November 29, 2012

THE EAGLES NEXT DRAFT.

WHO should the EAGLES draft in the first round? 

If the writing on the wall is correct and Reid is canned, GOD ONLY KNOWS what system the next coach run and thus what he prioritizes. Who he may keep is also up in the air based on those same factors. So from that perspective it's impossible to say what the EAGLES would even need, let alone should draft.

If by some stroke of sanity Reid stays, then the first pick has to be a QB.

Yes, I said QB. Here's why:

1) The youth movement is ON. This means Michael Vick is all but gone, and that puts the team squarely in Nick Foles or Trent Edwards hands. Unless they go get a fill-in, journeyman QB. Which they already have in Trent Edwards so why sign another one. If they're going to add a QB it makes more sense to draft one. 

2) The Front Office needs it. Lurie's coaching move means ZERO without a QB to lead the team, and I get the impression that (now with Foles flopping), Lurie probably isn't interested in more years wandering in the wilderness searching for a QB again. Howie Roseman needs to show he can get THIS decision right, and if Reid stays, it gives him a guy who's been there, done that, and gotten it so right that his pick virtually rewrote the franchise record book. 

3) It's a top 5 pick. When was the last time Reid got his mitts on one of those? Oh yeah, it was 1999, when he drafted Donovan McNabb.

4) Brett Favre.

5) Donovan McNabb.

If they keep Reid they have a guy who's groomed 2 Super Bowl QB's, so it only makes sense to get him the weapon he works best with. Besides they already have 2 RB's, depth at WR and TE. If they commit to the line in the offseason they have enough parts to rally around a more talented rookie QB than the one they're working with now.

Roseman will likely look to grab a QB in round 1 or 2 regardless of whether Reid is here or not. My hunch is if they DID keep him though, it would have to be with an eye towards drafting and developing another top shelf QB.

29 Comments:
  • Get back to Philly football and focus on improving the defense. Cut everyone that's scared to hit and talks more than they perform on the field. We have way too many sensitive ego's on this team. If they're not making big plays or things aren't going their way they shut down. Get rid of everyone who fits this profile. I don't care who it is.

Then draft Manti Teo with our top 3 pick.
  • GENO SMITH!!!!!!!!!!
  • I don't think there is a viable QB candidate where the Eagles will pick which most likely will be somewhere between 2-6. You're right about now knowing what the new coach will be like so there isn't much point to even speculating what type of player they should draft, but I think they should focus on developing the team as a whole. Get a big number one receiver to compliment Jackson. Get a left tackle of the future. Get new starting safeties!
  • I have seen some mock drafts where Reid went in the first round.
  • Reid's gonna be pretty nice but how about that Matt Elam kid from Florida. That cat's been making some plays this year. He's a real ballhawk.
  • sign a vet qb and offensive line help,safty help
  • Whoever they pick wont nearly be as attractive as your pick in the avatar. First rounder without a doubt.
  • This won't be a QB rich draft like it was last year. Guys like Luck and Griffin don't come along too often. And the best QB in the draft will go to the awful Kansas City Chiefs.
  • And with the first pick, the Chiefs take....punter.......
  • I want the Eagles to take one of these 3 players in the first round if they pick in the top 5.

1. Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia.
    He fits best as a 3-4 OLB however the same was said about Von Miller who made the transition to a 4-3 and has been huge for the Broncos. From everything I've read and seen he is a very similar player to Miller and is fast enough, smart enough, and good enough in coverage to play outside in a 4-3. If he is used in a similar capacity to Miller he can be the Blue Chip piece the Eagles can build their D around for the next 10 years.

2. Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame.
    Te'o plays inside in a 4-3 at Notre Dame but is able to play anywhere in the scheme. If he shifts outside he can bump Kendricks to the weakside and Manti can start on the strong side where he is better suited to play than Kendricks. His coverage skills are better and he is much more stout against the run. One of the best things about Manti is that he is a born leader. As we all know the Eagles have been missing that leadership since Dawk went to Denver. Manti is also another great player to build around.

3. Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M
    Joeckel plays LT at A&M but is athletic enough to switch to RT if need be to accomodate Jason Peters. Playing at RT would bump Todd Herremans back to guard where he was better anyway. Joeckel could be an anchor on the line for a long time.

