February 24, 2013

The Eagles Should Keep Nnamdi And Move Him To Safety.

I am writing this from my IPad and I'm still trying to figure out how to use this thing so bare with me a little. Hopefully the video populates, but if it doesn't you can just click onto it. The video shows Nnamdi laying a textbook hit onto Cris Cooley, and he ended up breaking Cooley's finger. On the play he instinctively reacted and attacked. In short he looked like a safety. For whatever the reason there are a lot of people who don't think a guy who played safety in college can do it in the pros. I think If there were a player ever suited to transition to safety it would be Nnamdi. First of all Nnamdi has a great build for a safety. He has the size to come up and make plays against the run and he is still fast enough to play coverage on tight ends, safeties, and some receivers. I no longer think Nnamdi is capable of being manned up on the edge against speed receivers despite their size, but Nnamdi could be highly effective at taking some of the better TE's in the league out of play if he were manned up against them. He also has the intelligence to know his assignments as far as knowing when to help the corner over the top unlike Coleman and Allen. There have been several corners in the NFL who have transitioned to safety and some of those guys have been arguable worse tacklers than Nnamdi. In fact prior to coming to Philly Nnamdi was considered a very physical corner. I think the Eagles should move Nnamdi to safety if he's willing to the the pay cut in order to stay. I mean he can't be any worse than the two guys we had back there last season, and right now even Curtis Marsh could be as effective as him at the corner position especially if he had Nnamdi protecting him over the top.

14 Comments:
  • That should work and could pay off in a couple of ways.

First: Moving from CB to FS worked out for guys like Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott and Charles Woodson as well as added years to their careers both in general and as starters.(BTW: All 3 were also Raiders at some point in their careers as well.)

Second: It lets the roster heal itself, and the Eagles don't have to draft a FS (as Asomugha can be the answer at FS for the next 2-4 years) so they can focus on getting a CB in the 2nd or 3rd.

So the roster heals itself, we get a long-term answer, and it actually frees up a pick.

Sounds good.
  • I don't think hes good enough in zones or when the balls in the air. He might be decent at it butif he was so good at it in college why make the change in the pros? Not sure who the raiders had at safety back then but pretty sure they had Charles Woodson at corner. We have all seen how bad he look when trying to play the ball he's tackling has been horrible also, one big hit on cooley doesn't mean anything. What about all the missed easy tackles RBs running through him TEs going through him i don't think it's a good move. Plus it doesn't save a draft pick it just switches an area of need especially if DRC is gone. I wouldn't wanna go into the draft with marsh n Boykins as our starting corners.
  • Whoa now, lol. I never said the RAIDERS switched Charles Woodson to FS, I said he MADE the switch. Same with Lott. He was a FS in San Fran before he was with the Raiders.

And it does save us a pick. One way or the other this team has an eye on Asomugha and an eye on the door. His departure is inevitable. Just look at how backloaded his deal is. Over the next 3 years he's due over 30 million and I think this or next year is the last year the Eagles will see a penalty for releasing him. And he's 30-31? He and his agent knew when they signed the contract that he'd never see a good chunk of that money.

That said, the Eagles will be looking for his replacement sooner rather than later. This lets them pass on Eric Reid, and focus on going OL in the 1st/CB in the 2nd or the other way around.

We don't NEED a DT early in this Draft, so if we decided on Dee Milliner at #4, it wouldn't be the worst idea. (I wouldn't go there, but it wouldn't be horrible if they did)
  • Why did you switch your id back? I think that Nnamdi is knowledgable enough of football to be capable to play the cover zones of a safety. I think that as a tackler Nanmadi can improve in the area. He was one of the better tackling corners in his time in Oakland. Besides there have been other guys who have been moved from corner to safety who weren't know as the best of tacklers. Troy Vincent comes to mind. We don't need Nnamdi to be a big hitter we just need him to make smart decisions, be a leader, help line up the young guys in the secondary correctly, and take guys like Jason Witten out of games. The other safety could be used for that. Finally I think you can actually strengthen the secondary as a whole by moving a veteran like Nnamdi out to safety. At corner his responsibilities were limited to one side of the football. His knowledge of the game isn't the problem. His skill set is. Against bigger and speedy receivers he is overmatched, but he can shut down most tight ends and running backs. He can see the field better as a whole in the middle of the field. Right now I would say a combination of Curtis Marsh at corner and Nnamdi at safety is at least 5 times better than Nnamdi at corner and Nate Allen at safety.
  • i never said the raiders switched him. i just mean im pretty sure woodson was at corner at the time they drafted safety/corner asomo. so if asomo was so good at safety(what ez is saying he can do) why didnt the raiders use asomo as a safety instead of putting asomo n woodson at corner? ur the raiders fan who did they have at safety back then? was it anyone good? i say it doesnt save us a pick cause redoing asomo's deal n keeping him at his, what i assume to be, better position corner we wont need to draft/sign two corners. i want asomo n DRC back with better safety play. even with asomo switching to safety, and playing good, its still alot of money to pay him, so the redoing of his deal is the should have to happen to keep him anyway. why keep him at a cheaper price and move his position to something the raiders, who i assume had bad safety play when he was their i know they had decent play when he was leaving but idk about when he got there, didnt think he was good enough for? doesnt make sense to me, plus ive seen him try to play the ball in the air n his poor tackling.

