August 02, 2013

Was Cooper Knudged To Do The Right Thing?

Regardless of how it happened, Cooper did the right thing to step away for a while. His presence was ultimately detrimental to the team. Players were having a difficult time focussing when all of the circus that has befallen the Eagles training camp is directly related to the ignorant comments of one individual. Him being with the team brought drama and division to the locker room. This very fragile team that does lack leadership can not withstand the Riley Cooper hate rant. Football wise the Eagles should have erged Cooper to go drown this path sooner rather than later, but at least someone made the right call here. I don't know if Cooper will return a reformed racist or even if he comes back at all. The point is he's gone and the distractions he brought upon this team can leave with his selfishness. Good riddance, because he and his 46 catches won't be missed.

8 Comments:
  • This team never seeks to amaze me. What do they teach them in Eagle meetings? Are they taught responsibility at all? Whatever the case it reflects poorly on this organization aqnd has put a damper on training camp. Is this really a team to get excited about? they need to go back to a hard nosed no nonsense approach with rules. Its become a a soap opera team that gets no respect from the media or fans around the league. Its flat out humiliating.
  • The should have never let this thing drag out as long as it did. Cooper isn't a very good player, but their indecisiveness spit the team, the fans, and they became a national media circus just to protect 46 catches. Frankly he isn't good enough to keep around.
  • Since when is a sentence a rant?
  • Rant:
    Definition of RANT

intransitive verb
    : to talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner
    : to scold vehemently
    transitive verb
    : to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion

How long do you think a rant has to be in order to be considered a rant? Instead of trying very hard (and failing) to get me to support a racist, just stick to your stance of defending a racist.
  • Of course he was nudged to come forward and discuss this and to take a leave of absence. The Eagles don't need this as their focal point...now or at all. The Eagles were probably hoping this would blow over in a matter of days but it hasn't even done that on their own team let alone around the NFL. It will be interesting to see how they handle it going forward. Cooper has been the 3rd man in the last couple years...Jackson and Johnson on the outside could be exciting but unless the Eagles get creative (hopefully Kelly is doing just that) they could get man handled all day. Benn has been and still is an injury risk and Momah is a project who has almost no college experience and the rest of the roster is full of question marks at the position. Thank god this is a season where we (most of us anyway) truly expect nothing...to me seeing what some of these players has may help out in the long run along with gaining them experience. Do the Eagles walk away from the drama and Cooper or do they bring him back (like they are claiming) and try to move on? Just more questions that will be answered in the next few weeks.
  • They try the sniff test with Cooper, but if one of the other guys step up Cooper will be gone. Even Cooper's g-mom has little sympathy for him.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/03/riley-cooper-grandma-philadelphia-eagles-n-word-racist/

Williams of sconce fame expects Cooper to come back and apologize to the team for a second time. If the Eagles allow this to continue the racist who mad threats, will come out looking like the victim.
  • One young man I forgot about here that could spell the end for Cooper is Russell Shepard. I hear he has been opening eyes at camp and could be the other starter outside if he continues to impress (read something yesterday and today there is an article on CSNPhilly). Jackson and Shepard on the outside, Avant in the slot with Johnson, Benn and possibly Momah filling out the position could be intriguing if nothing else. You brought up the Eagles possibly finding their Cruz but I'd be happy if they find another Maclin in this bunch...maybe Shepard is it.

• That won't hurt my feelings. Macling has been somewhat of a disappointment to me. Cooper hasn't done much either, but at least he plays special teams. I have been hearing good things about Sheppard and his work ethic. I hope he pans out.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Welker suspended four games

Best, worst MLB players of August

Cowboys looking to add Michael Sam

Irsay suspended six games, fined $500K

NFL player's odd reason for face tattoo

Tebow drafted over Henne in fantasy

Texans, J.J. Watt agree on extension

WATCH: Pacquiao's tribute to NFL

Raiders name Derek Carr starter

Four Phillies no-hit the Braves

CFL team has reached out to Sam

Switch pitcher could see action in MLB

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.