While I agree with Flip that a QB of the future is the most needed thing at this point for the Eagles, I don't see any value at that position. I don't see any QBs coming out that are worthy of a top 5 pick. It would be nice to trade back a couple slots and grab an extra 1st in 2014. If the Eagles were to do that it would be ideal for them to be in a position to take a chance on Matt Barkley a little later.
  • the same was NOT said about von miller. People that said that, didn't know what they were talking about. Some even thought he could switch to DE. In the end, he is playing the perfect position for his skillset.

other then that I agree with like every thought here
  • Herremans can't move back to G now. With his chronic foot problems he can't (so we can't) trust him to plant it flat SHARPLY when he anchors. OT allows him to move more so he can keep that foot in what doctors call flexion, instead of planting and driving. It's more wear and tear on the toes, but it hides any lack of power when he run blocks now, and you can't have that inside.
  • Regardless, even if Herremans is damaged goods, Joeckel would be a long term upgrade.
  • Without Mudd, the scheme will probably change a bit. So small, athletic guys like Kelce and Watkins might not be of as much use. It will be interesting to see how the coaching and team philosophy changes over the offseason.
  • Am I the only one that wants Star Lotulolei?
  • Star is going in the the top 16 I think. I'd trade down (also picking up a 3rd rounder) and grab DANIEL MCCULLERS at 20-21 instead. He's a MASSIVE NT, but I'm thinking if he's put in a 4-3, then that's him double-teamed and Cox with 1-on-1 most of the day.

During the season and even last week vs. TB, QB's could step up because we don't generate enough POWER to collapse a pocket reliably. Our guys maybe fast but they're SMALL. McCullers changes that BIG TIME!
  • Star is going to go in the top 5. And if somehow he slips he won't get past 10. So if the Eagles want him he's basically gotta be their first pick. I just don't see the value for the Eagles.
  • I do. If he falls to them he'd be the best player on the board. He can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. I know it's not their biggest weakness but this guy is someone that they would be foolish to pass on. He's already drawing comparisons to Hiloti Ngata. Him lining up next to Fletcher Cox would be awesome. Best player in the draft in my opinion.
  • It would be pure lunacy to fire Reid, and make Foles the starter LIKELY over the preference of the next HC. Usually these guys want THEIR guy to be their starter, since their coaching longevity is tightly tied to the QB's success.

Reid is a Super Bowl QB developing guru (See: Favre, McNabb), and Foles was admittedly a 3rd round project. Without any true franchise QB's coming out in this years draft, sticking a new HC with a project QB (where QB development may not be the next guys forte), is a recipe for failure. As in LONG TERM failure.

It's worth mentioning, and it bears repeating.
  • "Reid is a Super Bowl QB developing guru (See: Favre, McNabb)",

??how many rings??? ahhhahahaha
  • 1 ring in 3 trips with 2 out of 2 QB's he personally developed.
    Only a child who can't throw a ball 10 yards could be naive enough to find that laughable. If you're a grown man please don't tell me.
  • Does it matter that Bret Favre won the Super Bowl BEFORE ANDY REID WAS HIS QUARTERBACKS COACH???? If it doesn't matter that the guy hasn't had a winning season in 2 seasons (see Ray Rhodes) or the fact that he thought it was a good idea to hire an offensive line coach to be his defensive coordinator the truth that Reid wasn't the one who actually groomed Brett Favre into a champion doesn't matter. To some people it doesn't matter how much the truth will smack them in the face. The fear of losing nothing is too much to overcome.
  • And yet you still respond...

If I can jerk your string this Easy, you can't be that much smarter than me. >:^)
  • Could a new o-line coach with a different blocking scheme possibly be a good thing for Watkins?? Maybe he just couldnt adjust to Mudds scheme
  • I agree
  • So many holes. So many players needed. I want to believe these injured guys will just come back and be the same, but that isn't always the case. Trading down and acquiring more picks may be the better option.
  • Foles is probablly going to be a good QB down the road but right now he needs more time to grow and learn. He is setting players up with suicide passes one which caused a fumble, in other games he has done the same thing as in celek getting his head taken off. I want to see what Edwards can do with the few games we have left.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.