January 02, 2014

Three Players I wouldn't Mind Seeing In Eagle Green Next Season.

Last off season the Eagles met their free agent needs by adding quantity and it worked. Many of the Eagles free agent players are key contributors to the roster. Even Casey has been a special teams player and a huge blocker for the running game. Now that the Eagles are a playoff team I think it's time the Eagles address some of their needs via the quality route. Here are three players the Eagles could or should consider. All three would likely cost big money, but all could be major contributors to taking this team to the next level. Eric Decker: He's Riley Cooper's size with better career production and is a major scoring threat. He's posted double digit touchdowns that past two seasons and 31 for his career. The Eagles will likely try to resign both Cooper and Maclin, but both of these players come at a risk. Is Cooper a one hit playing for my contract wonder? Is Maclin injury prone, and does his smaller size fit this offense? In Decker the Eagles would have a guy already used to playing in a fast paced offense. Signing him could keep the Eagles from having to deal with the headaches of Cooper and Maclin. With Denver likely needing to resign DRC to a long term contract (and considering its a bigger need for them), combined with the fact they already have major dollars invested in their offense Decker likely would be available. Brian Orakpo: I like him for two reasons. First signing him would hurt the Porksins, and signing him gives the Eagles a legit 3-4 linebacker capable of doing everything needed from one. He and Trent Cole could rotate in and out keeping Cole fresh. Orakpo is a 10 sack guy who is in his prime. With the loss of Fletcher the Skins may look to keep Orakpo in the fold; however, the priority of the Skins right now is to keep their Franchise QB happy and healthy. The skins are also in a heap of turmoil after firing their coach. In that turmoil perhaps the Eagles could sneak in and get their man. Jairus Byrd: would fill a need at safety for the Eagles who sorely need one. After watching Chung blow play after play I think it's clear the Eagles need to address this position not on the cheap, but with some real talent. Byrd would fit the Bill. The only team in New York has said they wished to resign him, but at this point that bridge could be too broken to be mended. Byrd will get interest from several teams, but maybe the Eagles can get a Chip Kelly discount. The Eagles young to middle aged core could fit Byrd. Here he would finally be playing for a team on the rise rather than stuck in winter AFC East purgatory. This one just seems too much of a fit not to happen.

21 Comments:
  • Any or all the these players would be great but the fact of the matter is that with the rising costs of so many contracts (McCoy, Jackson...just to name two) and with the possibility of having to extend Foles sometime next year if they choose to go that route it may be next to impossible to even sign one of these players. As I have typed to Hollywood the Eagles are actually right next to the cap's edge this year but only have 20 million to use due to carry over. If they use that carry over money they give themselves a one year window to win before having to trim the fat by cutting players just because they make too much. Not something the Eagles want to do in any year let alone Kelly's 3rd, I'm sure.
  • Maybe they could pull at least one. There are some contracts that are coming off the books like Vick. They would have to give a healthy boost to Cooper, Maclin, or both. Peters will be off the books soon, as well as Herremans. I think the Eagles must address the offensive line in the draft BTW. Celek will be off the books as well. I think there are a lot of guys making money like Graham who is getting his first round contract or Trent Cole who within the next few years are going to be off the books. Not sure how much Avant makes or when his deal is up, but he's another guy who could possibly be shed. I think the Eagles could bring in two or three guys with some creative financing. There are plenty of teams who are in far worse shape than the Eagles regarding the cap, but I will admit that I didn't look into their cap number, because I don't know how much money these guys could make. Take Orakpo for example. I mean he's a solid player, but I can't see any team giving him top 5 at his position money. He's good, but not that good. The same for Decker. He has so much talent around him that he could be a product of his teammates. Byrd of the three I most certainly think the Eagles should try and get. If they could only get one due to cap issues then I hope it's him.
  • My choices would be Jerry Jones Jason Garrett and Monte Kiffin having these 3 on any team combined with a QB who hadn't thrown a meaningful pass in over 2 years until Sunday night and came within a late int. of winning the east shows what this team could be if the mention 3 was some place else.
  • Don't see many Super Bowl Champions spending big money on free agents. I'd like to see us get one player, like Orakpo, then focus on getting better through the draft. Especially at Safety.
  • Well the Broncos paid up and got Manning. The same with the Saints for Brees. You're right it isn't common to build via free agency, and that's why I'm only thinking a few guys. Few, but impact players. I don't think we would pull all three, but I think they would help. I agree with you on the draft, but I think we have some important areas to draft like for our older offensive line. It seems like we can't get it right in the draft regarding safety though. We could also use a you future replacement for Ryan's. He's only like 29, but he seems like he's losing a step.
  • I want the superbowl. Talking next year and future is loser talk. Hey GTD why dont you write the pro football how to "tank" guide. LMFAO
  • I really shouldn't bother explaining what I'm going to explain here but I'll try to see if some of it can seep through. We as fans can discuss free agency and the draft any time of the year with absolutely no affect on this week's game. We aren't gearing up, we aren't game planning...we're just a bunch of fans discussing all aspects of our favorite football team...we can discuss the draft in week one of the pre season and that will in no way change the outcome of a playoff game...do you understand that? Now, onto your tanking comments. No matter what you and your two buddies throw out there not once did I ever imply that I thought the Philadelphia Eagles should purposely lose football games. What I typed was that they should start Foles and let him have the season and if that meant losing I was fine with that because that would allow them to get a better draft pick. If you haven't paid attention the guy I wanted to see start is winning so the the losing is now moot but if you want to discuss it we can. We can discuss how you still feel that Vick (the guy who quarterbacked this team to a .500 record over the course of three years after a very nice start) should still be getting snaps over Foles who just keeps winning while taking care of the ball. You want Vick as the starter after he helped the Eagles to a 12-20 two year run filled with turnovers and you really want to question someone else's thoughts in the beginning of a season? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it at all as long as you keep it real (you never do) but honestly buddy...take a look at your own comments if you really what to get a good laugh.

