March 05, 2014

TWO BIRDS IN THE BUSH?

Could it happen?

21 Comments:
  • Im not making the Nhamdi mistake again and falling for the hype. Ive only watched a few clips but from what Ive seen TJ Ward looks more like an Eagle guy than Byrd. Do we need a ballhawk or a guy that ca get real physical. I think Ward packs a bigger punch.
  • Let me make sure I'm hearing you right.

You're saying that our on-going (5 year) problems with Safety coverage takes a backseat to having a guy who can hit in the box?
  • DEF go after Byrd are you crazy he's the best in the league right now. Ok top five so no one goes on a tangent about who really the best is.
    Ward plays the SS Byrd is FS he'll shorten the field. Personally I really like Earl Wolff at SS. Granted he needs some development. But I'd feel much better with him and Byrd. But I'm hoping they might be able to pull off a miracle and get em both.
  • Make this happen yesterday.
  • Fingers crossed...
  • The only thing that concerns me is there are a lot of teams that have an enormous amount of cap space. The Eagles have a good amount of money, but they can't get into bidding wars with teams like Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Oakland. They have all the dough. Then you have teams with money and they are good like Green Back and Indy. That's why the Eagles are going to have to get in early on this one. If they wait they will lose out.
  • Like I said on flips site. Sign ward, we can probably get him cheaper than most teams with all the connections we have plus playing time, and Kendrick Lewis. No need to go out blow money on Byrd and watch him site on the sideline with a bad foot.
  • I believe that foot thing is over. He only sat out, because he was in a one year deal and didn't want to risk injury. It was an injury that really could only be healed with rest. Lewis has also had his bouts with injuries and he doesn't bring the ball hawk skills of Byrd. That's something we sorely need and haven't had in a long time.
  • Well what happened when he went down in the pro bowl?
  • The same thing that happened when Shady went down. He got nicked up, but he's fine. No reason to put him back into a meaningless game bro.

Update: March 06, 2014
    I had to add this here. Byrd didn't hurt his foot in the Pro Bowl. He hurt his back. He's fine bro.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1937548-jairus-byrd-suffers-back-injury-in-pro-bowl
  • He didn't get nicked up. He went down cause of his foot
  • Na bro. Plantar Fasciitis often causes back problems. I've seen it all the time working in the medical field. Any problems with the feet end up hurting the back. That's a fact bro.
  • He claims to be fine. If nothing else before they sign him they should make sure he's healthy, but nobody is making a big deal over his Pro Bowl injury or his health. The fact the Bills offered him such a large contract after that has me even less concerned.
  • Can't see this happening although if they can figure out how without strapping themselves long term I'm all for it. I doubt either one is signed. Besides possibly looking to sign Foles long term in 2015 they also have to think about contracts for Kendricks, Boykin (although he may think twice about re-signing with the Eagles if they continue to keep him at the nickel) and possibly Maclin if he shows he's healthy. Looking forward to Saturday and scanning the internet for rumors. Hoping for some safety help (again, would love Byrd, Ward...both would be great just don't see it happening...god I hope I'm wrong!), a corner, possibly an edge rusher and unfortunately a kicker (I'd be apt to give Henery a pass on his struggles on field goals this past year but the Eagles need a kicker who can put the ball out of the end zone more often). They'll probably draft a receiver in the first 3 rounds (I'd love to see them sign a proven returner...possibly a 4th or 5th receiver)...maybe even in the first knowing Kelly (never thought they'd draft a TE in the 2nd last year).
  • Wow you want the world LOL.
  • May as well get greedy, right? LOL. I know they won't address all my wishes in free agency, Eazy and I also realize that Roseman will probably go the second tier route (and worse) like he did last year but last year worked better then 2011 did so like usual I won't judge till I see them in midnight green. They should get some players that will help move this team in the right direction...Ward or Byrd would be icing on the cake. Agree with you and flip...Byrd would be the better fit. Need that playmaker more than the tone setter.
  • This was meant in another place, but I'll put it here.

They can't touch Foles at least for another year, and they don't have to touch him until 2016. There's a lot they can find out by then (is he really the guy or not?) and there are guys like Cole and Jackson who will be over 10 mil each in 2015. I doubt either player gets to see that much money from the Eagles. Also I know people are concerned about signing Kedricks, Cox, and Boykins and others, but nobody knows what the future holds. Ryans could go down week one and Naje Goode steps in and plays great making Ryans expendable. That's 6 million right there extra. What if one of the guys we are looking to pay in the future have a career ending injury? The opportunities to win in the NFL are too few to just let a player of Byrd's potential to just be passed up over hypotheticals. I feel if they can't get both then sign Byrd and draft Pryor. Pryor could be that tone setter we are looking for, but he's also a pretty good athlete. In a couple of years when Byrd is starting to wear down he could eventually take over and be the man to go along with Wolff.
  • I love your thinking, Eazy...unfortunately that's just the way a couple of fans look at things in the NFL. Roseman and other GMs have to keep one eye on the future...their teams depend on it...their jobs depend on it. Either way you look at...planning on giving Foles a long term deal or thinking that Ryans could go down is nothing but hypotheticals. One thing we all have to remember also is that some of that money the Eagles have to play with this year is still rollover money...if they use all of it up they will HAVE to cut next year to get below the cap and it will be even harder to give out those deals to keep their own in the fold...just being realistic. Like I stated, I'm looking forward to Saturday and even more so Tuesday and I'm praying that strong rumors start indicating that Byrd (or Ward) will become an Eagle...just won't be holding my breath.
  • I have confidence in Roseman that he will be able to sign the players he needs to sign when the time comes. Guys like Herremans, Cole, (maybe unfortunately) Mathis, Ryans, Celek, Casey, Chung, Graham, and a few others will either soon come off the books or they will be restructured. When the time comes if Foles proves his worth he will most certainly be compensated.
  • I think the Eagles should keep nate Allen. Ive been critical of him but he made some modest progress. You bring in a quality free agent and keep allen and maybe draft a safety I thik you have significantly upgraded the secondary. How about moving Williams to safety and drafting a corner and bringig a FA safety in? Now you have Williams as a backup corner ad put him in a position he probably can play.
  • I would be okay with keeping Allen if they get Byrd. Byrd is the best free safety available. We need his playmaking production. The problem with a Byrd/Allen combo is neither are what I would consider to be great tacklers, but you can't have Allen combined with a guy like Ward. They both play SS (though I think Allen would be a better FS) and neither are great in coverage. Allen isn't bad, but he would have to be moved to FS. That's a lot of jumbling around just to try and be cheap. Just pay Byrd. Heck pay Byrd and Ward.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Hamilton eschews alcohol celebration

NFL's five biggest let-down players

Concussions lead Texas QB to retire

LeBron's new and improved hairline

Another NFL player arrested

Mayor egged for moving ballpark

Nike halts Peterson sponsorship

Fan drops wedding ring on field

Ronda Rousey rips Cyborg...again

NFL, NFLPA agree, players reinstated

Five NFL surprises after two weeks

Adrian Peterson out indefinitely

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.