February 02, 2013

Too early to talk draft?

I know the superbowl hasnt even started. I know the coaching staff hasn't been officially announced. Major roster issues haven't been addressed, and free agency is still months away but for the fun of it lets get the discussion going.

19 Comments:
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I feel a draft in here???
    oops the window was open.....
  • The NFL combine will be when the movers and shakers really start solidifying the top of the draft in mocks anyway (free agency will also help by elimating need). Many mocks had Reid drafting Smith early on but I'm seeing Joeckel going to KC in more and more mocks. Whatever way the Eagles go it seems they will not only get a solid player it could be one of need also. Joeckel would be a great move that would help solidy the line (as long as Peters, Kelce and Herremans are healthy) by allowing Herremans to move back to guard...Star Lotulelei would give them either a great partner for Cox if they stay in a 4-3 but more importantly would give them their nose tackle if they switch to a 3-4. Damontre Moore, Bjeorn Werner or Jarvis Jones would give them a starter at outside linebacker in a 3-4 (worried about Jones' neck but he has played since his injury so it may end up being nothing and I saw a rumor that he is expected to slide) and cornerback Dee Millner (seems to be getting more popular in the mocks as the Eagles pick) would address a position that we all thought was solid but struggled mightily these past two years. I'm a little worried that Millner could be a reach at 4 (I've read that no cornerback in this years draft is as good as the top couple in last years crop) but like I stated, the combine (and pro days) should help sort where these players are rated at least by showing teams (and us) their physical skills. I think one that may disappoint is Geno Smith if he slides to 4 and the Eagles draft him. Although it could be a solid pick and would seem to feel their biggest need Smith just may not be worth the 4th pick in ths year's draft if you believe everything you read. That could change depending on how he runs and throws at the combine. He certainly had an impressive career and seems to have the skill set that Kelly is looking for. It will definitely be an interesting year.
  • Smith has a lot of question marks about him and seems to have shot up in mock drafts because he's a qb and likely the best in this years class. I don't know if I would say he's worth a 4th round pick (like you said the combine will shed more light on that) but the eagles need a QB (among other things) so at #4 do you pull the trigger and take him if he's there or go with what we've got?
  • I'll be interested to see how he runs mainly and if he runs well he probably won't slide too much if he slides at all. Seems to be the way of the NFL and why would that change in this draft with the success of Griffin III and Kaepernick? If Kelly drafts him at 4 I guess we would all know who the quarterback of the future was pretty quickly.
  • Hopefully Chip pulls a Reid with his first career draft pick!!!
  • I hope so too, but admittedly Reid had it easier than Kelly. Back then Reid had to pick between franchise QB's. And there was even Ricky Williams if he decided to go in that direction. I was glad he didn't because I thought Duce was getting it done, but we needed a QB. Watching all those douchebags boo Reid's first pick is an experience that I hope we don't have to repeat.
  • I wouldnt mind seeing Flip get his big DT in this draft. But if Geno is available he needs seious consideration. I watched film of him and his TD/Int ration is excellent. The film show a QB with excellent pocket movement and a QB that can run buit looks to pass first. Hes another Mcnabb type QB.
  • So if smith is gone you think they should grab a DT. you don't think that our D-line is pretty well stacked as it is. I understand the desire to get a true nose tackle if we switch to 3-4 but even if we do aren't there more pressing needs on that side of the ball like linebackers and safeties? If smith isnt the future qb we need or is already gone I'd think that the lbs, dbs, and o-line are the places that need the most help.
  • I hope we dont switch to a 3-4. I think we will need soem secondary help and possibly a LB but you have to remember our secondary in allen and coleman are still maturing. we might have to stay with some guys that have underperformed for another season. we have to have solid drafts. and smart FA choices.
  • there's no safety right now work taking with the #4 pick so id rather seem them draft a CB or LB if they are gonna go the defensive route via the draft
  • we have to bring pressure up the middle one way or another or the best corner in the world wont help you
  • agreed and two seasons ago we had that type of pressure but failed in coverage. our o-line is actually the strongest part of our defense at this point. we need to look at where we are weakest points are otherwise we'll keep running into the same issues. yes pressure up the middle is needed but so is coverage down field
  • The pundits SAY there's no Safety worth taking that high, but it makes more sense to draft need first, even if it's a reach. There aren't many quality Safeties in the Draft at all supposedly. Better to be sure and get your man.

I'd rather see the Eagles reach and take a guy who was supposed to go later in the 1st, than have them wait, see a scarcity developing, then have to take a guy early in the 2nd who should have gone in the 3rd or 4th.

That's how Jaiquawn Jarrett happened. We knew he couldn't cover and STILL we took him in the 2nd. Panic makes even smart teams do dumb things.
  • I think drafting the best guy around what you need is the way to go not reaching and drafting just for a need. meaning if we need a cb, lb, and s and theres a cb whos worth a top 10 pick and a s whos worth a late first round pick then you should go with the guy whos worth the pick. when you reach is when you have draft busts.
  • I really need to shut that window??? its really drafty in here now!!!
    lol
  • Never too early to talk draft. Here are the top 5 players (*with NFL comparisons) for the Eagles regardless of Free Agency/Defensive Scheme etc

1. OT Luke Joeckel (*Ryan Clady)
    2. DT Star Lotulelei (*Haloti Ngata)
    3. OT Eric Fisher (*Joe Thomas)
    4. DB Dee Milliner (*Carlos Rogers)
    5. DE/LB Damontre Moore (*Aldon Smith)

Depending on the combine/pro day etc. Here are some players who might work their way into the top 5

LB Jarvis Jones (must overcome medical red flags), but our best option if we switch to a 3-4 and want an edge rusher (a la Broncos Von Miller).

DT Sheldon Richardson: He's not your prototypical NT but could be a star at the DE 5 technique of a 3-4. With Fletcher Cox playing opposite the same position, we could have one of the best hybrid 3-4/4-3 fronts in the NFL. The draft is DEEP at DT/NT so don't be surprised if we drafted a run stopping NT in the 3rd round (Georgia NT John Jenkins) if Richardson is our guy in the 1st.

DE Bjoern Werner looks like a young Jared Allen IMO. He's strictly a base 4-3 DE on the next level and needs to improve block shedding/strength against the run. We will have to be certain to maintain the 4-3 alignment if the Eagles feel he's worth taking at the #4 spot.
  • I'd be surprised if the eagles go DE. I'd rather seem them trade down if that's the route they're gonna go. Wouldn't mind seeing them trade down and grabbing more talent/future picks to rebuild with. with the #4 pick though Kelly needs to make sure who ever he drafts is gonna be a guy who's gonna make an impact for years. smart money would be on Joeckel if that's the case
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.