August 11, 2013

THE DIFFERENCE

NOT addressing problems and not learning from mistakes is fine if you don’t mind making constant excuses.  Constant excuses are fine if you don’t mind being a loser. If you want to be good, great or excellent however, when you identify a problem, you have to be accountable, step up and fix it. Last year for whatever reason, this wasn’t a theme during the season. THIS year however it isn’t just a theme, as it seems that with the close of 2012 itself, a page was turned. THIS year Identify, Admit and Fix is right at the core of everything we do.

Early in the game Friday, Matt Flynn was hit and we turned the ball over. It was a teachable moment and here is how it was handled:

Q: When it came to that sack fumble, it seemed to be a protection issue. When you look back at it, should that have been made pre snap or is that something that somebody maybe should have stayed back from the route, either the tight end or the back? What should have been done to protect that issue?

Coach Allen: Listen, it was a protection issue. We got a little hung up on the linebacker and we should have come back with a linebacker but really, you put that on everybody. You put that on the back, you put that on the quarterback, you put that on the offensive line. It was just something where we had a little bit of a mental lapse, and we’ll learn from it. They ran the same exact pressure in the next series and we picked it up exactly right. It’s something that you learn from and move on from

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Coach-Allen-Saturday/2082b644-4a97-4a27-8995-256894b5a826

Problem identified? CHECK! Responsibility Assigned? CHECK! Accountability? CHECK! Learning Demonstrated? CHECK!

That’s not just a blueprint for winning at ballgames, its blueprint for winning at life.

And it’s already the difference between last year and this.

4 Comments:
  • I saw a couple of Raider clips and think Flynn is a serviceable QB. But, his arm only seems slightly better than average. He stood in that pocket and waited to throw so he isnt a puss. But watching Romo I thought he looked a little weak in the arm as well. Dez was waiting on some balls that evetually got there. Not sure what Romo has in tank. This year is tailored for a Cowboy offensive surge.
  • They won a slugfest where every unit contributed. This year and next I suspect when they win it'll have to be that way.

With us being a rebuilding franchise I can't think of any other way I'd like us to be. The Commitment To Excellence SHOULD BE a hard road. Trial by fire. When we shake off the weak-minded and weak-willed, all we'll be left with is strength.
  • thats an interesting way to look at it. I dont think the eagles have gotten to that point. maybe the cuts will give us more information on the direction they are going. But the Eagles need to shed those that hold on to the bad habits of the past. If you remember what I said years ago I predicted that Reids ending would not be pretty. That everything they built would be destroyed by the arrogance of the organization. A virtual implosion. They need to find a clear path and identity. I think Ryans is the guy to lead on defense but he remains murky in that lousy defense. If that line would play he could dominate. And then they might be able to find guys to join him.
  • I'm not sure the Eagles CAN get to that point. I think it's a question of ownership.

Mark Davis grew up watching his dad build a storied franchise while fighting the NFL most of his life. He literally assumed control of the Raiders over his father's dead body.

Jeff Lurie wanted to make movies, sucked at it and borrowed money from his mom to buy a beat-up NFL team from an owner who half the time couldn't be bothered to be on the same CONTINENT with his team, much less at the games. The Eagles were bout on the cheap and treated like a business venture. I mean even banner was more accountant than football guy.

Philosophically I think the 2 teams are just coming from 2 different places, and unlike Davis who has, and trusts NFL minds to guide him, Lurie surrounds himself with sharp BUSINESS minds.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

No evidence of cancer in Jim Kelly

Best gift ever given for a jersey number?

Kent State center dies unexpectedly

Ref avoided doing Redskins games due to team name

Schilling: Tobacco caused mouth cancer

Most indispensables college players

WATCH: Bryan Cox's sex revelation

Ex-NFL LB diagnosed with ALS

Mo'Ne Davis makes cover of SI

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.