July 29, 2013

The Eagles To Retire Number 5

In two moves that seemed to take longer than it need to happen, McNabb plans to retire an Eagle, and the Eagles plan to retire his number. No one will ever wear the number 5 for the Eagles ever again as it should be. It's a shame it took as long as it did for these two parties to come together, but now that it's happened perhaps there can be a reconciliation process as it was when BDawk came back. All in all I give credit to Jeff Lurie and the Eagles organization for working hard to bring back old Eagles back to the fold. For sometime they nest has been missing some of the old birds. This practice was very prevalent under the former tight pursed owner Norman Brahman who never spent more on the team than he had to. As such there weren't any type of events that brought the old guys back to the nest and he haggled every player on the roster (except maybe Randall) on every cent he could. His cheapness is the reason we have free agency today. Regardless, the fact 5 is back in the nest and the hard feels seem to have been healed is a good thing.

32 Comments:
  • I'm glad they cheered him at training camp. Hopefully they do the same on September 19th when his number is officially retired. Whether you liked him or you didn't, there is no denying Donnie Mac was the greatest QB to ever put on this uniform. Truth be told, even today I would take him over Vick. There are times where I wish our fanbase was a little nicer. I'm not just talking Eagles fans either, I'm talking about Philly in general. I mean come on, booing Mike Schmidt? What's up with that? He was only the greatest third baseman of all time.
  • The booing incident that especially scarred an already questionable reputation for the Eagles organization was not even a case of booing. It was when the fans at the Vet cheered while Michael Irvin lay motionless on the field, possibly paralyzed. The absolute worst thing a fan base can do is to cheer when an opposing player is lying injured on the field. I don't like the Eagles, but I would never cheer if one of yours got hurt. It's a shame about Macklin by the way. But I have always felt that the Irvin incident dropped some seriously Bad Karma on the Eagles organization.
  • Wrong I believe shooting an individual outside the stadium is pretty awful. Also how about the Chiefs fans ACTUALLY CHEERING FOR THEIR OWN QUARTERBACK GOING DOWN WITH A CONCUSSION! Your comments just show how stuck in the stupidity you are. Don't let Skip Bayless and his lack of research abilities cloud your judgment.
  • All those things you say are also horrible, but I wasn't talking about anything except the Michael Irvin incident, was there something you couldn't grasp in that statement? As far as Skip Bayless is concerned, my name for him is Skip Clueless.... He's a moron!!!
  • Yes the Michael Irvin incident isn't "the worst thing a fan base can do" as I've shown you two things other fans have done that are worse or are you too slow on the uptake to realize that?
  • Looks like EazyEagleZ has just proven that he uses multiple ID's which makes him a complete phony and a fraud...I could care less but just look at his comment as EazyEagleZ. Yet it was the avatar name of EasyEagles that mentioned the shooting incident and the Chiefs fans....Then EazyEagleZ responds with this...(Yes the Michael Irvin incident isn't "the worst thing a fan base can do" as I've shown you two things other fans have done that are worse or are you too slow on the uptake to realize that?)
    OOPS!!! Better be more careful next time you phony. ;-)
  • The fact you just realized I use both IDs just makes you the slowest midgets fan alive. I understand though. You all aren't very smart to begin with.
  • So I guess you also think I hang on everything a clown like you has to say, not hardly. But I guess you need more than one ID, why I have no idea, it's actually a bit creepy.
  • Hold that thought and give it back to me when I actually care about what you think.
  • I don't expect or want you to care about what I think, just go on with what you do because I find you incredibly amusing, thanks for all the laughs. You have a great day, whoever you happen to be today. BAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • It's a shame that McNabb always seemed to be somewhat fake. I think the reason for
    that is when he actually spoke he said flaky things like his black on black comment about TO,
    and his present knack for ripping every QB who gets paid. I think people were really annoyed
    with all the smiling. His smile was as annoying as Reid's "do a better job" speech.
  • It's amazing he actually had as much success as he did considering how inaccurate he
    would become at times. That smile and that "my bad" tap on his chest used to be so annoying.
  • Super5 carried us for a decade. Few quarterbacks have done more with less. This is another great accomplishment to his HOF career.
  • There were moments where he won games pretty much by himself. There's only one other active QB I can name that has repeatedly done more with less. I think we all know who it is.
  • I would agree that for the majority of McNabb's career he was forced to play with sub par wide receivers, but it's not like he didn't play with any offensive talent. Duece, BWest, Buck, and Chad Lewis were not bums. They all were very talented players.
  • Good. I think it took so long cause dmac was praying for a team touch him up. Dawk more left on his own terms from the league. Dmac was kinda forced out. I wasn't sure about dmac's number getting retired but its good. I'm a huge dmac fan, but it just doesn't have the same feeling dawkins number does. Dmac didn't show that passion we all love.
  • Yeah 5 just never gave love true love to the fans, and honestly he never forgave them for what happened. Thirty guys ruined for the rest of the fan base with him. Still this could be good for bringing him back more often and rebuilding the relationship.
  • Battling injuries because of the way he put his body on the line says a lot about his passion. Not to mention dealing with negativity from some of the media and the fan base. Still there was never a question that he wanted to be an Eagle for his entire career and win a Super Bowl. I doubt Mcnabb would of left like Bdawk did if there was any chance to remain with the team.
  • I don't think that is true. If McNabb had received an offer that he found as insulting as what the Eagles offered Dawkins he would have bolted as well and nobody would have blamed him for it especially if another team offered him more money. Even McNabb understood what was happening in Philly, how they treated their veterans, and eventually even his time would come too.
  • More revisionist history. Braman had nothing to do with free agency. The player union had everything to do with it. It was threatened for years and it just so happened the Eagle players were leading it. Stop trying to ruckus up that Lurie somehow is a big spender. The only ones that spoent were the taxpayers and the ticketholders and Luries mommy. And there goes ruckus EZ again talking about Duce, Bwestbrook like they were superstars. McNabb had nothing. Say it EZ. He had garbage and thats all Lurie provided him with.
  • I'm the one with revisionist history? Aren't you the same bozo who just wrote the Ravens are number one in most power polls? LMAO There isn't a guy on this site who makes up more crap than you. Your protecting of Norman Brahman is almost sickening if I didn't know that you only write here to get rise out of people and not to bring anything of substance.
  • But you act like it was Braman against the players. It was the league against the players. Braman wasnt even calling the shots. You are a revisionist. Why are you even acting like you had Mcnabbs back. you should be ashamed to post on anything that celebrates his career. you are a piece of garbage to act like somehow you are respected when it comes to mcnabb. everyone knows the hate you spewed and the love you had for Kevin. can i call him Kevin?
  • Brahman was for collecting his dough. It's all he cared about. He never put a penny in the Vet, that's why those military kids almost died. The place was a rat infested cesspool, while Brahman spent his days in France. But I get why you love Brahman so much, from one bad businessman to another you have to stick together.
  • Lurie is collecting ten times as much dough andconsistently has tons of cap space. Always have to have some cap space for a rainy day. F-in joke. Most teams with a new stadium have a lombardi but not philly. Lurie just holding back enough to make it virtually impossible.
  • What success was had under Brahman? They never even won a playoff game under him and his cheap mentality. You whine for the sake of whining all the time. It's kind of sad what you've become. Do yourself a favor and just stop pretending to be an Eagles fan.
  • I dont care about money. are you being racist again. are you making reference to my religion?
  • Dude the fact you took Spots comment there shows more about you and how you think and less about her. You just can't help yourself from reaching new lows.

• I maked movies.
    Please watch it!
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The most overrated NFL players

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.