May 12, 2013

WE HAD SOME GOOD TIMES.....

THE Transition is complete. Amy Trask has stepped down as our CEO. I'd be lying through my teeth if I said I was happy about it.

I was hoping that "Win baby Win" and "Pride and Poise" would be modernized. That certain Raider staples (Speed kills; The other team's quarterback must go down and must go down hard; You have to win with a vision for the Super Bowl; A commitment to excellence; Once a Raider, always a Raider), would have new life breathed into them from a modern perspective that AL DAVIS was simply not capable of adopting. (Or willing to try to adopt.)

This is a true re-making. This is REAL re-birth. It'd be a bold-faced lie for me to say I'm comfortable with it. I'm not sure of how much of what I fell in love with in 1989 will change here in 2013. When I thought it was an updating, I was stoked. When I thought it was a return to principle, I was stoked. Not stoked at the moment, but I'm still excited.

So far the organization has made solid if not shrewd moves. So far there is a focus on being great at fundamental football. So far an emphasis has been put on building a solid locker room, which will operate under a coach who has been granted time to build, by a management that transitioned without controversy and is looking down the road. No lame ducks anywhere. When a man looks up, he knows he is responsible to the man above him for what he has been asked to do. Players, coaches, and management know this will be a slow climb and nobody is under any illusions and all are on the same page. It is IMPOSSIBLE to not be excited by that level of leadership. Not stoked, but excited.

I'm sad to see Amy go. She's been a constant, and part of the Raider experience for me the entire time I've been a Raider fan. Through Superbowl and 4-12 season. Through losing Marcus Allen, and signing Jerry Rice. Through 51-3 drubbing by the Bills in the 1990 AFC Championship game to the Divine Interception Game against the Texans with only 10 of ours on the field, just one day after AL's passing. Amy was with us for that entire ride. And it was one hell of a ride wasn't it? 

Via con Dios, Amy. And thank you.

Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Breaking down the NL MVP race

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.