Update: January 02, 2014
    I really shouldn't bother explaining what I'm going to explain here but I'll try to see if some of it can seep through. We as fans can discuss free agency and the draft any time of the year with absolutely no affect on this week's game. We aren't gearing up, we aren't game planning...we're just a bunch of fans discussing all aspects of our favorite football team...we can discuss the draft in week one of the pre season and that will in no way change the outcome of a playoff game...do you understand that? Now, onto your tanking comments. No matter what you and your two buddies throw out there not once did I ever imply that I thought the Philadelphia Eagles should purposely lose football games. What I typed was that they should start Foles and let him have the season and if that meant losing I was fine with that because that would allow them to get a better draft pick. If you haven't paid attention the guy I wanted to see start is winning so the the losing is now moot but if you want to discuss it we can. We can discuss how you still feel that Vick (the guy who quarterbacked this team to a .500 record over the course of three years after a very nice start) should still be getting snaps over Foles who just keeps winning while taking care of the ball. You want Vick as the starter after he helped the Eagles to a 12-20 two year run filled with turnovers and you really want to question someone else's thoughts in the beginning of a season? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it at all as long as you keep it real (you never do) but honestly buddy...take a look at your own comments if you really what to get a good laugh.
  • We don't want to spend too much in Free Agency. Definitely build through the draft. That said, the player I'm hoping to have a chance at is Byrd. I feel of all things, our secondary probably could use the most improvement. He would be a significant upgrade at either safety position. As for the draft, I feel we should target a 3-4 pass rusher or a corner. The guys for a hybrid 3-4 LB I like are Vic Beasley of Clemson, Kyle Van Noy of BYU, or Trent Murphy from Stanford. For CBs, I'm hoping Jason Verrett falls to us. I would ideally prefer Ifo Ekrpe-Olomu, but he's likely headed back to Oregon for one more year like his QB.
  • No
    No
    And no.

• Okay any reason why?
  • Cooper is still gonna find it tough to get a contract let alone a big one outside of philly cause of his offseason bs. Maclin is the type of guy chip recruited to Oregon. Plus he will come cheaper cause of the injury. Decker is going to get a huge deal somewhere and we don't need to blow money on one guy when we can have two for possibly less.

Orakpo can't cover and that's what we are missing more than a pass rusher. Like gg said above kyle van noy would be a better option.

Byrd has a nagging injury and is holding out for a big contract. We all seen how that works.

