June 14, 2013

THERE ARE NO MOLEHILLS.

RECENTLY I was accused of making mountains out of molehills. This prompted me to ask:

Which molehill am I making a mountain out of? 

Is it the player discipline, molehill? 
Or is it the players being played out of position, molehill? 
Or is it the having to slow down practice due to the poor/late teaching curve, molehill? 
Or is it the 3 installations of the Defensive scheme during OTA's, molehill? 
Or is it the Connor Barwin saying he already figured out how to stop Chip Kelly's vaunted offensive system, molehill? 
Or is it the team's top QB, WR, and RB, showing less than full confidence in the current coach molehill? 

I'm sorry, to which molehill were you referring? 

As none of these are issues from last year, I thought is was a good place to begin a discussion of the CURRENT coaching regime.

Half the time I mention Kelly on here, the response is "Reid, dot dot dot" . If you want to talk Reid, fine. Make it a separate discussion. I'm all about the now and the future. I post about the now and the future. I want to discuss where we're going, not where we've been. But between us and the 'New World' are some serious problems that have been dismissed by some as "molehills".

The reality is all those "molehills" aren't molehills at all, they're leaks. They're leaks in a ship that seems to be taking on water by the bucket right now. And until we plug those leaks, we can forget about sailing this ship to the New World. 

14 Comments:
  • Two concerns and one of them (Peters) is nothing to be overly concerned about. The rest is just molehills. What teams haven't had some kind of QB controversy surrounding them? Not a big deal at all when looking at the QBs on this team. Evan Mathis taking a picture of himself urinating on an IRS building (he claims he didn't actually pee on it)? Immature, absolutely...world stopping...NO! Cary Williams not showing up to VOLUNTARY OTAs? Bothersome, sure but let's see who doesn't show up to next years before we get too worked up about it. It isn't just that flip. You want to ignore the fact you wouldn't be blowing these situations up if this were Reid coaching and there is proof...you never did it before. Eazy pointed out that with some SERIOUS situations coming out of training camp last year you had the Eagles set up as a Mortal Lock to win the division...this year you give a rookie head coach no leeway for mistakes at all. You also have exaggerated some of the situations you discuss and definitely are trying to make them seem as bad as possible. Just tonight you typed "another arrest this year" when in fact there has been one ARREST of Eagle players and you also tried making it seem like Jackson was angling for a trade when nothing was ever reported on that at all. Spin it, flip. Do what you do on here most nights anymore. Tell us this is your stance and it isn't going to change.

Those leaks in the ship can be easily fixed when that ship is still being built and hasn't even been launched yet. You're calling for the captain to go down with the ship when it hasn't even set sail yet.
  • Regardless, I've said what I've said.

(I'll respond to the last bit, since you didn't ramble there.) I'm not calling for him to go down with the ship (if by this you mean be fired). I fully expect Lurie to give him at least 3 years regardless of how he does in 2013 and 2014.
  • It was just a return play on your words. I didn't mean you are calling for him to be fired. No doubt though that 4 months in you give him no chance at all to be successful. Hoping you are about as right as your predictions when discussing the Eagles needs or picks leading up to the draft (although you did have a good one in Russell Wilson last year...shame Seattle struck first or that the Eagles didn't use the Curry pick on him), on Reid getting fired this year, McNabb getting traded in 2009, Herremans moving back to guard this year and I'm hoping that I can add another when Earl Wolff shows us what he can do (and of course your Mortal lock that we all questioned).
  • You keep a running tally of when a fan is right and wrong about what he thinks a team may do? Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

So I guess you have no opinion on the defense having to be installed 3 times in 3 weeks.
  • Good memory when it comes to some trivial things, flip. a few story makers on here that love to pat themselves on the back and I don't mind reminding them that they just may not be as knowledgeable as they claim.

How many times do you need to be reminded that this is Kelly's first year, Billy Davis' first year? There is nothing wrong with trying something over and over and changing it up if things don't seem right...especially in the coaching staffs first year working with pros that mostly have never run the type of system they are installing. Just more of you expecting perfection in a year that will not even be close to that.
  • Barwin didn't say they "changed it up". He said "We installed the defense. Then we installed it again. Then we installed it again."

"IT" signifies a SINGULAR subject or object. "AGAIN" signifies REPETITION. You cannot repeat something if you "changed it up".

Installed IT AGAIN. Those are Connor Barwin's words, not mine.

Good sign having to do it three times? Barwin didn't seem to think so.
  • Even better then, flip. They kept working on the defense but I would guess if they installed it again it was because something wasn't right and they wanted to improve it...where's the issue with that in a new regime's first year? The problem is you.
  • I'M the problem? I'M the reason they had to install the Defense THREE times? LOL!
  • Now, now. I know you didn't think I meant that. When you look at something and just about all you find are problems you need to take a look at yourself because you are the problem. The issue isn't with the Eagles (listen to the radio, read what the media has to type...plenty of it IS good and MOST fans are excited about the change) it's with what you expect in year one of a new coach's regime.
  • Chip Kelly and his coaching staff chose to use OTAs as a teaching tool. Well find out if it works. One thing is for sure it can't be any worse than Dennis Allen's first season with the Raiders. He was awful and so was his team.
  • It's going to be better this year because flip, Allen and McKenzie said so. Damn the guides and the media who may not believe, the odds makers and every Raider fan that may still be a doubter...Raider Nation. Damn, lost myself in the moment.
  • EZ:

Sure it can be worse than Coach's first year.

The Chiefs only won 2 games last year. A couple years ago the Lions became the FIRST team to 0-16. If Kelly wins fewer than 4 games it WOULD be worse than Coach's first year.
  • But you had a baby when I wrote 7-9 would be an improvement. So then if Chip ties Reid would you give him a break?
  • Give him a break? I'm just a fan! Even if Kelly goes 0-16 I will still root for the Eagles to win until he either quits, retires, or is fired. He doesn't NEED a break.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.