July 11, 2013

THE NICK FOLES PROBLEM.

YOU take a 3rd round rookie QB, and put him under the tutelage of guy who likes developing QB's. The result: 1-5.

You take that same guy a year later and put him in a new system with a guy who not only doesn't develop QB's, but will also seem to require a skill the second year QB doesn't possess in order to make the new system work. The result is too early to tell, but my guess is it ends with the word 'scapegoat'.

Despite all the blather that Chip Kelly DOES NOT need a mobile QB for his system, his own history is calling him a flat out liar. Simple facts: In the last 4 years (53 games) Oregon STARTING QB's have 376 rushing attempts. That's an average of 7.0 carries per game! 

Let me put those 4 years in perspective by using the NFL's last 4 years:

Tom Brady's last 64 starts- 126 carries  (1.9 per game)

Drew Brees last 63 start- 76 carries (1.2 per game)

Not exactly runners right? Okay, let's look at guys known for legging it.

Aaron Rodger's last 62 starts- 236 carries (3.8 per game)

Cam Newton 32 starts- 253 carries (7.9 per game)

Michael Vick 35 starts- 238 carries (6.8 per game)

This is a FACT, under Kelly, Oregon QB's ran the ball MORE than Michael Vick did since he became the starter here. In 3 of the last 4 years only Oregon's STARTING RB had more carries than the QB. In 2 of those years the QB was the teams second leading rusher. These aren't "scrambles" we're talking about, these are carries. And THIS is what we're to believe Nick Foles will be asked to do EFFECTIVELY.

If I were dumb enough to buy that I'd be dead already. I'd have drowned pouring myself a glass of water. NOBODY is that stupid. 

Still, that's not to say that Foles won't get the starting nod. He very well may. But if he stumbles out there, before you boo the guy, just remember that he didn't jump to the wolves, he was thrown.

Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Tony Stewart to race again on Sunday

Fantasy stars who'll bounce back in 2014

WWE interested in Ronda Rousey?

NFL records that are poised to be broken in 2014

College football's all-name team

USC player calls coach racist, then quits the team

NFL has new policy for domestic violence suspensions

WATCH: Manziel in Snickers ad

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.