March 27, 2013

THE ULTIMATE WEAPON

RANDALL Cunningham turning 50 is front page news on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154103/article/randall-cunningham-at-50-reflections-on-career-dualthreat-qbs

The impact that Randall had on the QB position is finally getting it's due. I mean there were QB's who ran/scrambled well before he did, (Fran Tarkenton, is the "Yeah but" name I used to hear as a teen.); Randall was a WEAPON. He was lethal in an offensive system that lacked an identity, or an O-line, or a real running game to support him. 

Just imagine what he could have been with a coach who cared.

Once upon a time only WE had a Randall. Now everyone wants one. 

14 Comments:
  • I remember thinking how we as Philly fans were spoiled when watching Cunningham play and knowing someday we would miss him. His struggles towards the end of his career in Philly made it a little easier but there are plenty of days I wonder what if Ryan would have built an offense around him. Happy Birthday, Randall!
  • My first favorite athlete as kid. He belongs in the HOF.
  • i agree that he was the first of his breed of qb, he was great, fun to watch, and all that... but his stat sheet and accomplishments don't really scream HOF.
  • His numbers are comparable to Troy Aikman's. the only thing he lacks are the rings. With that being the case when dealing with Brinkster ALWAYS remember there is an ulterior motive. If Cunningham gets in than his boy McNabb would be a shoe it. It all comes back to McNabb with him.
  • yea i was gonna say if cunningham gets in the mcnabb would have to too. I'm not saying they weren't good football player or they didn't accomplish anything just that their resumes are lacking.
  • I'd vote for both of them because I'm an Eagles fan and loved watching them play.
  • I think McNabb would get into the HOF before Cunningham. He surpassed just about any and everything Cunningham ever did here.

Looking at it through the lens of history, If 4 Conference Championships, 1 Super Bowl, and every meaningful record for a franchise DON'T qualify a QB for the Hall, then there are a LOT of enshrined QB's who don't deserve to be there (Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Y.A. Tittle, Sonny Jurgensen, Sammy Baugh, and Sid Luckman just to name a few).
  • A lot of those guys are either high on some all time lists or hold/have held some records in the nfl, not just their team. Fout's is 9th on the all time passing list. McNabb's stat sheet can't touch Marino's. Kelly is the only QB in nfl history to lead a team to 4 consecutive superbowls. Moon was a 9 time pro bowler (3 more then mcnabb) and a 3 time all pro (mcnabb has zero). Tittle was the first qb to throw for 30 tds in back to back seasons. Jurgensen was a 5 time passing yard champion. Baugh is tied with Steve Young for most passing yard champions at 6. Luckman led the league in TD passes three times not to mention he has the record for most TD passes in a single game.

McNabb was the nfc offensive player of the year, nfc player of the year and and nfc champion all in 2004, and he made the pro bowl 6 times. Again i'm not saying he was a bad player but his stat sheet is lacking when it comes to the hall of fame.
  • We can do the numbers thing back and forth forever. Fouts never got to a Super Bowl. Marino was an 8-10 playoff QB to McNabb's 9-7. Kelly lost all 4 of those Super Bowls he went to. (This fanbase crucifies McNabb for losing the only one he went to. If he'd lost 4 straight you wouldn't be using the losses as a marker of his greatness like you're doing for Kelly. Be fair.) Moon was great but he was also 3-7 in the postseason.

Luckman and Baugh's passing accomplishments are stilted due to the fact that they played for coaches who actually used the pass. Many coaches didn't trust the forward pass so many QB/P/HB's of the era didn't get as many chances to compete on a level playing field. Not to mention that both men were turnover MACHINES on a level that makes Michael Vick look downright stingy!

For all of Jurgensen's numbers, he was 69-73-7 as a starter. Most athletes will tell you the most important stat is the win. McNabb for the record is 98-62-1 (Because yes you CAN tie.)

Fact is there's more to it than stats alone. (Otherwise it wouldn't have taken until 1998 to FINALLY vote in Paul Krause. That was a travesty and a mockery of the game for the sake of politics and personal grudges!) HOF voters consider the greatness of the athlete IN THE MOMENT. And ALL of these QB's were great by that standard.

Today's NFL.com article on Randall just took me back to a time when fans here made it seem (Monday-Saturday) like he did nothing right, only to ohhh and ahhh on Sundays. It seemed sad that he would never get his just desserts. Seeing that article today (yesterday now) helped to make my day. If he can't get it HERE, at least NFL has stood up to recognize him. He is vindicated and validated.

And now I look forward to the day when Don will get his too.
  • You're focusing more on what those guys didnt do compared to what they did. they arent in there for their post season records. McNabb is about even with Kelly on the all time passing yards and tds but what I was pointing out was all of those other guys have more then that to stand on they have records and accomplishments. Marino held the all time passing yards record. No Kelly didn't win a superbowl but he went to four consecutive which never happened and still hasn't. I'm not saying that he won't get in or Cunningham won't get in, but compared to the guys you mentioned neither has that extra thing that can go next to their name. McNabb was for one season the NFC player of the year and offensive player of the year, other then that and pro bowls he has no record or personally achievement. Thats what the hall of fame is about. If I got into the NFL this year and threw for 700 yards and 10 tds in the first game and then broke my leg and never played again i'd get in because i did something no one had ever done before which is what sets players apart when they are brought up for discussion about getting into the HOF.
  • I wonder if Archie Manning can get in as a Contributor...
  • haha maybe he can get in for being the first nfl qb to father two superbowl winning qbs
  • That's what I mean. For that matter, his wife should get in too!

Imagine that. He's going to be the father of TWO HOFers.

Maybe he should market that stuff as hair cream. I bet you athletes would buy it! They could call it "MANNING UP!"
  • He was the original pistol qb--read option guy--one of an kind!!
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.