December 30, 2012

The Eagles Wont Put All Their CHIP(S) In The Kelly Basket.

There is going to be several names of coaches who are going to get the opportunity to replace Andy Reid. As fans we tend to jump to conclusions especially when we want to show how smart we are, but the reality is there will be a lot of coaches  who are going to be looked at to get this job. Chip Kelly is a name, but he isn't the only one. The best thing the Eagles could do was to quickly make a move on the Reid decision (not that it was a difficult decision to make) so now they can focus on bringing in a head coaching candidate. Here are some names of guys who the Eagles may consider to be Andy Reid's replacements. I have placed the names I like in bold.

[Bruce Arians, Colts offensive coordinator/interim head coach
Arians, who was the Steelers’ OC from 2007-2011, is largely credited with grooming Ben Roethlisberger into an elite quarterback and evolving the Steelers’ passing attack without softening the franchise’s smash-mouth image. He further his reputation this season as No. 1 pick quarterback Andrew Luck helped the Colts go from two wins to a playoff contender. With 21 years of NFL coaching experience, Arians, 60, is well connected and probably wouldn’t have problems assembling an experienced staff.

Bill O’Brien, Penn State University head coach
It would take a king’s ransom -- more than $9 million -- to buy him out of his current contract, but he could be worth every penny. O’Brien, 43, brought the progressive, two-tight end offense he architected as the New England Patriots’ offensive coordinator to Penn State and turned quarterback Matt McGloin from an inaccurate, weak-armed former walk-on into the school’s all-time leader in single-season completions, attempts and yards -- in just one year. He won Big Ten Coach of the Year and guided Penn State to an 8-4 record despite losing a handful of starters to transfer. He's said he's staying in Happy Valley, but never say never.

Vic Fangio, 49ers defensive coordinator
Fangio, an Eastern Pa. (Dunmore) native who went to college at East Stroudsburg, has made six different stops in more than 25 years of NFL coaching. Since becoming the Niners’ DC two years ago, the 53-year-old Fangio has presided over two top-five defenses that played with a blue-collar edge reminiscent of the Buddy Ryan era. Fangio is also known as straight-shooter who doesn’t mince words.

Jay Gruden, Bengals offensive coordinator
The “other” Gruden’s work with Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, a 2011 second-round pick who took Cincy to the playoffs in his first year and completed over 60 percent of his passes in Year 2, has stamped him as a hot coaching commodity. Gruden, 45, spent seven years as an assistant on his older brother’s staff in Tampa and was on the 2001 Super Bowl-winning staff. He also served as head coach of the Orlando Predators of the Arena League and went to four league championship games, winning two.

Jon Gruden, ESPN analyst
It’s a long shot but until he’s officially ruled out the former Super Bowl champion coach has to be mentioned. Gruden, 49, was the Eagles’ OC under Ray Rhodes from 1995-97, a job that served as the launching point to his career. in 1998 he became the head coach of the Raiders, who lost to Baltimore in the AFC Championship game in Gruden’s fourth year. After a unique trade that sent him to Tampa Bay, Gruden coached the Bucs to a Super Bowl win in his first season but also had three losing seasons and two 9-7 seasons afterward before being fired after the 2008 season. He has provided color commentary for ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” since 2009.

Ray Horton, Cardinals defensive coordinator
Since the start of 2011, when Horton became DC, the Cards have been a defensive powerhouse. Their D this past season had the highest-ranked third-down percentage and second-ranked red zone rankings after finishing in the top five in 2011. The 52-year-old Horton’s coaching roots are in Pittsburgh, where he served under two Super Bowl champion head coaches in Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin.

Chip Kelly, University of Oregon head coach
The catchiest candidate from the college ranks is also the biggest enigma. Oregon has emerged as a national powerhouse under Kelly, 49, an offensive mastermind who many have called a visionary. The Ducks are 84-7 under Kelly and have made a BCS bowl game in each of his four seasons as head coach. His spread offenses are built around speed, pace and maximization of space.

Dirk Koetter, Falcons offensive coordinator
The Falcons were known as soft and vanilla -- especially on offense -- until Koetter, 53, came over from Jacksonville and took control of Atlanta’s offense. In his first season, Koetter has opened up the Falcons’ offense and led Atlanta to top-five rankings in completion percentage, passing touchdowns, completion percentage and yards per attempt. Koetter helped start the uprise of Boise State, which went 26-10 and won consecutive bowls with Koetter as head coach from 2001-2006.

