guy, but one of them should go. I agree though. This defense needs a lot of work especially in the secondary. Ironically the secondary was supposed to be one of the strong points of the team.
  • Agree with Eazy, they could use a TE and a big receiver but I think they can get by for a year at those spots if they have to. I don't agree with his thinking on Jackson and Maclin...see what they both can do in this offense. I'd also rather they pick up a tackle and move Herremans back to guard (it also helps them in case Peters is struggling).

Defense is more difficult because of the secondary but the Eagles honestly don't know what they have in many positions if they are to change to a 3-4. Does Cole step up this year, can Graham (or any of their traditional DEs) play outside linebacker, who is their NT? Hopefully they address a spot or two in free agency.
  • I read that (cringing as I'm typing) Howie Roseman believes the Eagles already have their nose tackle in Antonio Dixon. The guy could go from being cut to being their starter. I feel that the Eagles should make a choice on Jackson or Maclin, because I think they both have similar skill sets, and a bigger receiver should be inserted into the starting lineup. With Maclin his contract is soon coming up and he's going to want to be paid. With Jackson they have already paid him, and if the acquire another receiver something will have to give.
  • I get that and if they don't plan on keeping Maclin than maybe they should see what they can get for him but he isn't that top tier wide out and might take a second tier contract. If they have already offered him one and he refused then maybe they should look to trade him or Jackson and see what offers they get. Jackson was having a pretty good year last year but again was injured. The Eagles just can't win with their receivers, can they?
  • I think we're fine a TE and WR for now. obviously i'd love a big WR for the redzone and another good TE to run more effective 2 TE sets but when you put those to WANTS against what the team NEEDS the most i'd do is draft a guy in the 4th MAYBE 3rd IF there's a guy we can't pass on. otherwise the team really NEEDS to address the defense, adding another solid offensive linemen, and the quarterback spot (even though there doesn't seem to be a clear answer to it). TE and WR in my mind can be addressed late in the draft or even next season. having either of those two things added won't prevent teams from ripping apart our defense.
  • I see TE as a need now. Celek isn't the player he used to be. He drops too many balls and he's an average blocker at best. He used to be a red zone threat , but now he doesn't get open and he's just as likely to tip the ball into the hands of the other team than he is to catch it. Red Zone was again terrible last season and the lead the league in Red Zone turnovers. That tells me they don't have a player they can count on to score touchdowns in the Red Zone. I know it may not seem like it, but these are serious problems for this team. I think they could get a TE via free agency. The could grab up Mike Wallace too. He has great size and speed to boot. I don't mind how they address the problems, but they do need to address them.
  • is it that Celek's skills have diminished or that vick hasn't been delivering the ball on a consistent basis for the past two seasons. vick never trusted the timing routes he was supposed to and while obviously some of the blame is on the receivers, the receiving numbers for everyone are down across the board over the past two seasons.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • You make a valid point. With that being the case everyone seems to think Chip Kelly is a liar and that Mike Vick is his guy for the future. That means Vick will be here with his poorly timed passes. For some reason there is a lot of people around here very giddy about that.
  • I'm not one of those people. I believe that our WRs and TEs are good. Maybe not top five in the league but they are good. IF we had a QB who could consistently deliver the ball to them we would be night and day better. now some of the blame does fall on the receivers themselves but when you are a pass catcher and your passer does not build that trust with you to where you always now that the ball is going to be a good pass it can actually catch you OFF guard when you get a pass that should be a routine catch.
  • Maybe that is the case. Maybe Vick is the problem as a whole. You won't catch me arguing against that logic. Better to change the one player than the entire roster.
  • The starting offense will have 3 WR a TE a RB n a QB so keeping desean n maclin is our best option. If we draft darick Rogers out of teen tech he can be our big WR at 6-3 206 (right now) allowing maclin to play in the slot utilizing quick throws with Rogers playing the do everything WR n desean the deep threat. Celek is good he just is forced to block all the time. He had some key drops but that can be due to not being used to or practicing routes n catching as much as usual. Could we upgrade sure but it's not needed.

