September 05, 2013

The Eagles Should Look Into Byrd.

With the Eagles having so many problems especially defensively at this time I think it's time for the Eagles to consider trying something they haven't done very often and that's to attempt to trade for another NFL player during the season. Certainly they shouldn't overpay to get him, but they certainly should make an inquiry about him. With that being the case what is overpaying for a safety who has had 18 interceptions, and 10 force fumbles in 4 seasons? In case you all didn't know in that same span the Eagles safeties Macho Harris, Sean Jones, Kurt Coleman, Nate Allen, and Quintin Mikell have only 16 interceptions and three forced fumbles. Considering most of us on this site wanted the Eagles to either draft a rookie safety with their second round pick or trade back into the first round to get one, then would trading away a second for a pro bowl safety in his prime really be that bad of an idea? Lets not forget some of the woeful draft choices the Eagles have mad in the past as well. In fact the poor drafts of the past are why the Eagles are where they are to begin with. If the Eagles really are acting like they are trying to win this year then they need to be doing everything possible to try and do so. I get Byrd is hurt right now, but when he's ready to play he would make this defense better. Roseman needs to at least make a phone call.

17 Comments:
  • Just so it's clear. Those numbers by theses safeties are their numbers combined!
  • I think the Eagles are happy with what they have (Wolff might be the long term answer). Plus I'm sure the Bills would want at LEAST a 1st round draft pick in exchange. We have bigger issues at OLB than Safety.
  • I would agree, but there isn't an outside linebacker available, and they have a lot of money put in Trent Cole. The safety issue is still there, and the Eagles should at least call and check the value. I wouldn't give up a first for him, but I would be willing to part with a second and maybe something else. The Eagles do have issues at safety, and really haven't done much since they let Dawkins go. In many ways they have had more problems without an all-pro safety than without a linebacker.
  • I'm with you on this on Latin. While I agree that this defense has issues all across the board and both safety positions are among them, I don't think it would be worth it to give up a first round pick for it. However, if the asking price is anything other than a first then go ahead and consider it.
  • His injury worries me.
  • I get that, but it also could be how we could get him on the cheap. The Oregon connection could allow us to sign him to a favorable deal long term as well. It's a foot injury, but he's shown last season he's willing to play though it for the right deal. Obviously he won't do that now since the Bills franchised him. Better for the Eagles if he doesn't play until he's healthy.
  • He might never be healthy and playing through injuries only lasts so long. I rather we get a guy from the draft who is home grown. We all know we need help, but a player from the outside with a lingering injury may not be the answer. I'd do it for no more than a third and maybe throw in a 6th.
  • Maybe he won't be fully healthy again, although I think with rest he hold be able to play eventually. He's simply not going to do that while he's franchised. It all seems like more of a play. After all who can truly know how much pain he's under? It's not like a fracture when people can see what's wrong. With that being the case if they can get him for a third and a sixth then do it! He would immediatly trump the last five third round picks of the Eagles. My point is if nothin else the Eagles should at least call to find out what the Bills asking price is.
  • They can look but I'm sure he would cost at least next years first and they can't afford to give that up for a safety no matter how talented he may be. Besides that the Eagles are right up against the salary cap when you take away the carry over money. A safety that may cost them 8-9 million a year may be too much of a luxury right now.
  • The Bills would be off their rockers if they think anyone would give them a 1st for a guy who's injured. The Eagles would likely be drafting in the top ten at least so I know they wouldn't do it either. Even with as good as Bryd is nobody is giving up a 1 for him. I thought Byrd's cap number right now is closer to 7 mil?
  • Sorry, Eazy...accidentally flagged you. His cap may be closer to 7 but if he gets traded it would be because of his desire for a bigger deal. The last time the Bills made a deal with the Eagles the Eagles gave up a first and a 4th for a pro tackle and gave him that big deal he was looking for.
  • He was a left tackle. That and quarterback are two of the higher end positions in football. Considering we gave all that money to Nnamdi who just plays one side of the ball and how being cheap with BDawk cost us overall defensively I wouldn't mind seeing them spend some money building up our defense. He and Chung together would make this defense better overall.
  • It looks like the Eagles have 19 million in cap room. Am I worng? Up against the cap? http://www.eaglescap.com/current.html
  • Can you read are are you purposely being ignorant? The Eagles are close to the cap and only have that 19 million because of the carry over from last year. They use it all this year they will be making huge cuts next year to get below the cap. Exactly what they want to do in Kelly's second year!!!...NOT!
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • With reports out on the Bills being open to make a trade I think it would be less likely the Eagles jump in the fray as the Bills are looking to drive up the price. Still the truth is they need to upgrade the position. Nate Allen is awful and is killing us every week.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Meet the 2014-15 Oregon cheerleaders

Pelini: Marijuana use is ‘out of control’

Highlights from Eli Manning's AMA

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

HR legend tries to hit 186 MPH fastball

M's player goes after scout following taunt

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Tony Stewart to race again on Sunday

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.