Steve Marriucci, NFL Network analyst
Word is that “Mooch” wants to get back into coaching after several years of doing TV. Mariucci had four seasons of double-digit wins as head coach of the 49ers from 1997-2002 and won two division titles before he flamed out in Detroit. Marriucci’s 72-67 overall record is impressive. Like Reid, Marriucci is a proponent of the West Coast offense and has roots in the Bill Walsh/Mike Holmgren tree.

Ben McAdoo, Packers quarterbacks coach
It worked out the first time Lurie hired a QBs coach from Green Bay with no prior head coaching or coordinator experience, so why not try again? McAdoo, 35, is a rising young assistant who spent his first six seasons working with Packers tight ends -- including Jermichael Finley and Donald Lee -- before being promoted to QBs coach this past season. In 1999, Packers tight ends combined for 99 receptions and 1,048 yards, franchise records for the position. Finley is the franchise’s only tight end to ever have consecutive 55-catch seasons.

Mike McCoy, Broncos offensive coordinator
The guy helped Tim Tebow go two rounds deep into the playoffs. Just for that, McCoy should be considered for the job. McCoy, 40, is another young, rising head coach represented by super agent Bob Lamonte, who reps Andy Reid, Howie Roseman and a dozen other coaches and executives with ties to either Reid or the Eagles. After spending nine seasons in Carolina working his way up the offensive coaching chain under John Fox, McCoy joined Fox in Denver and has helped two vastly different quarterbacks propel the Broncos to AFC West titles. McCoy helped redesign Denver’s offense on the fly in 2011 to a read-option scheme that catered to Tebow’s strengths and this year coached Peyton Manning back into an elite after the four-time league MVP had missed all of last season to recover from neck surgery. Manning is the third different quarterback to pass for 3,000 yards under McCoy’s guidance, joining Jake Delhomme and Kyle Orton.

Greg Roman, 49ers offensive coordinator
A Jersey Shore native (Ventnor) who attended Holy Spirit, Roman, 39, has come into his own on the West Coast. After serving as Jim Harbaugh’s top offensive assistant at Stanford, where Andrew Luck blossomed into the NFL’s most coveted prospect, Roman followed Harbaugh to the 49ers and has already helped two quarterbacks come into their own in two years. In 2011, Alex Smith went from first-round bust to leading San Francisco to 13 wins and helping the Niners post three top-10 offensive rankings. They also set a franchise record for fewest turnovers. This season, Colin Kaepernick took over for Smith in late November and provided another spark for the Niners’ offense.

Kyle Shanahan, Redskins offensive coordinator
The son of ’Skins head coach Mike Shanahan, Kyle’s stock soared this past season as the Redskins adapted their offense to fit the versatility of RG3 and resurrected the storied franchise into playoff contention after years of turmoil. The ’Skins placed top-five in scoring and total offensive yards. They also won games with two different rookies starting at quarterback. Shanahan, 33, would probably run the same zone blocking scheme that his dad made famous in Denver and took to the nation’s capital. The Eagles currently have the offensive line personnel to fit that scheme.

Mike Zimmer, Bengals defensive coordinator
The Bengals have placed top-10 defensively in three of Zimmer’s five years. Zimmer, 56 and a former NFL Assistant Coach of the Year, is a veteran with 13 consecutive seasons as a coordinator going back to his days with Dallas and Atlanta. In those 13 seasons, Zimmer’s defenses have  placed top-10 in total yards five times, including the top-ranked unit in 2003. The Bengals had the fifth-most sacks last year and just finished with the most.]

I think many of these guys will get consideration, but there are other candidates who could be on the list as well. I just think people need to calm down and not assume the Eagles have made a decision on their next guy yet. It will all depend on the guy who comes in and blows them away like Reid did 14 years ago.

18 Comments:
  • My dream candidate would be Arians. With everything that happened surrounding Chuck Pagano and his illness, Arians pretty much was the head coach in Indy and he was so good he might get Coach of the Year honors. He also has an outstanding body of work dating back to his days in Pittsburgh. Did anyone else see how lost Big Ben looked at times without him? The downside is that he's older, 60 to be exact. Plus we're not sure he'd leave or if he wants a head coaching gig.

