January 06, 2013

VICK TO REMAIN THE 2013 STARTER?

MICHAEL Vick may not be as gone as we thought. I'm seeing on NFL.com that he's being used (in tandem with Nick Foles) as bait to lure Chip Kelly to the Eagles.  (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000122648/article/eagles-selling-michael-vick-nick-foles-to-chip-kelly).

The idea is that Vick's skillset will allow Kelly to try his system at the NFL level better than he could in Cleveland. This worries me if there's any truth to it. I would rather have a new coach come in, cut Vick if he needs to, and tailor his system to his talent, rather than to have a coach try to shoehorn his system around whomever is on the roster. If Vick isn't cut so be it, but I don't want him to stay just so a gimmick offense can be run here. It sends a bad signal as far as what happens with Nick Foles or what happens if they can't lay hold to a legit mobile QB once Vick retires.

16 Comments:
  • Your guy last year (Russell Wilson) would have been great regardless of whether the Eagles were using him to lure a future coach they like or to be able to go into next year with a better grasp on their QB situation. The man can play! I was hoping the Eagles were targeting him in the 3rd (I heard they were but had to settle for Foles) but looking back it's a shame they didn't "reach" and take him with their 2nd #2.

I'm not thrilled at all with the thought of wasting another year on Vick and am hoping if the Eagles sign Kelly he can modify his system to not only fit the NFL but to fit the players he has around him. The whole prospect of facing a new future with an old QB who has struggled for two years doesn't excite me too much. If Vick is the man I will still root him on but my excitement will be tenative.

Rumors are circling that he may decide to stay at Oregon which will surprise me with Oregon facing sanctions but you never know. He also may not get this opportunity again if he takes a longterm deal. I'm sure he will learn to live with his choice no matter what he decides.
  • I firmly believe that some of these coaching options will be a step back, and THAT has been my point all season as people have been calling for Andy Reid's head.
    Folks have put it down to complaining, or clinging to the past, but as the days pass and more details of this coaching search become clearer, I think people are beginning to get what I was talking about.
  • I appreciate your opinion, flip but I'm sure there is a coach that can do as good a job (and better) as Reid has done these last few years. Who knows if the Eagles will find him during this search, during the next search or maybe they will go through that great lull and won't find him for years. In my opinion it was time to move on (and you know I like Reid and thought he was a very good coach at one time) regardless of what bumps the Eagles face pursuing that next great coach. Not looking to argue...just giving you my opinion on Reid.
  • I'm sure the Eagles will find a good coach. I'm just less than enthused with what we have to pick from this year. Andy Reid is not the only coach to win a game for the Eagles and he won't be the last. There will be other winning seasons. The world didn't end in 2012.
  • I'm not liking this. I feel like Kelly will come here and fall flat on his face. Not only will he try to force his system, he also has ZERO NFL experience and (more importantly) ZERO NFL contacts. Who will be his coordinators/position coaches? College guys? I hope not.
  • Apparently you aren't aware that he's staying in Oregon. He would be out of his mind to go to the eagles.
  • Nonsense. There will always be a better coach. That's how it always is. Eventually someone will come along that's more driven, more demanding, and just straight up hungrier than you. I think the game has clearly passed Andy Reid by.
  • Any legitimate FO would have realized within a year whether or not Kolb was a franchise quarterback. Not being able to figure that out is why we're in the position we are.
  • Well that FO is still firmly in place and looking to tempt a replacement HC with the duo of Foles and Vick, because everybody KNOWS that the shared QB model has been SO successful at this level. Now if we could only pair THAT with an iffy offensive system led by a guy with no NFL experience....

Seriously though. Ray Horton, Vic Fangio, any defensive coach with NFL experience would go a long way to making me feel more confident about next season. (Not that making me comfy is Lurie's top priority.)

I say next season because in this league, if the guy does any worse than 6-10, he'll open 2014 with questions about whether he's on the hot seat. I think players play different when they smell a coach's blood in the water.
  • I don't think the next coach will be on the hot seat if he goes 6-10 next season. First that would be an improvement over the previous season and second Andy went 5-11 in his first season and he wasn't close to being on the hot seat, third Lurie is the most patient owner alive to give Reid 14 years. Job security isn't a factor for the next HC.
  • I don't think he would be, but the local media will try to manufacture a story where there isn't one. That's one of the reasons they wanted Andy gone. His locker rooms tended to be as leakproof as NFL locker rooms get. If the media had gotten themselves a college coach with no idea of how to handle 53 millionaires under CONSTANT scrutiny, they'd have had a field day, and I'd have bought stock in the local papers.
  • Come on though flip. The past two seasons that locker room has been leaking like a water fall. Asante saying they are playing Monopoly with Lurie's money. The defensive line not even meeting with the rest of the defense. The report of Washburn calling Juan "Juanita." This team has done so much talking the past two seasons that it's almost sad. Reid can say whatever he wants, but I think he had a lame duck mentality all season. He didn't seem to care. The players were undisciplined both on and off the field. There were also many in the media who were very much pro Andy. Anthony Gargano, and Howard Eskin to name a few. The media and the fans are not the reason Andy got fired. It was Andy's own actions or lack there of were the reasons. If Lurie ever did anything because the media told him too this team would be all over the place. I don't think there is a sole person in the media who thinks Howie Roseman should sill have a job, yet he is here at the forefront making critical decisions. The Eagles listen to the media sure, but they don't do anything the media tells them to do.
  • I doubt that they would. But the players who ALWAYS say they don't read the papers or watch the news (total BS) will be distracted by it. And when established vets who haven't bought into the system,decide to go head to head with the new coach (and we've all seen that that this usually goes AGAINST a new coach), that extra media push just turns the entire season into circus.

We've done the circus this year. I want to be able to focus on football again.
  • Winning will make it easier to focus on football. I think the Eagles have been over rated to say the least. The new coach has to come in and focus on the fundamentals with this team. Far too often the Eagles best players hold the ball too far from their bodies, take poor angles for tackles, take stupid penalties, veterans like Nnamdi lost standard cover abilities, and the blocking schemes have been flat out atrocious. There is much work to be done, but if this team can get back to the basics, and build the fundamentals the winning will come back. Of course they could use a franchise quarterback.
  • Under coach kelly??
    we'll see

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Gallery: Dancers of the NBA playoffs

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

10 best scenes from baseball movies

10 GIFs that sum up the Mike Woodson era in NYC

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.