September 05, 2013

WEEK ONE: POINTLESSLY GROSS HEADLINE

USUALLY division games are close affairs because both team's rosters, and coaching staffs are generally familiar with each other. If the teams have been together for 4 or 5 years, then both teams will KNOW each other. (I'm reminded of that playoff hosing we took against the Cowpies, where Jeremiah Trotter admitting to being stunned when pre-snap, Tony Romo told him he was lined up in the wrong spot, and was right about it.)

Monday will bring us a whole other monster though. Division rivals that are strangers. A Foreskins team that our rookie coach CAN study; and no revealed tendencies for their veteran, Super Bowl winning coach to base his game plan on. So while Chip Kelly will be acclimating to the speed and stresses of a full-on NFL game; Mike Shanahan will have to roll with the punches as he plays Lab Rat #1 to the Chip Kelly experience. 

In short, Monday night will be a game of pure coaching acumen. The man who can adjust the fastest is the man who'll wing the game.

For the record, I'm picking Kelly to win this one. Remember Steve Spurrier? New coaches usually get a period where the lack of tape works in their favor. Add to that a tempo that the 'skins can't truly simulate in practice, and you have the makings of a firefight, given our piss poor Defense.

My pick: EAGLES 31 Foreskins 28

9 Comments:
  • With all the attention on RG people lose sight of Eagles offense. Eagles cover in tight drama filled game and take last minute field goal shot to win it. Not sure they hit it.
  • I doubt this'll be a last minute type game. More like a 'skins comeback that runs out of time.

I think we'll grab an early lead off turnovers from a rusty Griffin, who hasn't played a down in the preseason, won't be mentally up to game speed yet, and will be doing the young man thing, where he presses to prove the point that he could have been playing all along.

At 21-14, 28-14 I think Shurmur tells Kelly to eat the clock and the 'skins rally falls short.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Our bye is week 12. We'll have a win long before then.
  • This game scares me cause we all know the defense sucks. I can see Morris proving it wasn't a fluke last year. He seems to be the forgotten about man. I'm opposite of u flip. I think the Washington football club takes the early lead but we take the momentum back scoring fast at the end of the second that leads us in the second half. Orakpo and Kerrigan are going to be a very interesting match ups. They aren't the best in coverage but can get after the qb,also what happened to carriker? I heard he was playing but their official team site roster has him listed on the PUP. Overall I think their defense matches up with our standard REID offense well. I can't wait to see how CHIP counters that with different sets like his 4TE smash u or go over u plan.
  • I think the "Spread' part of this system is exactly what cuts the guts out of players like Orakpo especially in the run game.
  • It wasn't 31 to 28, it was 33 to 27.

The gist is the same though. Kelly came out frenetic and having no significant film on his system, Shanahan's club got rolled early. All the adjustments were made by the 'skins however in the second half.

I'd be lying if i didn't say that concerns me somewhat.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

No evidence of cancer in Jim Kelly

Best gift ever given for a jersey number?

Kent State center dies unexpectedly

Ref avoided doing Redskins games due to team name

Schilling: Tobacco caused mouth cancer

Most indispensables college players

WATCH: Bryan Cox's sex revelation

Ex-NFL LB diagnosed with ALS

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.