My other favorite would be Mike McCoy from Denver. Last year this guy was able to build a functional offense around Tim Tebow. That's right. Tim Tebow! He's clearly capable of tailoring his scheme to his personnel. On the flip side, people might say that when you have Peyton Manning, he's pretty much a coach on the field. Peyton's greatness is such that he could make any coach or player look amazing.
  • The Eagles and Chip Kelly keep coming up, but that's is a reason why I doubt it's really true. They never really let you know what they are doing. Interesting thing about O'Brien is I don't think his name will ever be this hot again. Penn State is going to be down for a while. It's a miracle he did as well as he did with that team so maybe there is a chance they can lure him away.
  • After Washburn came Babin was pretty much a no brainier, but even still consider how that all went down. It was a shock the Eagles went with Juan as their DC. It was shocking they pulled Mudd out of retirement. I don't think anyone saw any of that playing out the way it did then. Like you wrote in hindsight it sucked, but you have to admit you were surprised with how that all came to pass.
  • Chip Kelly with no NFL experience is the riskiest candidate. It would take a special person to be able to jump from Eugene, Or to Philly and be successful.
  • I still doubt Kelly is the prime target here. I mean time will tell, but I think the Eagles are going to talk to a lot of people before making their decision.
  • Reports are now the Eagles have interviewed Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly for their head coaching job. People may not like what the Eagles are doing, but I believe they are going about this the right way. They aren't rushing this process and they are leaving few stones unturned.
  • You know I like Dungy even though he isnt in the job pool but the more I see from his process the more Im getting concerned the Eagles are looking for "Luries guy". To keep everything and everyone honest I think if Cowher is putting himself out there we need to make asignificant play for his services. I hate watching his mouth but the guy is a great game day coach and stright forward. He will steam role Roseman and the Eagles will get results. There wont beanymore Lurie funny business.
  • I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong (not that I even know what a Lurie guy is), but I don't think you should get too concerned with this process. I would rather they take their time with it than go out of their way to get one guy like Chip Kelly. Even if they get "Luries guy", he has to win in Philly or people aren't going to like it.
  • They need a Gruden or Cowher if they want excitement back in Philly. Lurie used his capital up and like ive said over and over he has lost his credibility to the fans, media, players and city. If he wants our attention hes going to have to pay to get it. No more "we trust the front office" routine in Philly.
  • Listening to Ike Reese today, and he said the Eagles won't go that route, because that would conflict with their GM Roseman. They don't want power struggles and they think a guy like that would be a problem. That's stupid I know, but that seems to be what they are doing.
  • Look the whole executive staff is gone. It place s Roseman in a tough spot to be the last vestage of an old regime. I agree it goes contrary to conventional wisdom but these hard times require hard choices. Is it business as usual or are we gonna get someone that has real goals in mind and can clearly project them to the fans. Anything short of that is gonna be a tough sell to a skeptical fanbase. Lurie created this mess and I dont think anyone wants a yes man to Roseman and Lurie. No pattsy.
  • I am just taking a wait and see on all of this. I'm just glad they did not choose the other guy Chip Kelly.
  • I'm looking forward to Gus Bradley or Bruce Arians to take the helm.

I think if we want an old skool tough defense (I prefer it actually) we go with Bradley. He sounds like an animated guy who is fiery and can get a team motivated. I think our defense will change for the better as we go through a defensive overhaul with players that fit his scheme. BIG/PHYSICAL cornerbacks and safeties that will knock your head off. We would return to the Jim Johnson style of defense.

Bruce Arians feels more like a "game manager" who will work with the talent that's already in place. I don't see very many drastic changes in personnel etc But think he will maximize the potential of the team. It would be interesting if he would stick with the 4-3 or move to a 3-4 type of defense. Either way he would be a solid choice moving forward.
  • Looks like great minds think alike. Those are my top two as well Latin. This is why I couldn't help but be irritated at last night's news that the Eagles are now looking at Brian Kelly. The search should end there with Arians or Bradley. Once again it feels like they're trying to show how smart they are.

All that's going to happen should they hire Brian Kelly or someone like him is that they'll have egg on their face ONCE AGAIN.

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.