February 27, 2014

The Eagles Extend Kelce.

The Eagles have given their starting center a 6 year extension giving Nick Foles an offensive line that's likely to be together for many years to come barring injury. The Eagles are taking good steps to lock up their guys prior to free agency. Soon Cooper and Maclin will be in the fold as well. Now all that is left would be a free agent safety or two to go along with Demarcus Ware when the Cowboys cut him, because they are so woefully bad at cap management.

16 Comments:
  • Boy times really have changed, haven't they? The Eagles actually extended a player beyond 30 years old in Jason Peters. I'd bet dollars to dinars that never would've happened under Banner. Unlike Banner, Roseman doesn't play chicken with vital members of this team and drive them off towards other teams. I'm really glad to see the Cooper deal is done. He has emerged as a sort of safety blanket for Foles. It's best to keep that chemistry intact. And of course there's the Kelce deal. He really won me over last year. I like how the O-Line is shaping up over the next few years.

We may actually have the best left side in the NFL in Peters, Mathis, and Kelce. Plus Lane Johnson is no slouch either. That said, we might want to start looking into a replacement for Herremans soon.
  • Don't get me wrong, cause I'm happy they made the moves they have. With that being the case I think Roseman is getting a lot of praise, but he's yet to do anything of value yet. Like or hate Banner his teams mad the playoffs, went to 5 NFC Championship games, and had a Super Bowl appearance. I want to see some dividends from Roseman.
  • Its nice to see the Eagles lock up these gusys but we need some help along that dline and safety. We need a big NT and could use veteran safety help. there are a ton of good safties available. honestly Im not impressed with baird. Il like TJ Ward some but what would be wrong with Mickell, bell or Bethea if they are healthy just to name a few?
  • Signing someone like Bethea and then drafting Pryor if he's still around doesn't sound like a half bad idea. That said, if a guy like Dennard or Gilbert is around at #22, that would be very, very tempting. Chances are either of those two will be BPA at that spot.
  • I know we need the defensive help, but if Evans or Benjamin are there at 22 I think they would have a hard time passing up one of those guys. I would like to see the safety position addressed during free agency. If Ward/Byrd are available they should get at least one of them. I wouldn't mind seeing a play for a guy like Terrence Cody. He's been an underachiever, but he could thrive in a rotation with Bennie Logan. The next priority after--- no even before Maclin should be Donnie Jones.
  • Resign:
    Maclin- seriously why wouldn't we? He said he would sign a one year prove it deal and he wants to be here. Hell, I'd give him 3 years if we can get the right price and save money now.

Cooper- (check) he will come back cheaper than people think. Last years incident will be on the minds of teams and players in other cities. Cooper will settle for what he knows.

Benn- camp body who can challenge for last spot then maybe show what he can do.

Allen- he's played a thousand times better. He's no superstar, but his cost will be low and he may still improve

Anderson- great special teamer. Decent when give a shot last year. Could be cut in camp.

Thornton- he's a big boy who can stop the run. We saw vs the saints what happens when u don't stop the run. As much of a passing league it is, stopping the run is still the first thing u need to do.

Donnie mother clucking Jones- it's nice to have a punter u can trust.

Letting go of:
    Vick, Coleman, geathers, Hunt, Chung, avant, Casey, Matthews, maehl, Johnson, smith, igwenagu, kaddu, acho, marsh,
    I'm sure there are more I'm just forgetting them which is all the more reason to cut them. Also, this is BEFORE camp cuts.

Restructure:
    Jason Peters (check)
    DeMeco Ryans
    Jason Kelce (check)

Free agent signings:
    The big name I want is Greg Hardy but he isn't leaving Carolina. So realistically:

Safety, Kendrick Lewis- a young, talented FS with speed and range. He will be a cheaper selection than Byrd or Ward and possibly Clemons, Jenkins, or Mitchell.

WR/KR Brandon Tate- he hasn't done much on the offense throughout his career, but he is a really good return man. He should be relatively cheap since he hasn't done much on offense so far. I do believe he can contribute to Kelly's offense.

NT, Terrence Cody- a bigger body for short yardage. Logan's great most downs but he's too small to play NT in short yardage situations. We can use Logan at NT on anything over 5 yards til first down with no problems. It's anything less that we have to worry. Bring in cody, who should be cheap, use him on short yardage.

QB, Josh Freeman- we need a back up qb and Vick is hell bent on being a starter somewhere. Freeman can win us or keep us in game incase Foles goes down.

OG, Mike Pollak- he's a 28 year old decent guard who could come cheap and push the Toddfather for the starting spot.

Trades:
    Trent cole for a 4th round pick to a team that uses a 4-3 and needs a pass rusher. It would be hard to get but I think someone would do it. That someone in this case is da bears, who need to upgrade their dline this offseason and like veteran line players like peppers and Ratliff. Cole for the 113th pick.

Draft

1st, CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma state- carry Williams sucks. He gives up way to many easy catches. Fletcher has better coverage but still needs to be pushed.

2nd, OLB Kyle Van Noy, BYU- this guys a beast who can play any LB position we have.

