March 02, 2014

THE DESEAN JACKSON TRADE

WITH everything the Eagles have to deal with concerning DeSean Jackson, it’s not a wonder that his name has come up as trade bait.

A couple years ago I was of a mind that instead of re-signing him, we should let him walk and replace him with a guy like Mike Wallace. (Now if we end up trading him to Miami, they would have both DJax AND Wallace. Yikes.)

I was also keen on the idea of going with a WR duo of Jeremy Maclin and Riley Cooper. We may get just that, this year.

I don’t want to see Jackson traded “for cap space” and a pair of middle round picks. That trade would be garbage. If he’s moved, we should get back an experienced NFL player as part of that deal. If we lose a difference maker in this area, we should get one in another.

That’s just common sense.

12 Comments:
  • The thing will go down in draft --- djax open his mouth to much got a big deal,and still not happy,WHAT'S UP WITH THIS DUDE" this is the nfl,you can be replace,he has not figure that out yet,hand down--man down--faking home invasion--EAGLE'S TRADE THIS CLOWN!!!and move on,he is a talent,not a headache. The draft class is full of blue chip wide recvers for chip Kelly system---He screwed his self,with I want more money,who would do that period.
  • Let me say this first. I am 100 percent against trading desean.

However if we were to do that I'd want a player like Muhammad Wilkerson and a third, dontari Poe and a third, or chris long plus a second.
  • Wilkerson. Nice one. That and I'm a sucker for the local angle. I think a man defending his home fights with more ferocity, than a man merely hired to defend a place.

Besides, 8 games a year in front of friends and cousins who won't let you live stuff down? Anything you can use as motivation still is motivation.
  • Its just Eagle chatter nothing more. He isnt going anywhere because he is to important to that offense. They wouldnt dare give Foles less because the end result might not be pretty.
  • I'm not sure that it would be giving Foles less.

If we picked up something that dramatically helped the Defense, that helps Foles by giving him more opportunities.

On top of this, (someone has to say it), DJax is pretty much a one trick pony. Once his speed goes we'll end up with a skinny WR who doesn't run great routes, win jump balls, or break tackles.

I'd trade 4.4 speed for a 4.5 guy who can do any 2 of those things. And I'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • thats not likely to happen for at least 4 or more years so I wouldnt call that a good rationalization at this point.
  • I wouldn't be against trading DJ, not only because of the attitude that doesn't seem to be coherent with what Chip is trying to do in the locker room but also the 12 or so million it'll save.

JMac being back eases my concern a bit but a knee injury is a knee injury always tricky. We'd have to get enough back that would translate into another option at WR. To me it'd have to be a 1st pick, which I doubt we'll get.

The other half of the story is who's going to trade for him. Sure there are teams out there who would want him. However, he's concussion prone, he's a bit of a diva, and he's expensive.

When all is said and done I don't see him being moved. And I'm ok with that too. After all I was excited to see what Jmac and DJ could do on the field together last season so why not see this year?
  • I think we're good either way as long as we don't end up getting some bull****. (Just remembered I can't curse here, like on my site.)

As long as we don't end up with something like a 2nd and a 4th, with a conditional 3rd next year, I'm good.
  • Maclin got a great one year deal but lets not forget Jacksons stunt ant contract time. I dont expect to see maclin running across the middle anytime soon. I think the Eagles need to fill Avants spot with a big fast physical wr via draft or free agency. Thats building fan confidence. Trading jackson for a defender doesnt get us closer to a superbowl.
  • Jackson getting shutdown by a 3rd round pick in the first round of the playoffs doesn't get us any closer either.
  • The saints brought their vanilla playoff package and we couldnt deal with it. They better bring some help in or the Eagles momentum could stall.
  • I think keeping him for now make sense there is no NEED to deal him right now until he becomes a real headache. I'm not entirely sure how the whole contract/raise thing came up, but if it was in the context of someone asking "Hey DJ do you think you deserve a raise?" well then no duh he says yes. Just about everyone on the planet thinks they are underpaid. Having him, Mac, and Cooper makes us even deadlier esp given our stable of RBs and TEs. Unless he becomes a problem I say leave him be for now, but if he starts a side show make sure we get at least a 2nd rounder.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Toss pies at Harvey Updyke for charity

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.