Now to the defense mess

We can add good players at all of our need positions even if we switch to a 3-4.
    A line of
    Cox Dixon star would be nice
    A line of
    Cox tj barnes (GT 6-7 375 6th round) star would be even nicer
    LBs
    Cole/Graham, ryans, hodges (penn state 4th round), kendricks
    Corners
    DRC n asomo (havent heard if he's been cut or not ) but I would brim both back with a normal defense n see what happens
    Safeties (fun time)
    William Moore, Eric Reid
    Or
    Eric Reid, Tony Jefferson
    Or
    Tj McDonald, Tony Jefferson
    Or
    Tyrann matheiu, Eric Reid
    Or any combo of the players listed all could play together
  • DRC is a free agent n should walk i'd rather pick up woodson... Asomugha is gone unless he takes a paycut.
  • I think he will take the cut and stay.
  • DRC was playing great under Castillo asomo wasn't that horrible under him either just had no safety help. When allowed to do what they do they were good. The entire defense was good under Castillo. Asomo will be gone if he doesn't take a pay cut n he should be. But to say they aren't good is stupid if u actually compare the time they spent under castillo this year n Bowles. With the right safety play the corners mistakes would be as huge
  • Asomugha let his guy go when he has no one else to cover... DRC gave up on plays when he got beat. You aren't being honest with yourself if you think that the eagles were GOOD under Castillo. maybe we have two different definitions of good but in my eyes the eagles D hasn't been good since Jim Johnson passed away.
  • i didnt know 18ppg was bad. i am the same guy long story with my account names n yb sucking
  • blowing fourth quarter leads is bad, having virtually no sacks was bad, letting backs run all day on us was bad. when i think of a good defense i think about the eagles who were led by brian dawkins when we had CBs who could tackle, when we got to the QB, and we created turnovers. thats a good defense
  • HEY! You got your Dawk back! Good for you!
  • just made a new one flip seemed like the easiest route. dropped the 4life. was thinking of making it 20dawk4lifeoratleastuntilybchangesmyname.

u mean lito n sheldon? u mean 06 when the defense gave up a ton of fourth quarter leads cause the offense scored too fast? opposite problem this year. offense turned the ball over too much n never scored, only 16ppg. safeties r the biggest factor when it comes to turnovers. when they dont let people past them, fall for play action, the qb needs to throw to the back side of the WR where our CBs usually play because of press coverage. not too many TDs came on the side lines. they did happen but not nearly as much as down the numbers n hash marks. poor pass rush allowed qbs time for the WR to get behind the safeties. notice how that didnt happen on colt anderson. sadly he was our best safety last year.
  • The Eagles defense couldnt contain anyone in the clutch. they stunk. They were measured and beaten everytime. Now if you look at the Ravens they have mid rounders in that secondary that were a hell of alot tougher than the Eagles. I think the Eagles need that interior push and need to draft Star if possible. I agree with Flip its a big mistake to take away two marquee guys from the secondary. If the Dline did its job Nhamdi and Drc would look like superstars. This is simply a bad move that could have disaster written all over it. I do not think this team needs to be turned upside down. And I dont think the fans want that. Thi sisnt going to be an opportunity for Lurie to save money.
  • I think it's the other way around if Nnamdi and DRC and Allen and Coleman did THEIR JOBS the D-line would look like superstars.

In my support for our CB's I'm not absolving them of all blame, but I think it's important that fans realize how Man-press works and what it's caveats are. There's a reason WHY so few teams employ it. Without understanding that, it's easy to pile undeserved failure in front of the CB's of a team that uses Man-press.
  • Good Lord guys were running free in the secondary in man and zone coverages. The corners quit, the safeties stunk, and the front 7 couldn't cover or rush. All of it fell apart at the departure of Juan. Prior to that the defense was holding teams to about 16 points a game. Unfortunately the offense was only scoring about 16 points a game. As such we were 3-3. The offense with terrible turnovers and poor play calling constantly put the defense in terrible situations. It was a bad mix of coaches and players. The fewer of these guys who come back (let's not forget the quit on the team) the better it will be in the long run.
  • I'm having trouble following your logic. Are you saying Chip Kelly should gut the team? If so, on who's authority? And by who's authority I mean, who's word do you say he should take as to who quit and who didn't, since the old coaching staff is gone, and you dislike/distrust the current roster?
  • I dont think this is the first time a team quit. But there are several instances of good teams getting new coaching personnel and playing much better. Ravens and 49ers are a good example.
  • raven's D has always been good. and san fran is stacked with talented guys on the defensive side of the ball who play hard, dont quit, and make tackles. I havent seen any of that from the eagles over the past two years. maybe the new staff can turn things aroung. as for who should go based on quitting i would say the coaching staff go to the film over the past two years and make the decision that way.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

NBA free agency and trade tracker

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

WWE Battleground full results

Gallery: The best of Hannah Ferguson

Best NFL player at every number

Fashionable history of wrestling hippies

Most compelling storylines for MLB's second half

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

How trading for David Price changes the odds

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.