July 09, 2013

THE WISDOM OF ALL THESE BUYOUTS AND SUCH.

FORTY-SIX million dollars.

That is how much money the Raiders are paying players no longer on the roster in 2013. It's roughly 40% of our 2013 salary cap. 

And it's by design.

GM Reggie McKenzie has concentrated YEARS of bad contracts into ONE season of fiscal suffering, so that next year the Raiders will enjoy SIXTY-NINE million in caps space in 2014.

SIXTY-NINE MILLION.

That's about a NINETY million dollar turn around IN ONE YEAR! That is unprecedented. That is HISTORIC. And the only thing that has to happen for you to see it, is another 300 or so sunrises and sunsets. It's already done.

Here's a quote:

"I cannot recall there ever being a team with that kind of cap money available to them. Fans are going to be drooling at the free agent possibilities with that kind of money to spend. Don't get your hopes up too high. There is no way the team goes on a spending spree for outside free agents. That is not Reggie McKenzie's style." Now here's the link: http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2013/4/6/4191688/oakland-raiders-take-major-dead-money-now-for-major-cap-space-in-2014

It's also been said by ESPN that that number will likely change http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/56946/oakland-healing-process-begins-in-earnest-in-2014 but you get the jist. 

In the meantime as this article says the Raiders have to assemble a $78M team that can compete with $123M teams. At worse we get early Draft picks next year, with a ton of cash to spend, and a changed team culture. At best we get a ton of cash next year, and a middle round pick (or later) from a roster that now thinks it can win even when over-matched. 

As ESPN also said:

"This nasty process has depleted Oakland’s roster. The healing begins next year, when Oakland won't be motivated by pure financial necessity and can start making prudent decisions to build the franchise the right way."

Sometimes a hole is just a hole. Other times you dig a hole to put in the foundation. 

9 Comments:
  • Ur f'ed in the A this year but u better hope anyone that likes to do it the al Davis way is out or ull be right back in the same boat with overrated bums like tommy Kelly. Ur best bet is to lose draft a qb and build through the draft.
  • I don't like the "tank the season" strategy because it assumes that next year you'll have everybody else back, and players (especially rookies and guys who were new FA's) have learned that you'll accept them doing less than their best.

As far as people who want it done the AL DAVIS way, I doubt that is an issue. With Amy Trask leaving, there are no more of AL's soldiers left, since the only two were HE and Amy. Mark and Reggie are biting the bullet this year, so they can work unfettered starting next year.

Me, ESPN, the NFL Network, and F.O. personnel around the league, EVERYONE can see (and is saying that) it is not about W's in 2013, it's about setting up for down the road.

A winning attitude, should be part of that foundation.

And what harm is there in winning if we do? If we're winning then the QB problem is apparently not a problem.
  • I don't mean for the players or coaches to try to lose but the best bet for the team is to suck this year and be able to grow from here through the draft and use the cap space wisely
  • According to many even if we do try, we're going to suck. I just want them to play as if THEY have expectations.

If we post 10 wins or better and see the playoffs, then that's the point, right? No need to suck. Just add through the Draft as you suggest.

If we end up 8-8, 9-7 and no playoff berth it's a early-middle round pick. Maybe trade our first rounder (depending on who's on the board) and our fourth for a second in 2014 and a first rounder in 2015.

7-9, 6-10 Maybe try to move up a few spots to get into the top 10 (if we're not already there), and as you suggest: Add through the Draft.

5 wins or less, do what we did this year, move down, add picks, and as you suggest: Add through the Draft.

We don't have to suck to add through the Draft. Reggie McKenzie proved that when he was in GB. It's what I keep saying about the Eagles. We were good and got better under Reid. If Kelly can make this team into a winner this year, there's no reason he should tank to draft a guy who may not even be able to play at the NFL level.
  • http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2013

If you look at the estimated cap numbers for next season you will find the Raiders are spending nearly 30 million less than the next closest NFL team while still having only 7 mil of free cap space. This wreaks of a team that has done a terrible job of evaluating talent and making trades. When a team trades away a quarterback who threw for over 4000 yards and replaces him with a guy who couldn't beat out a rookie middle round draft pick it doesn't mark the beginning of a dynasty, rather it's clear this team doesn't have a clue of what they are doing. If they do know what they are doing then it's clear it's their plan to tank the season. The Raiders simply lack the talent to win in their division. All three teams in their division are better. That includes the Chiefs who have better coaching and more overall talent. On top of that they have to play against the NFC East. The same NFC East you can't stop telling us is the best in football. Now you have a team playing with nearly 60 million less than the rest of their peers, with a questionable coach, and no real stars, playing against teams with more talent and more money, yet you expect them to win 10 games!?! Clearly you aren't paying any attention to your team. If you would you would see they are in effect tanking the season. We all are talking about tanking the season, but your Raiders are ACTIVELY DOING SO.
  • I never said I EXPECT 10 wins.

As far as the rest of your blather:

I am paying RAPT attention to my Raiders. It's you who aren't, which is why you don't know what you're talking about. Take a look at the FA's we signed. Almost ALL of them are guys who are trying for a shot at redemption, or to prove they deserve the big money. Seems weird that a team trying to tank would absolutely load up on people who are looking to (should they fail) go down swinging.

You don't load up on fighters, to lay down. You don't switch to a punch-you-in-the-mouth style, to lay down. But then having not played and stood over MULTIPLE opponents, you wouldn't know anything about that. Real men don't quit.
  • Your Raiders keep getting talked about, because some idiot introduced all these lies about how great they are. I'm just exposing the truth about these bums. As far as laying down goes that is precisely what the Raiders are doing. They have a squad of nobodies and you think they are going to win something? If you do then you are as dumb as you look? Finally once again you misunderstood the message (quite typical of you) I never wrote anything about laying down. What I wrote was now is the time to find out if Foles or Barkley can play, because we all know we can't win with Vick. You know it to, but you were too puss to answer the question. You want to see laying down look no further than what your bum Raiders will do all season. You want me to stop telling the truth about your Raiders then LAY DOWN and put this garbage where it belongs.
  • Real men don't quit.
  • Tell that to the Raiders as they have quit on this season even before it began. Everyone knows that, but you. Of course the Spurs quit on a season several seasons ago and lucked into Tim Duncan. Now multiple championships later they would call you a friggin idiot.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Breaking down the NL MVP race

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.