3rd, ILB Christian Jones, Florida State- we may have to move up come draft day cause he will be a second rounder but as it stands now he should be there in the third for us

4th, Safety Kenny Ladler, Vanderbilt- his 40 time is going to absolutely kill him. What I liked was hearing Mayock and I think Dion saying they don't care that he runs a slow 40 cause the kid is a ball player.

4th, DE/NT Ed Stinson, Alabama- comes from a winning program, that's always good to have in the locker room. He has good size, 6-3 287, but could bulk up for the DE spot, defiantly to play inside at all. He has long arms, that will help him get off blocks and we can never have too many good lineman.

5th, OG Trai Turner, LSU- good run blocker and in good shape to be put into Kelly's up tempo offense. He's 6-3 310 and ran a 4.9. He also, blocked for one of the better backs this year in Jeremy Hill. He isn't the best pass blocker, but he will have time to learn with Mathis, Herremans, and Pollak ahead of him in this mock.

5th, OT Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt- he had a great combine so his stock may rise, but as of right now he's slated to go around the fourth or fifth round so he very well could slide to the late fifth. He's a perfect fit for chips offense, tall 6-5, lean 290, and can move pretty good.

7th, FB/TE/WR Trey Burton, Florida- the position listing is according to Walterfootball.com. A guy that can play three positions has a role in chips offense. As for everyone who thinks we don't use a a FB I'd like to remind you that that's basically what James Casey was for us. Burton is a little light at 6-3 229 for a fb or TE role but I believe chip will know how to use him.
  • 20 you should have done your own write up on this. More people could respond to it, but I like what you have going on there. I wonder if Van Noy would be there for our pick though.
  • That's not half bad. However, If Van Noy is gone, I would love to snag Trent Murphy if he's still around or his teammate Shane Skov in Round 3. Murphy lead all of Division 1 in sacks. Plus he's 6'6" 270 lbs. He fits the "big people beat up little people" mantra of Chip Kelly like a glove.
  • Was gonna but already have this up on emb and was gonna write something about kelce and cooper coming back but figured f it, if I already have this just copy paste and save time.
  • Terrence Cody? Thats funny. The guy is a big fat waste. That wont help the interior at all. I totally disagree about cary Williams. He provided an edge the eagles have been missing for a while. He might make mistakes but he plays big when it counts and toughens up a otherwise weak secondary.
  • Recently watched some of the games from the season and some of his problems were directly related to no safety help. Chung was a sucker for the play action all season it seemed. I still think they should upgrade, but he's further down the list than safety. I agree Cody has been a letdown, but maybe a change of scenery and a few Chip Kelly smoothies can change him around. I wouldn't give him a lot of money though since he would be in a rotation with Logan.
  • Cody is just what we need. A big man who is hard to push on short yardage. No need for him on first and second down. Third and short fourth and short he's the nt. We have seen Logan can't do it. It wasn't cause of the safeties the saints were able to run up the middle.

Carry Williams isn't a good football player. Sure he's aggressive, but he blows as a cover man and he always has. On the ravens he gave up a passer rating over 90. He's the new Cartland finnagin. All talk no bite.

I brought in a veteran safety in kendrick Lewis, who comes from a good defense. Ward and Byrd might not hit free agency and the rest of the safeties are overrated and cost too much. Bringing in a bunch of new safeties will not allow the defense to gel that's half the reason the dream team sucked ass. Super Bowl teams are built through the draft not free agency.
  • We got smashed up front in the playoffs. The Saints didnt even turn on the vertical game because we couldnt stop anything. We need more physical players in addition to our keepers on D. Im not opposed to getting a bigger faster physical safety because we know Chung stinks and Allen although improving is not much better than serviceable. But Im not convinced a college rookie is the answer. We have all our Chips on the table. Especially on offense. So now, not later, is the time to find a few (3) solid impact veterans to put us in a new class. Twpo safeties and a D lineman plus our 1st two picks in the draft can quickl transform a modest defense into a game changing defense. Time is of the essence.
  • I agree with you. We need to get some legit safety talent. It's not a coincidence we haven't won a playoff game since Dawkins left the Eagles. If the Bills or Browns let those two guy walk then we need to jump in and get at least one of them. This is a team that if they make the right moves now can win now, because the rest of the NFC East is in disarray.
  • The best center in the game--one of the best -- get bigger and stronger,he is a beast--signing of maclin and cooper are outstanding---the desean Jackson thing is a mystery,djax open's his mouth to much,and not let his play do the talking for him. He will be traded,for right price in up coming draft,the eagle can go after a nice wide recver in draft---djax hung his self,"hand down--man down"" get a nice safty vet to pair with wolf on defense and se what happens. Eagle's nice job,front office again roseman and chip Kelly,make a nice team. All ways sign your own player's you draft,stability and growth and add pieces in free agency.
  • I just saw a report that Jarius Byrd is likely to hit the market. Do it Roseman. SIGN HIM.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

Best NFL player at every number

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

Gallery: The best of Hannah Ferguson

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.