September 15, 2013

The Eagles Defense Has To Do Some Soul Searching.

Maybe it was just Rivers having one heck of a game, but honestly the defense came up small in this games as well. Far too many third down conversions. Desean Jackson should be a little upset with himself after that bone headed penalty, but in reality it wasn't like the defense was stoping anyone anyway. The Eagles special teams combined with some very stupid penalties on special teams by the Chargers kept them in long field positions for much of the game. Still the defense couldn't come up with critical third down stops all game. They were at times physical, but they simply weren't physical enough and the safety play by Nate Allen was fairly abysmal. Mike Vick made a flub or two here and there, but for the most part was outstanding. He ran when he had to, didn't take too many unnecessary hits, and was extremely smart with the football. The offense in my opinion capitalized as much as they could considering how poorly the defense played as a whole. On a side note thank you Andy Reid for knocking off the Cowboys. At least their one fake fan on this site will be quite for a week. I had the feeling this could be a letdown game do to the looming Andy Reid Bowl, and the fact the Chargers really needed this victory, but I don't feel the Eagles played poorly offensively. If you have a game where you score over thirty points more often than not you will win. Chalk this one up to the defensive players. I felt the defensive play calling in this game was fairly good, but the players failed to execute as often as they could have.

43 Comments:
  • DJax needs a little anger management. Imagin how explosive this offense will be when Maclin returns next season!
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Yeah Vicks 400+ yards had everything to do with them losing. You are a tard.
  • Spottie strikes again Hollywood. Vick was awesome. The offense was awesome but yet the president of the Roberto Clemente fan club blames the offense.
  • Not surprising Tony...to be expected, laughable is always gonna be laughable. But man My GMen need to wake up. Not liking what I see so far. Eli needs to stop the dam INT's and we need to get a running game going. But hell, they started out 0-2 and won a Fourth Super Bowl not too long ago. It's a long season so it will be interesting. The Seahawks look really tough in the NFC....loved watching them dismantle the 49ERS lastnight..
  • I dare them to ban me. Double dare. I am the longest member on this deserted island. They have nothing without me.
  • I shudder when I think of what Peyton is going to do to this defense in Week 4 at home. He tied the single game passing record against the Super Bowl Champs, but he might actually have the record all to himself after Week 4.
  • The corners have to step up. Other than Boykin they were terrible, and Nate Allen was awful today.
  • At first, I was apprehensive about trading for Jarius Byrd b/c of the potential price tag, but now I'm starting to strongly reconsider. Nate Allen is a Hoover. He sucks and blows at the same time!
  • I completely agree with you. I'm willing to bet if Byrd had a contract he would be playing right now.
    Wolf seems like a nice kid with a little potential, but he isn't an elite talent like Byrd. I think the Eagles should at least look into making a move there.
  • The guy is a bust and this organization just keeps force feeding him to us.
  • I don't get why wolff isn't starting for Allen. We know Allen can't play. Let us see wolff can't.
  • Atleast they are tackling. Who would have ever thought Allen would lead the team in tackles. So his coverage still sucks but he tackled them after they caught it. Defense sucked. Williams n his penalties. Desean missing those deep passes sucked plus the one td returned for lane Johnson's penalty. Tough lose. We could have won but give rivers credit. He's a great qb. His past two years were bad but still better than half the league. Ryan Mathews killed us. Idk why they stopped running so much. If it wasn't for the two fumbles by the chargers that score would look a hell of a lot different. Worst we can be is tied in the division for 1st so just have to nut up and look to the chiefs.

Any word on Floyd.
  • I haven't heard much on Floyd yet, but I hope they don't fine Ryan's. it didn't seem like he was trying to hurt him, but Floyd dropped his head. .
  • I agree with most of your assessment here but even though Vick played well enough to win it's a shame he wasn't a little better...a few inches better on the possible TD to Casey (definitely should have been caught) and the fingertip miss by Jackson and on two more missed opportunities to Jackson on deep balls (and probable TDs) where he overthrew him horribly (granted...he got drilled right after he released the ball) and threw the ball too close to the sideline on the other one. He also badly missed a couple more receivers on their routes on balls that just have to be connected on...that is just one more thing that separates Vick from the big boys. He had a very nice game but had opportunities to be better and with the defense he needed to be.

This defense is pitiful but I think most of us realized it would be this year. Carey Williams came back down to earth and showed us who he is (I truly hope he is better than THAT). I honestly don't get how pro players are grasping jerseys as badly as he and Chung did today...Chung's killed them by keeping a drive going on 3rd down and they put the ball in the endzone. They were absolutely horrendous on 3rd down...not much better on the rest of them. I think they may have only stopped the Chargers without a turnover one time all day...PITIFUL! Hopefully next year will be a heavy dose of playmakers on d that fits what they are trying to do...along with that franchise QB in the draft.

