April 08, 2013

trade back?

Interesting idea. Could actually work if the interest around Geno Smith can be built up enough to get a team to bite. Plus I'm almost sure we could get more then just a second for moving back.

11 Comments:
  • I just read an article where they had 10 different guys the Eagles could pick at 4. TEN!!!!! I mean if there are 10 possibilities at four it makes perfect sense (unless the Eagles absolutely have one guy on their mind) to at least try and trade down. There seems to be so many players who are all in the same mold (value wise), and the Eagles have a lot of holes. Trade down, get more picks, and improve the roster as a whole.
  • I think the only guy I would take right now at 4 would be Fisher (if he's even there). He about even with Joeckel at this point and while Joeckel is solid across the board at everything he does and is a little more battle tested, Fisher's athleticism makes him have a lot more upside to become a GREAT linemen. Joeckel will be good no doubt, but it seems to me that Fisher has the greater chance to be better in the long run.

If he isn't though I say we move down to the 7-10 range. We should still be able to grab an immediate impact type player who fits what we are trying to do AND snatch up a few more draft picks to help fuel the rebuild.

I see Oakland as a possible deterrent in this plan only because they are in a similar situation. A lot of people have been linking them to Geno Smith as well, but I dont see them biting. They are obviously trying to turn things around and it's going to start with drafting smarter and Smith is a reach for any team taking him in the top 10 let alone top 5.

They, like the Eagles, are also rebuilding, but the have a shortage of picks this year. They could use the 3rd overall pick to change that and try to replace some of the talent they haven't been able to bring through the first round of the draft in the recent past.
  • Oakland stinks, have for a decade now, and shouldn't be lumped in with the Eagles. I think the Eagles have more talent and a better direction as a whole than every team in the top 10 of the draft except maybe KC and Detroit. Those two teams I think have more over all talent than the Eagles, but only slightly. I have read so many articles stating Chance Warmack is the best player in this draft, but I haven't seen him taken higher in Mocks than 8th. CBS sports mocks had 3 of their for analysts having Geno Smith go to Philly at 4. I watched on the NFL Network they had the Eagles choose three different players in less than a minute for the Eagles and thus was after Mike Mayok just put Fisher over Luke on his draft board. There are either a bunch of misdirection being done by several GMs right now or the players in this draft are just too close to really rank. Regardless of who is there at 4 right now I would still consider trading down, because they are still likely to get a solid player out of the deal especially in the 7-10 pick range plus an additional second or third to boot!
  • We won't be taking Geno Smith 3rd.

Matt Flynn coming to Oakland is as much Reggie trying to prove he was right as it was about getting us another viable starter at QB. Taking Smith that high only incentivizes starting him at some point soon. Otherwise we have another wasted 1st rounder at QB like JaMarcus Russell or Todd Marinovich.

And if we did get Smith and start him, Reggie never gets to prove he was right about Flynn.

Now if the Eagles draft him that's a WHOOOOOLE other set of problems. Chip Kelly is already on record saying that there would be an open competition at QB. he also went on NFL Access last night and exonerated Vick for last year while downplaying the other QB's on his roster. While he was never asked directly about them, he also didn't bother to mention the notion that Vick had to earn ANYTHING. That's telling.

If Kelly goes from QB competition, to Vick, to rookie taken in either round 1 or 2, his credibility will take a hit before he's even coached his first game. Especially since he stated what YOU'VE been saying for days now, about how they don't have to reach for anything at #4. If they take a guy at 4 and he's NOT a reach, then what signal are they sending to the roster?
  • Yea I agree. I just don't see Kelly pulling the trigger on Geno at 4 either. Now if he drops to the later part of the first round I could see them maybe being a player and making a move up to get him. If they were to do that OR draft someone in the 2nd round.

I don't think that would send the message that they're that high on him that he's gonna be the starter day one. I think it says that they think he's the guy for the future but needs to take a backseat for a little and learn the system a la Colin Kaepernick. I'd be even more comfortable is they traded down from 4 like I suggested here because I'd give us more picks to play with and thus take a QB while still filling other needs.
  • I wouldn't mind as long as they could still get top talent (Johnson, Warmack, Lotulelei) and at least another 2.
  • At this point anything is possible. It's kind of messed up the Eagles are in the top 5 in a year when there isn't a clear list of top 5 players.
  • I hope the Eagles stay at 4. We pick early in the 1st and 2nd. We already have 9 picks. We're poised to add a lot of youth by camp.

Most teams go with the maximum number of player the league will allow in camp, but so far I have yet to see the there is a MINIMUM of players that must be in camp. Personally I advocate the idea of fewer players. Only about 60 out of 90 players are even up for serious consideration of 53 spots (45 active) in any given year. So why go in with 85-90 guys? Take 66-70. Instead of a fight to be one of a few who squeeze through to MAYBE make the Practice Squad, turn it into a fight to not be one of the few (13-17) who gets cut. Make the dream so close they can taste it. You want to see guys fight like mad dogs to stay?

I noticed that when I was playing. In May we'd get 90-103 guys, everybody was Marshall Faulk, Tory Holt and Ray Lewis. It was disgusting. By August running laps in pads and helmets at 95 degrees in the shade, we'd be down to 46, 45 guys, because all the pretty little toys with their "prison puff" had quit.

At THAT point guys would do the math. 45 of us and 22 starting spots? THAT is when the viciousness came out of us. You knew it was a good practice when every 2 minutes you heard "SAME! SAME!" being yelled. By the time we got to the scrimmages it was like feeding us Christians.

That's what I'd like to see here. A smaller group of guys who feel less like like they're CHASING a spot and more like they're PROTECTING a spot.

But I think the Eagles will field 90 guys anyway.
  • Well a team can have 61 guys (53 roster spots and 8 practice squad). So if you're only bringing in 66-70 I think you're starting that intense competition to early. I think that bringing more guys in you get to look through the group of guys that are the borderline guys and say who really wants it.

Maybe that number should be brought down a little to say 80-85 but when you're dealing with guys in training camp you're look for the guy everyone overlooked in the draft who's a diamond in the rough and you're looking for that veteran who everyone passed over in free agency to show he's still got it. When you think of it like that you have to cast a wide net if you want to find a Victor Cruz, Wes Welker, James Harrison, or Jason Peters. If you cut the camp roster too far down you limit your chances of finding a guy like that.
  • I agree completely with your point. So what if they have more guys early than other teams. On a 4-12 roster the last thing this team should be is business as usual and with Chip Kelly they won't be. There has been rumors of ex military trainers involved with the Eagles now. I heard a rumor that Chip Kelly plans to run multiple offenses on the field at the same time in practice. The teams will be racing up and down the field. Anyone who thinks of Chip Kelly in a traditional way is completely underestimating him.
  • Yea I think he's thinking outside the box a lot. Now I'm not saying it will or won't work (as a fan I'm hoping it does) but hey it's some new ideas. It'll be exciting to see how it all pans out. I'm not giving Kelly my vote of confidence yet I'm just sitting back waiting for him to prove me he deserves it.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Storylines for each Week 1 NFL game

Welker suspended four games

Best, worst MLB players of August

Cowboys looking to add Michael Sam

Irsay suspended six games, fined $500K

NFL player's odd reason for face tattoo

Tebow drafted over Henne in fantasy

Texans, J.J. Watt agree on extension

WATCH: Pacquiao's tribute to NFL

Raiders name Derek Carr starter

Four Phillies no-hit the Braves

CFL team has reached out to Sam

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.