If we were going to give a player a huge deal I would rather it be greg hardy. He can play any dline position and is determined to win not just get paid. Another de possibility would be lamarr Houston out of Oakland. If we want to steal a lb from a divisional rival I'd rather it be jon beason and allow kendricks to move outside. For safety I'd rather target tj ward or major wright. There are several good corners to target. Walter Thurmond alterraun verner or Sam shields would be a huge upgrade over Cary Williams or fletcher. Personally I'd try to replace Williams. In case we lose colt anderson, I'd target Taylor mays for special teams and help at lb on 3rd and long.
  • I see where you're coming from, but I don't think we need to target another DE. I think our line is one of the teams stronger points. Could we upgrade from a guy like Geathers sure, but we have a lot of young talent on the line. Byrd had the nagging injury, sat out, ( I'm betting he would have played if he were paid) and still made the Pro Bowl. I still believe this team needs more pass rush. They don't get there with just 4 frequently enough. Again we don't know how Cooper and Maclin will likely turn out. Maclin has never played in this offense, and Cooper was in his contract season.
  • All those guys are pretty solid suggestions EZ. That said, I think there's two more that are being overlooked. The first is Alterraun Verner from the Titans. This guy quietly had a very good season. So good that he was voted 2nd team All-Pro. He'd be a great addition to the secondary. My second is TJ Ward. Another former Oregon Duck. This poor guy is wasting away in NFL purgatory, no scratch that, NFL hell in Cleveland. He along with Joe Thomas and Joe Haden are all players any NFL team would welcome with open arms. He may hit the market too, and unless he's franchised, he's going to be looking to get far away from Cleveland. Let's oblige him.
  • The Browns are too talented to be this bad. I like Ward. Is Haden a free agent, cause I would love to see him in Eagle green. I wouldn't mind to see one or two difference makers via free agency.
  • Haden isn't but there is another guy I like outside Verner for a CB. Brent Grimes. Teams were hesitant to take him because of his Achilles injury, but he's bounced right back. He's an All-Pro as well. My primary target, however, would have to be Byrd if he gets to hit the open market. The guy will likely command a lot of money, but then again he is one of the best in the game. To tell the truth though, I think Ward is more likely to hit the open market than Byrd.
  • Either way the Eagles need a legit safety, and both would suffice. I would be shocked to see Byrd stay in Buffalo. There is nothing there worth staying for. I see the Eagles and I see their major problems as Safety, Pass rush, Coverage, and an older offensive line. I feel Safety is an absolute priority. We can't have Allen and Chung be the guys. Cole has been decent, but we need a guy capable of making instant pressure on a consistent basis. The coverage has been up and down, but I think Fletcher has been a solid starter for us. He got hurt a few games and that's hurt us, but when you look at the numbers yes the Eagles have given up a lot of yards, but in the grand scheme of everything, haven't been killed by receivers like they were in the first part of the season. Now what happens is Chung generally blows the play or some TE or RB gets a ton of catches. I hate the scheme though. I think we play off receivers far too often regardless of down. Even if we got a guy like Grimes (who I wanted last season) I don't think much changes.
  • Ez food for thought YUM YUM...

Anyone with any Intellect?
    January 7, 2014

When you look for something great as in a great Coach, Athlete, or Lets say a new Car, etc etc etc and did I say etc?
    You look for the best and I am sorry to Mr "I dont like college ball"
    Lets say when Chip kelly was still at Oregon and you were an Owner in the NFL looking for a Coach?
    Wouldnt you look at the stats or profile of this coach?
    lets look again shall we?

Chip Kelly

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Awards[edit]
    •2009 Pac-10 Coach of the Year
    •2010 Pac-10 Coach of the Year
    •2010 Associated Press Coach of the Year
    •2010 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year
    •2010 Walter Camp Coach of the Year
    •2010 Sporting News Coach of the Year
    •2010 AFCA Coach of the Year
    •Plus from 2009 to 2012 a record of 46-7?
    •and his record in the first year, and I might ad, no experience in the NFL?
    •10-6?
    •look pal this known at least as I know it SPORTS win some lose some.
    •I also think a young kid named Riley could teach some a lesson when he said 'Its just a Game?"

• He could be adding NFL coach if the year too.
  • You know EZ
    I really don't understand why all my blogs are GONE?
    this sort of crap reminds of a blog site I wont mention but I was kicked off that site why?
    because I made sense and they couldn't handle it?
  • IDK why either, but it happens occasionally around here.
  • Eagle need a good safty man----free agency or draft---someone strong and come up in run support!!!period,not get run over,and another olb !!!

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.