June 22, 2013

THE RAIDERS DEFENSE RESTS.

ALTHOUGH I have my questions and concerns about the front seven, I'm convinced that the Defense is going to be decidedly better this year. The reason for my optimism is two-fold: The Secondary and the scheme.

What I like about the Scheme, is the simplicity of what it asks from the players up front.

1)     Stay in your gap.

2)     Finish the down unblocked.

It’s basic, assignment based football. It’s everyone knowing where everyone else should be. It will be rife with errors in the early going, as trust under live fire has to be earned; but over time players will become expert in their area, and in their game. In short, the scheme doesn’t ask too much,  so it won’t encourage over-extension and freelancing. That aspect alone is enough to make it solid.

The Secondary, now has more talent and more experience than it has had in the last three years; as our pass defense drove straight off a cliff the day we lost Nnamdi Asomugha. (Numbers will support me on this BTW.) Smarter, faster guys with game changing backgrounds, give us a more of a chance than we’ve had in a few years to help the front generate pressure.

If we stop getting gashed by the run, we can keep games from getting away from us. Actually, last year’s finish (18th) was the first time since 2002 that we didn’t finish 22nd  - 32nd  in rushing yards allowed. (Yes, I’m aware it’s only 4 spots out of 22nd .) My point is we were already heading that way BEFORE we re-oriented the DT’s purpose from pass rush to gap control. Playing better defense will get the Defense off the field quicker, and leave more gas in their tank for late pushes in what should be a LOT of close games, (due to our offensive style of pounding the ball to wear out opposing defenses).

In 2010 we had a top 10 offense with Jason Campbell at QB and DMac running behind a power blocking scheme. We went 8-8 but were 6-0 in our division.  Going back to a beat ‘em up offense that burns clock, should keep defenders better rested to play better defense, in a simpler scheme better suited to better players.

I like our chances.

2 Comments:
  • Congradulations to the Calgary Flames and the Miami Heat for winning their respective team Championships. Good luck next time lefty. It seems Adam Aaron will be out as Sixers CEO. Speaking of basketball I was watching a replay of the 2003 NBA draft, and after T.J. Ford got picked the fans actually chanted "OVER RATED" very loudly! Here more than a decade later people are ripping Eagles fans for booing McNabb(which was really the fans booing Andy Reid), but nothing for calling a young kid over rated? How disrespectful to that kid was that? If they were Philly fans we would never hear the end of it. Like the lame booing of Santa before I was even born.
  • SOMEbody should be getting canned for the mess the Sixers have become! How is it TWO DAYS before the Draft and we STILL DON'T HAVE A HEAD COACH?!!

Luckily my other team (the Bulls) gives me something to watch during basketball season.

Like the Bulls, the Raiders seem to be building their team concept around playing tough Defense and grinding out wins. Gotta say it's been a while since I was THIS juiced for the Silver and Black.

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

Brittney Palmer redefines sexy

12 college football coaches who are on the rise

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

2013 NFL rookies who could breakout in 2014

Grading college basketball's first-year coaches

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.