Keeping with the QB topic...did anybody see the report about the Eagles and a trade the Eagles backed out of last year to acquire Kaepernick? Thought they could get Wilson in the draft so they decided not to ship the 2nd round pick to San Fran that they agreed to...DAMN!

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/report-eagles-almost-had-kaepernick-2012
  • I don't see how they can draft a franchise QB and get defensive playmakers. First I would be making a call to buffalo. I wouldn't give up a first, but all other picks would be in play for me. Nate Allen's cover skills were nonexistent today. He made some really delayed decisions on the field today and it cost the Eagles. The Chung play was devastating too, but like 20 stated at least they are tackling this season. With that being the case I expect to see more out of Fletcher Cox. He was MIA today. Kendricks came down to earth today as well.
  • Free agency is still part of the game, Eazy...yes? They also will have to do their homework and draft some talent later than the first. Let's be real, who's going to help you get more wins...a HEALTHY franchise QB or whatever defensive playmaker the Eagles may get in the 1st round next year (I do realize either player is going to be hit or miss)?

Allen's days seem to be over after this year...I think time has run out for him.

Another play that could have given him the win is the missed chance at a fumble recovery on the kickoff...how many Eagles touched the ball before being recovered by the Chargers?
  • Yeah and ironically if Jackson doesn't do something stupid that ball is likely a touchback. Free agency can help this team, and if you are asking me right now does drafting a franchise QB make them better? Well at THIS POINT I don't see how adding another QB to this mix improves the offense. At this point they are scoring over thirty a game and this defense has now put together 6 very bad quarters of football. The defense at this point is in need of talent, and they have a lot of positions to fill.
  • How quickly we forget the injuries along with Vick's trying to do too much when things don't go well. Right now teams don't have answers for the Eagles offense but that may change by the end of the year...we'll see what happens as the season gets deeper.
  • I'm not forgetting Mike's injuries. Heck he's already gotten hurt. I believe between all three quarterbacks I'm content with the situation for now. The defense is clearly on the field a more pressing matter.
  • Nothing more pressing than a franchise QB you can count on.
  • They don't grow on trees, and at this point they
    wont be a top 5 drafting team. Heck this division is so
    bad they could win it!
  • So true, and it's partly the reason why I think he's buying into Kelly. Also why I think he should get at least one more season.
  • There is a very big name CB that will be a potential free agent if he's not tagged or re-upped this offseason by the Bears. If Charles Tillman makes it to free agency, I would highly recommend going after him.
  • Tillman is not the type of player the Eagles usually go after. I think he will be like 33 years old. His age alone gives him a rather large deal. He would be more of a one year fix rather than a solution to the problem.
  • I'm thinking Brandon Browner from Seattle could be another possibility. With all the attention that Richard Sherman gets and rightfully so. He's probably the best corner in the game right now. Browner is a very, very underrated member of this talented Seattle secondary. He's tall, athletic, great cover skills, and a solid tackler, all things that are rare in CBs these days.
  • He's still kind of old, but he does have great size. Personally I wouldn't mind a free agent
    Safety and a corner or two out of the draft. This next draft should be all about defense.
  • The Turds had the three best three cornerbacks in the league and they couldn't put it together. This defense is terrible. They have played two terrible defenses in the first two weeks. Greenbay put up 38 on the deadskins today so don't get over confident about the offense yet. I do see a different Michael Vick though even in his interviews. He's confident, humble and is a leader.
  • Hey romo thats a fair perspective. Thye are hitting so thats a positive. Teams around the league appear to be scoring more. Im not sure thats a fact but rule changes are making this an offensive driven league. If thats the case offenses must play near perfect ball all the time. But in this case, Vick played near perfect ball. They continue to hold him to a different standard. Of course they make no mention of the ball that Foles threw that was uncatchable. Just a point. They lack talent & quality depth but they will never admit that. All you need to do is look at the cap and the 19 million dollars in available money. There are those that will worry about next year and always plan on losing but the fact remains we have a no name defense.
  • Good point Hollywood. I don't see a lot of fans on here at this time. I'm up for work as you probably are too. Please let the li'lfella know that I think he wanted to say I would be QUIET for a week and not QUITE. I'm so sick of correcting him. Are the schools that bad in Delaware?
  • Hey Tony, it looks like they tossed your favorite Barker...Granny Clemente, it's about time.
  • What did spots do to get herself locked up?
  • Probably fro continual rants about Mike Vick. She is a flat out racist.
  • A racist yes, and add Liar to that also. Ding **** the Witch is Dead! ;-)
  • They blocked the word d o n g ?????
  • I've been flagging her for a couple of weeks but I've been keeping it quiet.She went off on GR and myself on a thread the other day with some language that your ordinary sixty year old grandmother would never say. Jeff was obviously watching and gave the queen of mean the axe. Her only purpose on here was to harass people anyways. It's a great day. I will miss her comments when she did try to talk football.

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.