as for the draft i think we could keep asomo at corner with drc back, not draft one til later. maybe with the pick we get in the foles trade im positive is complete just not said. we can get oline first even if we go safety in the second. pass on reid draft tj mcdonald, matt elam(dont like him but ive been wrong before). dont want a safety in the second go xhavier rhodes CB draft tony jefferson in the later rounds. we have countless possibilities for the draft cause all of our needs r deep.

EZ we will just have to agree to disagree on him as a safety. i dont think he has the skills to play n even when he was in oakland i dont know why people thought his tackling was so great. he was never woodson or winfield. mayock i think pointed it out when we signed him that he was very overrated as a tackler.

i forgot to log into this account n out of the one they gave me on my ipod. i was looking for my own comment n couldnt find it under this name. i thought they removed the account on me again.
  • I said that last year. And I am with Flip on this . They cant lay all the blame on this guy and DRC. If you let DRC walk you have to make up that talent somewhere. Corey williams free agent from ravens? Or you find talent at another position that covers for your loss of talent at CB. But losing both is abig mistake and a horrible sign. I kind of feel like llove him or hate him Nhamdi has earned the right to stay an Eagle.
  • I don't know if Nnamdi has earned the right to stay an Eagle. He certainly was one of the guys who quit last year and was finally benched in a very public way against the Giants. I think Nnamdi can't be any worse at safety than he was at corner. I think like flip mentioned he could prolong his career by moving to safety. He's got to be willing to take the payout and to make the move.
  • 20dawk I wouldn't move Boykins to the outside. I would keep him in the slot. There is still some options at the other corner via free agency, but I think they still will need to draft another safety and a corner.
  • I just read that the Eagles have interest in Sean Smith but probably wouldn't want to get in a bidding war for him. If they don't want to get involved in a bidding war I hope they have a plan B. We'll see where that leads come March 12th. I wouldn't be thrilled with the Eagles moving Asomugha to safety (same reasons as 20dawk...he struggled finding the ball in the past two years and his tackling has been PITIFUL) but I wouldn't be too bothered if they gave it a shot as long as they addressed the strong safety spot. Let Nate Allen and Asomugha battle for the position and see if they can push each other if they can't address the spot in free agency or the draft. This would be something they would have addressed during their discussion with his agent at the Combine if they have any thoughts of doing this. I doubt it happens...the Eagles and Asomugha would have to be willing to make this move and Asomugha would have to decide staying is his best option. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to just put Philadelphia behind him but of course how much Philly offered or offers him in his restructured deal will be a big part of that.
  • i think they should offer no more than vick. give him a nice base of 7million. i belive he's at 14? give him the rest in incentives. say with 3 picks he gets 2 million. doesnt give up more than 3 TDs 4 million. idk its easy to throw out numbers when it isnt my money but something they can figure out
  • If I was the Eagles I wouldn't make all his contract doable with incentives but maybe that's just me. They need that room off their cap and he has underplayed his contract horribly. 15-16 million is way too much for a player that has been a significant part of this Eagles culture on the field in the last two years. Bad coverage, missed tackles and quarterbacks continue to challenge him and he comes up way too small. Great players hide weaknesses on a team...Asomugha's play amplified them.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Only way this works is if the move to safety makes him play with heart again.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Harvey Updyke pie toss canceled over death threats

10 bold predictions for the 2014 college football season

Eight fantasy picks who will suck if you draft them

Ranking all 54 NFL primetime games

50 Cent's funny challenge to Floyd Mayweather

Cheerleaders of the AP Top 25

'Johnny Clipboard' shirt is perfect

Colts GM calls out Trent Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.